report from event

DemoCoder said:
ANova said:
I figured the 14,800 score in 3dmark03 was bs. Every review that I've seen says it's around 11-12k. Still, I am impressed. It's definitely an improvement over the FX line.

It's not BS, just a heavily overclocked system. Nvidia builds uberboxes it seems as part of its performance gathering I guess to see how CPU limits effect the GPU scaling.

I'm almost positive that score wasn't a result from an overclocked system but rather from running in 640x480 or 800x600 res. 3DMark03 is largely CPU independant.

Going back to the power concumption, that's ~30 watts higher than the 9800 XT under load, which is believable.

MrGaribaldi said:
DemoCoder said:
It's not BS, just a heavily overclocked system. Nvidia builds uberboxes it seems as part of its performance gathering I guess to see how CPU limits effect the GPU scaling.

Wouldn't it then have been better to show scores for a regular system (12k) and an oc'ed one (14k)?

That would really have shown the scalability of the card, and left no ambiguity about the score...

No, it is not a promotion of the card rather a promotion of partner's pre-built system.
Actually in the event the score was shown after the quote of Falcom Northwest's ceo, Voodoo pc's boss and alienware's ceo and the nvidia's guy Dan said that only when using their tweaked out pc you can get that high score, which most out of box product(even with nv40) can't.
That sounds a lot to me as to promote their partner's product but also said that nv40 is capable to scale well with system tweraking.

The audience was full of geeks with watercooled mega-case-modded overclock systems. Nvidia just finished talking about an Uber-box they built and sold to charity, and just finished showing system vendors talking about their tweaked systems. Then then followed up with the 14k 3dMark03 slide and mentioned you won't get that on normal systems, but the slide got gasps and cheers from the audience.

I heard people around me saying "WHAT THE FUCK!" and other people gasping. Then there was a huge cheer and clapping.

This was Nvidia PR tossing a bone to the geek rice boy system modders in the audience (vast majority of people in the audience)

I'm new around here but I have been having fun following all of the graphics card battles and this site is a nice place for reviews.

DemoCoder: check PMs, I'm willing to host as much high-res content that you can throw my way.

ugh, and I thought my vids/pics were low quality. Damn, where the hell is that guy who filmed everything with the XL1?

I take back my FC demo comments. It was hard to understand the guy when he was talking, but it looks like it's just offset/parallax mapping. Nothing 3.0 specific really and he was honest about it (although NVidia PR tried to make it look like 3.0 only)

I thought he said "displacement mapping" but he said "mumble" displacement mapping, view dependent bump map.

The Crytek guy in video 103_0372.avi said:
which is only possible with 2.0 or 3.0 Shader Model
He said that twice when he was showcasing the gravel beach effects (at ~1:30 and ~2:20 of the video), so I dunno if it's a mistake. The nVidia guy was definitly pushing that it was only possible on SM 3.0.

DemoCoder said:
The audience was full of geeks with watercooled mega-case-modded overclock systems. Nvidia just finished talking about an Uber-box they built and sold to charity, and just finished showing system vendors talking about their tweaked systems. Then then followed up with the 14k 3dMark03 slide and mentioned you won't get that on normal systems, but the slide got gasps and cheers from the audience.

I heard people around me saying "WHAT THE FUCK!" and other people gasping. Then there was a huge cheer and clapping.

This was Nvidia PR tossing a bone to the geek rice boy system modders in the audience (vast majority of people in the audience)

Didn't you hear about the latest NVIDIA futuremark optimization that has futermark report results in base 6 and not 10.

Edited to let people know I am joking :LOL:

hey Mr Coder, do u have a higher quality video u can put up of the Unreal3 engine? I wanna see this thing in better detail. You mentioned that you could put up a 100meg version. Something therabouts would be great so that we can all see it with more detail.

oh, and any vids of the other games u got would be great aswell.

Thanks a lot, great stuff BTW. :oops:

davepermen said:
103_0372.avi where to get it?

http://www.evilmofo.com/images/geforcelan/

underneath the pic which states the new titles that suport SM3.0. There are 2 clips of FarCry, the link just says farcry and its in red, there's also a demo of Nalu. They are really, really bad quality though. I dunno why that guy even bothered to put them up, he could have atleast used some good compression tehcnology, even if it comes out at a bit larger size, its Block City in those vids :rolleyes:

DemoCoder, any news on some more vids you can release?

100MB version of the next-gen UnrealEngine demonstration? Gimme! :oops:

I hope you have it, DemoCoder, and you can find a host for it :)

The fullsize dump from the video is 1.1gb. I've been trying to find a video codec that will reduce it to about 200mb with not that much quality loss. I did a test on Sorenson (which is similar to H.264) but the results weren't that good, ditto for WMV9. I need to do it on Linux where I have tools for measuring statistics and selecting optimal codec settings, but I have't gotten around to it.

Let me see if I can do it tommorow. I'll still need 200mb+ hosting.

DemoCoder said:
The fullsize dump from the video is 1.1gb. I've been trying to find a video codec that will reduce it to about 200mb with not that much quality loss. I did a test on Sorenson (which is similar to H.264) but the results weren't that good, ditto for WMV9.

What about XviD?

Back