New demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
It's been a while since the last demo, but I'm not dead yet. :)

fire2.jpg

Get it here as usual:
http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Feedback welcome as usual. Suggestions for new demos are also welcome since I've been very dry on ideas lately.

Works great on a 9700pro with Cat 4.3 :)

Allthough there seems to be a problem if I navigate "under" the "earth", as I can still see the fire even if I'm (more or less) directly below it.

But aside from that, quite nice.

Cool, fire :)

Now where'd I put my marshmellows :?:

[edit]could you stack the wood a bit more realistically?[/edit]

MrGaribaldi said:
Allthough there seems to be a problem if I navigate "under" the "earth", as I can still see the fire even if I'm (more or less) directly below it.
That's what I would typically expect. Back-facing polygons won't modify the depth buffer (usually they're totally thrown out of the pipeline for efficiency). You should notice that in any game that doesn't have the greatest collision detection (Everquest comes to mind, if you're in wolf form), or has a no-clipping mode, that this behavior is pretty normal.

Got a question for ya Humus

Since NV4x will support PS3.0 (and assuming you could get your hands on one) will you continue to write demos that are on the level of R3xx, or would you experiment with some demos, even if only those running nv4x could run them?

Lezmaka said:

Since NV4x will support PS3.0 (and assuming you could get your hands on one) will you continue to write demos that are on the level of R3xx, or would you experiment with some demos, even if only those running nv4x could run them?

Trying an answer:

Yeah, he'll write PS3.0 apps but we'll only see them next year.

Edit: Don't know about VS3.0, though...

Coold demo

Feedback welcome as usual. Suggestions for new demos are also welcome since I've been very dry on ideas lately.

How about some form of animated crystal figure? Lots of refractions and reflections which would be cool imho.

arrrse said:
could you stack the wood a bit more realistically?

Entirely impossible! ;)
Seriously, I'm not sure I understand what's so unrealistic with the way it's stacked, or what is more realistic in your opinion.

Mendel said:
looks nice. Really needs a heat haze effect though :D

Maybe the day we get the GL_EXT_render_target extension. Don't like the current pBuffer solution.

Lezmaka said:

Well, I don't know how the R420 and NV40 will compare on the feature side, but I'm going to be focusing on the R420 anyway. I'm not going to write any NV40 only demos. It wouldn't work very well with my employment at ATI (which I'm still waiting for the work permit for ... damn bureaucracy).

Humus said:
Lezmaka said:

Well, I don't know how the R420 and NV40 will compare on the feature side, but I'm going to be focusing on the R420 anyway. I'm not going to write any NV40 only demos. It wouldn't work very well with my employment at ATI (which I'm still waiting for the work permit for ... damn bureaucracy).

Sorry for OT: Hi humus, I'm from Piteå so we are practically neighbours ;)

Heathen said:
How about some form of animated crystal figure? Lots of refractions and reflections which would be cool imho.

Actually, I've been thinking about doing a crystal demo. Though I'd need 4D textures for my particular technique.

Chalnoth said:
That's what I would typically expect. Back-facing polygons won't modify the depth buffer (usually they're totally thrown out of the pipeline for efficiency). You should notice that in any game that doesn't have the greatest collision detection (Everquest comes to mind, if you're in wolf form), or has a no-clipping mode, that this behavior is pretty normal.

Ok,I found it a bit odd, but after your explanation I understand a bit more. Thank you for the explanation :)

Back