Did Digitlife jump the gun announcing NV40?

So a "vertex module" is supposed to be a vertex shader? Hmm, maybe that's why I missed it when I read that document.

So it'd do 2.4 billion vertices/s peak then at 400MHz? <keanu reeves>Whoah. :oops:</keanu reeves>

My GF3 suddenly feels veeery puny...

surfhurleydude said:
Perhaps they thought the NDA was up at 5:00 PM, but rather 5:00 AM... I don't know how they confuse it since they're on the 24 hour clock... Anyways, it is less than 7 hours until 5 AM where they are, perhaps we'll see some shit then.
Actually it's 3:pm tomorrow france's time :)

Mintmaster said:
I think they just mean 8 total fp32 ops per clock per pipe, i.e. two vector4 ops per pipe per clock. R300 can do a texture access and a vector4 op per clock, so that's also 8 ops per clock using similar terminology.

8 * 16 = 128, NVidia's magic number.

NV40, however, can do another arithmetic vector4 op instead of a texture op if it wants to, which will pay dividends down the line, and they can also split vector4 ops into vector3 + scalar (like R300) or vector2 + vector2.

In other words, FAR more throughput per pipe than NV30, and as games use more arithmetic in their shaders, significantly more than R300 per pipe as well.

Of course, all this hinges on me correctly interpreting those diagrams.

Is that how 32x0 might be done then? 2 shaders per pipe?

Evildeus said:
surfhurleydude said:
Perhaps they thought the NDA was up at 5:00 PM, but rather 5:00 AM... I don't know how they confuse it since they're on the 24 hour clock... Anyways, it is less than 7 hours until 5 AM where they are, perhaps we'll see some shit then.

What's France gotta do with anything? Digit-Life is in Russia I believe.

surfhurleydude said:
Evildeus said:
surfhurleydude said:

well, did you have in mind that the NDA is up to 3:00 pm tomorrow in France which makes 5:pm tomorrow in Russia? :rolleyes:

surfhurleydude said:
Evildeus said:
surfhurleydude said:

Well, it means that digit-life.com didn't just jump the gun by an hour or two, but by a whole day.

incurable said:
Well, it means that digit-life.com didn't just jump the gun by an hour or two, but by a whole day.

not particularly surprising though. has there been a release that digitlife hasn't put up something early and then taken down the article an hour or 2 later? :LOL:

elroy said:
nVidia PR said:
Extended display and video output features, including int. videoprocessor, hardware MPEG decoder, WMV9 accelerator, adaptive deinterlacing, video signal scaling and filtering, int. NTSC/PAL decoder (up to 1024x768), Macrovision copy protection; DVD/HDTV to MPEG2 decoding at up to 1920x1080i; dual int. 400MHz RAMDAC for up to 2048x1536 @ 85Hz; 2 x DVO for external TMDS transmitters and TV decoders; Microsoft Video Mixing Renderer (VMR); VIP 1.1 (video input); NVIDIA nView
*claps*

Well done nVidia. Give me a quiet and less power hungry beast (? NV41) and it'll go into my HTPC.
*cough* ATI has had this for ages *cough* Really the only new thing in there is the Dual-DVI...which up till now was just hard to find.

And in a year when we all drool over NV50.... I don't even know what that will have. I think the NV40 would be a good upgrade from my gf4ti4600. It was $400 so why not give nvidia another set.

PatrickL said:
Well can we really say they broke the nda ? They just posted the PR stuff not a real review no ?

yes they did but it's no surprise they break NDA's all the time

While maybe power-hungry in its first incarnation, the NV40 does sound very promising on paper. I can't wait for the reviews to see if this all holds up in the real world. But it looks like nVidia might be right back in the game.

Those penalty free branches sound interesting. If it really means that you don't loose (much) performance by using branches, I can actually see some titles doing special PS3.0 shaders to optimize performance.

I might be wrong with this example, so please correct me if so. Let's say you want to make a bathroom wall, with those shiny reflective stones, that have cement in between them. In PS2.0 you need a texture (cube map) that contains the reflection, and a texture that specifies which pixels are reflective (the stones) and which are not (the cement). With PS3.0 you could skip some texture fetches with branches depending on that last texture I described. That might be quite a performance booster.

Back