Shader Model 3.0 / 2.0 ?

Well, that presentation on SM 3.0 at Microsoft's website was updated as of April 5th, so it's probably correct, even though it differs from the spec currently available from the MSDN. One thing to keep in mind is that the SM 2.0 specs quoted are the minimum, whereas the SM 3.0 specs quoted are probably nVidia's implementation of PS/VS 3.0 (that was an nVidia representative that wrote that document).

It is possible that the instruction counts quoted are misleading, as those could be the maximum number of executed instructions with branching. Or the NV40 could actually support programs longer than 32k instructions.

That's why i wanted to know if they are talking of the same things, or if MS$ has updated its minimum specs :?

Evildeus said:
That's why i wanted to know if they are talking of the same things, or if MS$ has updated its minimum specs :?

the article you found on the MS site is written by Nvidia, not MS.

Well I haven't downloaded newest DX SDK (bad me ;)), but I don't think that specs for 3.0 shader model have changed (and thus remain in range from 512 instructions up to 32K instructions). Of course we don't know if there is talk about instructions executed or instruction slots. However even minimal VS/PS 3.0 implementation would be capable of 64K+ executed instructions since branching is required both in pixel and vertex shaders.

An article detailing the MSDX specs of both models (and hence the differences) would be mildly useful at this site.

;)

And no, I won't do it... too fucking lazy. Not too interested (in anything 3D or this site) at the moment in any case.

PS. Oops, I used the f word.

Reverend said:
PS. Oops, I used the f word.
Rest assured the FCC has been duly notified. You're just lucky it wasn't a nipple ring you let pop out. :p

Well keep in mind that I believe that's with loops/branches. The OpenGL spec says 16K instructions

John Reynolds said:
GraphixViolence said:
That assumes someone's got real games to test that actually use SM3.0 features. In other words, nothing that's currently available.
Far Cry 1.1 supports PS 3.0.

Might be supporting it... but does it really use it's features?

Seems to me, Farcry is developed purely for PS2. You can compile it supporting PS3, but does that gain anything?

Ylandro said:

Seems to me, Farcry is developed purely for PS2. You can compile it supporting PS3, but does that gain anything?

I've been wondering about that myself. The NV40 previews should tell us.

Ylandro said:
John Reynolds said:
GraphixViolence said:
That assumes someone's got real games to test that actually use SM3.0 features. In other words, nothing that's currently available.
Far Cry 1.1 supports PS 3.0.

yeah,I agree with you,farcry can support PS3,but it would't use PS3 features

Back