article on wsj on nalu and ruby

DemoCoder said:
Nalu's polygons are in her hair, which is frankly *amazing* if you've played with it hands on. NVidia's trying to show just how good the hair simulation, skin shaders, water, and lighting can get if you pour everything into it. Nalu could be scaled back, still look most as good, and be in a detailed environment.

The Timbury Nvidia demo is more similar to what ATI is doing with Ruby. Less tech complexity, but more fun and artistic.
Oh so you have actually *seen* what ATi is doing with Ruby then and you know that Nvidias First demo is "more technical" and their second one Timbury is more "Artistic and fun" than what ATi is doing... :rolleyes:

DaveBaumann said:
ATI and NVIDIA are trying to achieve very different things with their demos. NVIDIA is using many different technical features and putting them all into a single character for a tech demonstration, however there is nothing else in the demo. "Ruby" is not a tech demonstration about any one thing, but more showing what can be achieved on this level of hardware in a more involved scene.

Ruby does sorta look like the girl from the original Radeon's Ark Demo.
________
Free drupal themes

Last edited by a moderator:
Hellbinder said:
DemoCoder said:
Nalu's polygons are in her hair, which is frankly *amazing* if you've played with it hands on. NVidia's trying to show just how good the hair simulation, skin shaders, water, and lighting can get if you pour everything into it. Nalu could be scaled back, still look most as good, and be in a detailed environment.

The Timbury Nvidia demo is more similar to what ATI is doing with Ruby. Less tech complexity, but more fun and artistic.
Oh so you have actually *seen* what ATi is doing with Ruby then and you know that Nvidias First demo is "more technical" and their second one Timbury is more "Artistic and fun" than what ATi is doing... :rolleyes:

please don't do this Hellbinder. we know you love ati, we know.

Has anyone else noticed that in the pic of Ruby the background environment and ninja character seem to be drawn directly from ATI's 'Advanced Depth of Field' paper from GDC2004? And the background was also shown in their 'Skin Shader' paper.

Now let's look at the picture again - we see Ruby's hair, Ruby's skin, depth of field, shadowing......

If you want a preview of what the Ruby demo is likely to be about, go read up on ATI's GDC papers - it seems likely they've been directly translated into the Ruby demo. Anyway, a lot of you guys have probably already noticed this but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Cheers

SmuvMoney said:
(Note: If Nalu's demo does actually do something like this, please remember that I haven't seen a full running demo, just a few pics so far so be gentle and provide a link. :) )
Anyway, I'm just blabbing...

Here is a low res video taken of her swimming around. The Demo doesn't have any backgrounds or reefs or anything. It seems like her complexity is all that can be handled.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nvidia/nalu_256k.wmv

And here is the Timbury one:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nvidia/timbury_256k.wmv

DaveBaumann said:
ATI and NVIDIA are trying to achieve very different things with their demos. NVIDIA is using many different technical features and putting them all into a single character for a tech demonstration, however there is nothing else in the demo. "Ruby" is not a tech demonstration about any one thing, but more showing what can be achieved on this level of hardware in a more involved scene.

And here I was thinking they were both trying to outdo each other in the size of the breasts in their tech demos. :LOL:

LW.

nV did seem to tone it down a bit from Dawn to Nalu. I'm wondering which four-letter name the two IHVs will choose next!

AlphaWolf said:
DaveBaumann said:
Actually, I was hoping that Ruby would be somewhat more bountyful in the bosom department! :oops: ;)

Well she is supposed to have a pneumatic chest...

heh... I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that part from the newspaper clip :LOL:

Dave, weren''t you complaining about the 'joviality' of topics in this forum, and here you are being part of the problem. :)

Anyway bringing some point to this post, and this is probably obvious to many, the Ruby demo is likely using the techniques that ATI presented at GDC.

Hellbinder said:
DemoCoder said:

Heh, he didn't say that, all he said is that Timbury is more like what ATi normally does, though, by the less technical, I think he means per single character.

I've always prefered ATI's demo's as they render a full 3D scene with a lot of detail throughout the world, whereas the nVidia demo's are more single character dependant. Plus, I've always thought that the main reason NV did it that way with the NV3x demos is because it couldnt handle rendering a full scene with good detail and respectable speeds, using a lot of PS2 instructions, so they limited it to just one particular object. that's my opinion.
Of course, the NV40 is a different story.

Colourless said:
Anyway bringing some point to this post, and this is probably obvious to many, the Ruby demo is likely using the techniques that ATI presented at GDC.

Its the other way around - they presented what they presented at GDC because of the work done on Ruby.

I think people will be fairly impressed the first time they see it in realtime.

Yes that is true, just like Dawn which danced on a stick with a static background the ATI Nature Demo demonstrated much more detail with running water and the famous monkey. This case is no different.

Back