Isn't buying a NV40 or R420 a dumb idea?

Tommy said:
Why not wait a little while for real PCI-Express cards?

Am I missing something?

Tommy because you'd have to get a new motherboard to support the PCI Express cards too.

Personally I'm just going to get an NV40 or R420 now, then wait until BTX cases come out, get a BTX Athlon 64 940 socket motherboard, an Athlon 64 940 pin chip, then I'll sell off the NV40 or R420 and get their PCI express counterparts. That way I won't have to upgrade again for a very long time.

surfhurleydude said:
Tommy said:

Am I missing something?

Tommy because you'd have to get a new motherboard to support the PCI Express cards too.

Personally I'm just going to get an NV40 or R420 now, then wait until BTX cases come out, get a BTX Athlon 64 940 socket motherboard, an Athlon 64 940 pin chip, then I'll sell off the NV40 or R420 and get their PCI express counterparts. That way I won't have to upgrade again for a very long time.

As far as I can remember, AMD will not go to BTX and stay with ATX. Intel is moveing to BTX because they have too. The heat out put of the prescott and next gen chip will need BTX. AMDs K8 and next gen chips will not out put that amount a heat.

{Sniping}Waste said:
As far as I can remember, AMD will not go to BXT and stay with ATX. Intel is moveing to BTX because they have too. The heat out put of the prescott and next gen chip will need BTX. AMDs K8 and next gen chips will not out put that amount a heat.

I'm guessing that it's more a wait and see attitude from AMD then a definite no. As you say, they're in no hurry while Intel are.

Although i wonder what AMD has to do with BTX, isn't it just a change in the motherboard layout ?

There is no reason why they shouldn't want to go the BTX route, and I'm sure as a MAJOR AMD chipset manufacturer, nVidia sure as hell wouldn't mind the better airflow.

Well..it dpeends for me. Think my system would bebfit from a 6800nu?

Athlon XP 1700+@2600+
1 gb DDR333
Im thinking it will, becasue in farCry dropping settings increases my FPS, and id imagine thats all video. besides, i dont like buying new technology immediatly.

Ok.

I have a 2.4 Ghz with 9700Pro system with 512 megs of Rdram.

I like to have mid/upper end system so to speak.

I am willing to get a new system this coming XMAS 2004.

Should I just wait till then and buy a whole new system, or should I get a NV40 or R420 and keep my system for at least another year till Xmas 2005?

I must admit thet even though I'm one of the "have to have the fastest" crowd that I'm strongly considering waiting this round out.

I already have a R9800XT and am completely happy with its performance and image quality. I can run all my games with all settings maxed at 1280x960 with full aniso and at least 2X AA (usually 4XAA though) and have decent enough FPS for my liking, except one. Farcry requires me to run at 1152x864 with the above settings.

With PCIe coming soon I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade anything at this point. My next upgrade will probably be a new mobo proc. so it would make sense to wait for PCIe.

I guess if the benchmarks for the new cards show a noticeable speed increase for my current system I may have to re-consider but I'm leaning towards waiting at this point.

Of course the release of Doom3 or HL2 may change my mind also. :)

Guess I'll have to wait and see how the 9800xt holds up to those games.

Not everyone is going to make the jump to PCI mobos right away, a lot of us plan to wait until the early adopters find/fix all the bugs. ;)

Im either just waiting till i do a full upgrade (which i have NO idea when it will be) or upgrade.

Unless NV40 for $300 gives me noticeably better image quality/performance then my 9700Pro, i think ill wait. Watching farcry play with medium and them max setting hwoever makes me want to upgrade.

For me, I'm not really that bothered about CPU clock speed (hey, I underclock my CPU as it is!). I like the mobo I have (ASUS A7N8X-D) because it has all the stuff I want integrated (so I don't care about PCI slots!).

I'm very hesitant to change it until NVIDIA (or someone else) comes out with a chipset with PCI-E that exceeds nForce2 specs (specifically in the sound arena).

So, I'm stuck with Athlon and PCI/AGP for the time being. Whether an NV40 makes it inside my box very much depends on whether someone develops a cooling solution that is inaudible (rumour has it that Zalman already has).

Plus, I remember NV30 ;) so waiting for NV45 might well be a good idea. We'll know in *tick* *tick* *tick* a few hours time.

$tupid = no money
$mart = lots of money

$tupid + $mart = $ubjective.

Unless the inverse is true for you: "lots of no money"

Is it easier now?

We'll know in *tick* *tick* *tick* a few hours time.
Seriously?
heh I didn't even realize today was the big day.

I guess my thread was premature and perhaps unnecessary.

What time? Midnight EST?

I know this is off topic (kind of) but I just wanted to get a new PSU, the main reason being I want a more silent one.

I just don't know which model to get, -I can choose from Thermaltake and Antec (I have hard access to other brands in my city)- I would go for Thermaltake 'cos a little bit cheaper.
So, what I don't know is if a 480W Silent Purepower will do the job, it has only 18A on the 12 V rail, or should I get a 560W one, which provides 22A for 12V.
I could get the first for half the second's price.
Also I don't know if my current system (2100+ Pally/KT3-Ultra2/PC2700/9600XT) will provide enough performance 'til I buy a more mature Athlon or eventually a BTX/939/PCIE comp.
Of course I am intrested if I could benefit from a monster like NV40 or R420 with my actual rig ( AGP 4x), or should I make an intermediate upgrade to some Nforce2 build.

I was playing with the idea of getting a socket 478 based sys, or a Athlon 64 one, but I don't want to give that amount of money for performance which I could get out of a system using an OC-ed Thoroughbred or Barton.

So, you know by now that I am a very cost conscious fellow, and my present dilemma is to get that 480W PSU for 60 euros or must I buy a 120 euro priced 560W one ?

With a AthlonXP @ 2.4ghz and a 9700pro, I'm also torn between buying now and waiting for PCX.

The Farcry demo is not smooth when maxed out, and I also suspect the videocard is the bottleneck.

For now I will simply change my gaming habits :) and stick to games I know run smoothly, like Painkiller, and to older adventure games like Real Myst or the longest journey. Real Myst at 1280x1024x32 is stunningly beautiful and plays like an FPS.

rms

Tommy said:
Because going PCI-E on the Intel side of things means getting a Prescott-cored P4, which is out of question for me.

Because going PCI-E on the AMD side of things is a Q3/04 exercise at the earliest and I don't want to hold out until then with my almost 2-years-old GF4 Ti4600.

Therefore, I'm currently hoping for a dual-DVI, single-Molex R420 AGP card as my next upgrade.

i'm pretty sure AMD will move to PCI Express & BTX ASAP.
i wouldnt buy a ATX, PCI/AGP System anymore, but thats just me...

Back