benchmarking Far Cry

tEd said:
Ante P said:
tEd said:
Ante P said:
tEd said:
it should be /demo timedemoname i got that wrong in my previous post sorry , anyway you also need to be in devmode to do it

I meant /demo :)
and I am in devmode :)

ok and make sure you read rachets post about you need to load up the level first which you wanna bench...and then it should work

loaded up the level too yeah

still no go

i'm running out of ideas

Did you try some of the prerecorded demos from the first post over there http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbull...aba9ac04377810b13ea3e6968ce91&threadid=134651

yup that too :)

digitalwanderer said:
You didn't happen to replace the original devmode.lua with the god-enabled cheater devmode.lua, did you? :|

I may come from a commie bastard country but I'm no cheater ;)

I think -DEVMODE is case sensitive.
to record a demo
start from a save or checkpoint
use save_game "x" or save_lastcheckpoint
record "filename"
stoprecording
load_game"x"
or
load_lastcheckpoint
I need to be in the same position at the beginning of demo playback aswhen you started recording to get an identical demo

Ante P

\demo demoname

not

/demo demoname

all commands in the console of FarCry use the \ symbol in front of the command

the demo record feature has a few problems though, it doesn't record your actions like shooting bad guys, it just runs through the demo and everyone just ignores you in the playback, and it loops, you have to do \stopdemo to stop the demo playaback, and it runs in a fast timedemo mode, not regular game speed

so i've been doing a manual run because of these problems, unless there are some commands i'm not aware of to make it record actions, and playback at normal game speed

I noticed that there's a demo_num_runs command there which is set to 1000 by default. I haven't checked, but maybe if you set that to 0 then it wouldn't loop at all?
Code:
variable: demo_num_runs 
type: int
current: 1000
help: Number of times to loop timedemo

What would really make the game useful and way easier for benchmarking is a way to execute the demos via the command line. Anyone have any info on that?

there is a benchmark function built in

i found this in common.lua

-- Benchmark functions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function StartBenchmark1( name )
System:Log( "************ StartBenchmark1 ************ " );
--profile = 0;
setglobal("profile",0);
--demo_num_runs=10;
setglobal("demo_num_runs",10);
Game:StartDemoPlay( name )
end

function StartBenchmark2( name )
System:Log( "************ StartBenchmark1 ************ " );
--profile = -1;
setglobal("profile",-1);
--demo_num_runs=10;
setglobal("demo_num_runs",10);
Game:StartDemoPlay( name )

I have yet to figure out how to enable it

digitalwanderer said:
You didn't happen to replace the original devmode.lua with the god-enabled cheater devmode.lua, did you? :|

Digi

You got a link on how to enable God mode for the retail version please?

Once I've finished it on challenging I want to go God mode on Realistic ;)

Ta

T

ok I figured out some command line stuff to launch the benchmark automatically
Code:
"E:\Far Cry\Bin32\FarCry.exe" -DEVMODE "demo_num_runs 0" "map bunker" "demo bunker04"
will launch and benchmark the bunker04 demo (which I got off the 3dcenter.org forum) and play it only once. The results will then be stored in the E:\Far Cry\Levels\Bunker\bunker04.log file.

PVR_Extremist said:
digitalwanderer said:

Digi

You got a link on how to enable God mode for the retail version please?

Once I've finished it on challenging I want to go God mode on Realistic ;)

Ta

T

Put the following lines at the bottom of your devmode.lua -- use backspace key to toggle God mode.

function ToggleGod()
if (not god) then
god=1;
else
god=1-god;
end
if (god==1) then
System:LogToConsole("God-Mode ON");
else
System:LogToConsole("God-Mode OFF");
end
end
Input:BindCommandToKey("#ToggleGod()","backspace",1);

First off, if Far Cry has a stable benchmarking mode would you like to see it used in potential upcoming performance tests? If so (I'm being lazy, and have a fair bit to do) anyone wanna sum up how it can be benchmarked foe me? :D

DaveBaumann said:
First off, if Far Cry has a stable benchmarking mode would you like to see it used in potential upcoming performance tests? If so (I'm being lazy, and have a fair bit to do) anyone wanna sum up how it can be benchmarked foe me? :D
Yes, and I'm working on it.

The Baron said:
DaveBaumann said:
Yes, and I'm working on it.

Will it be ready before the "NDA" (erhm well) expires? ;)

When I record a demo, and then play it back, there is no gunfire. Is this normal, or maybe just an effect of running in -devmode? I recorded a demo to try on both of my machines, shooting a light and having it sway back and forth, showing the nice shadow effect. But when I played it back, the gun didnt fire, and the light didnt move. Everything else was normal.

Back