Arrrggghh!!! What is the correct chemical name for water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g__day

Regular
This is bugging my wife and I now - any takers with a chemistry background?

The contestants include:

Di-hydrogen Monooxide
Di-hydrous Oxide
Di-hydrogen Oxide
Di-hydrogen Oxygen
Oxidized Hydrogen
Oxidized Hydronium
Oxidized Di-hydronium
Hydrogen Oxide
Hydrogen Hydroxide
Hydrohydroxic acid
Di-hydronium Hydroxide
Di-hydronium Monooxide
Di-hydronium Oxygen

Amazing that in an age of Google we can't seem to get and answer, even from a popular US website (able2know) with a chemistry section we don't have agreement!

Does anyone here absolutely know the correct chemical name for simple old H2O?

It's not "Dihydrogen monooxide," just as you wouldn't call H2S "Dihydrogen monosulfide" but rather "Hydrogen sulfide." (Its' real name) Whenever hydrogen forms a covalent bond with a nonmetal the nomenclature excludes numerical prefixes; therefore, it's actually "Hydrogen oxide."

akira888 said:
It's not "Dihydrogen monooxide," just as you wouldn't call H2S "Dihydrogen monosulfide" but rather "Hydrogen sulfide." (Its' real name) Whenever hydrogen forms a covalent bond with a nonmetal the nomenclature excludes numerical prefixes; therefore, it's actually "Hydrogen oxide."

Akira they are right and you are wrong, but it is no big deal :).

That is because acording to you than hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) would be name hydrogien oxide. The naming conventions and what things are actually called are different of course b/c water is water :). But if it only has one oxidation state like h2s then they shorten it to hydrogensulfide.

The answer is water I'm pretty sure. Though while we are adding names of what it could be Hydronol and Dihydrogen ether.

DiHydrogen MonOxide. I think you need to have a loss of electron(??) or hydrogen for it to be called hydrous.

Damn this brings the horrors of chemistry days to me.

I'm not sure yet, but I think it's gonna drive me wife a bit nuts now that I showed it to her. :) (She's a pharmacist and it's bugging her now. :LOL: )

always thought of it as hydrogen oxide myself. :|

Still if one thing is for certain its that sulphide and sulphur etc is spelt with a ph and not an f ok? :p

It's simply Hydrogen Oxide.

H2O

You need 2 hydrogen atoms for the one oxygen to make it stable.

Think of Hydrogen Chloride...HCL. Since Chlorine has 7 atoms it only needs 1 Hydrogon to form the cloride.

With Oxygen it needs 2...H20 Hydrogen Oxide.

Just like the Bromides, Chlorides, Sulphides...ides hehe...

Speng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back