What kind of specs & features will be in the PS4/N6/XB3

What kind of grapics will you expect to see form PS4/Xbox 2?

• Toy-Stoy-like graphics?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy:The Spirits Within-like graphics?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I guess it all depends on how good they are at implementing technologies that ATI and NVIDIA got so good at it in the last few years. Those 2 companies really are something, when it comes to rendering, that's why they just happen to appear on each next gen console, cause they're the top guys.

It will be hard for someone else to beat them at their own game. Obviously, someone can just create a new game, but that's even tougher than beating the top guys at an existing (for the last 2 decades or so) game.

london-boy said:
I guess it all depends on how good they are at implementing technologies that ATI and NVIDIA got so good at it in the last few years. Those 2 companies really are something, when it comes to rendering, that's why they just happen to appear on each next gen console, cause they're the top guys.

It will be hard for someone else to beat them at their own game. Obviously, someone can just create a new game, but that's even tougher than beating the top guys at an existing (for the last 2 decades or so) game.

Fair enough. I hope to see renderman-like graphics using Ray-Tracing in games on the PS4 8)

Well, I don't know about the PS4/XB3, but given the good probability that in 10 years we could have consoles with 100's of gigabytes of ultra-fast ram, and an also decent possibility that we might have the first generation of photonic-chips...I would imagine that the graphics displayed by the 5th generation will be pretty much photo-realistic, with possible minor set-backs concerning character realism (mostly a software problem).

With the XBox-2 coming out in 2005 and the PS3 coming out in 2006 I am guessing that the Next Console Wars After Next should start up in the year 2011 or 12. I figure, that Micro$oft will try to milk as much money out of the XBox-2 as possible. 8)

kenneth9265_3 said:
With the XBox-2 coming out in 2005 and the PS3 coming out in 2006 I am guessing that the Next Console Wars After Next should start up in the year 2011 or 12. I figure, that Micro$oft will try to milk as much money out of the XBox-2 as possible. 8)

D'uh? They already lost +$3 billion on their first Xbox adventure... It would be quite logical if they were trying to make a profit for a change.

kenneth9265_3 said:

They can only milk it if the public wants them to milk it. Meaning, if the public just isn't interested, there's no milking that can save them, just look at what happened this time around...

Xbox3 might reach Shrek1 in realtime, at best. probably no raytracing or GI. assuming Xbox3 comes out around 2010-2011

then the PS4 might at best be possibly capable of doing reduced or greatly reduced reproductions of current film-CGI like LotR for graphics in-game. notice I said REDUCED. maybe if we're lucky we'll see some modest GI/raytracing techniques/hacks. assuming PS4 comes out around 2011-2012.

I think we are at least 10-12 years away from doing the type of things that we really want. like true current-film quality CGI with fullblown raytracing/GI. that will be for Xbox4 and PS5. maybe.

Megadrive1988 said:
Xbox3 might reach Shrek1 in realtime, at best. probably no raytracing or GI. assuming Xbox3 comes out around 2010-2011

then the PS4 might at best be possibly capable of doing reduced or greatly reduced reproductions of current film-CGI like LotR for graphics in-game. notice I said REDUCED. maybe if we're lucky we'll see some modest GI/raytracing techniques/hacks. assuming PS4 comes out around 2011-2012.

I think we are at least 10-12 years away from doing the type of things that we really want. like true current-film quality CGI with fullblown raytracing/GI. that will be for Xbox4 and PS5. maybe.

Hi Megadrive :)

Considering we know nothing about the architecture of Xbox3/PS4, who MS and Sony will align with, what the design focus of each machine will be, how well Sony/MS/(Nintendo) will do over the next 4-7 years, and who will release their console first in the 4th 3D console gen, I think it is a tad out of place to say the Xbox3 will have "no raytracing or GI" but the PS4 will "maybe if we're lucky we'll see some modest GI/raytracing techniques/hacks". You are already assuming the PS4 will come out second and be faster. While I assume, less major mistakes on Sony's behalf, Sony will stead be #1 in the console market in 5 years, I think MS has a chance to gain marketshare. If that happens we may be looking at same year releases. Maybe the face of the PC market will change so much that MS sees it as necessary to have the most powerful console. Who knows... so making guess on what machine will, and wont, be able to perform certain tasks is a little early ;)

There is speculation, and then there is unfounded guessing. I think we are overstepping the lines some ;) I think with PS4/Xbox3, any specifics are out of place for the time being. Now, projecting--based upon transistor count, RAM increases, and manufacturing processes--what *may* or *may not* be possible, in very vague terms, may be called speculation. But who knows, in the 2011-2015 timeframe we may be looking at some new medium for chips, or new memory types that allow hundreds of GBs of memory, not judt hundreds. Or it may be more of the same.

Personally, I would expect Sony to make some slight statement concerning where they want the PS4 to go. And 12-24 months after the PS4 release I think we should have a glimmer of the direction technology is headed. At that time we can begin speculating like crazy, just like we have been over Xbox2/PS3--which ironically, 10-18 months away from both releases, we have very little confirmed information. We just know WHO is making what, and general parameters based on old leaked (or supposedly leaked) specs and current technologies.

I like your posts, I just think this one is a little ahead of itself :)

Acert93 said:
Megadrive1988 said:

Hi Megadrive :)

Considering we know nothing about the architecture of Xbox3/PS4, who MS and Sony will align with, what the design focus of each machine will be, how well Sony/MS/(Nintendo) will do over the next 4-7 years, and who will release their console first in the 4th 3D console gen, I think it is a tad out of place to say the Xbox3 will have "no raytracing or GI" but the PS4 will "maybe if we're lucky we'll see some modest GI/raytracing techniques/hacks". You are already assuming the PS4 will come out second and be faster. While I assume, less major mistakes on Sony's behalf, Sony will stead be #1 in the console market in 5 years, I think MS has a chance to gain marketshare. If that happens we may be looking at same year releases. Maybe the face of the PC market will change so much that MS sees it as necessary to have the most powerful console. Who knows... so making guess on what machine will, and wont, be able to perform certain tasks is a little early ;)

There is speculation, and then there is unfounded guessing. I think we are overstepping the lines some ;) I think with PS4/Xbox3, any specifics are out of place for the time being. Now, projecting--based upon transistor count, RAM increases, and manufacturing processes--what *may* or *may not* be possible, in very vague terms, may be called speculation. But who knows, in the 2011-2015 timeframe we may be looking at some new medium for chips, or new memory types that allow hundreds of GBs of memory, not judt hundreds. Or it may be more of the same.

Personally, I would expect Sony to make some slight statement concerning where they want the PS4 to go. And 12-24 months after the PS4 release I think we should have a glimmer of the direction technology is headed. At that time we can begin speculating like crazy, just like we have been over Xbox2/PS3--which ironically, 10-18 months away from both releases, we have very little confirmed information. We just know WHO is making what, and general parameters based on old leaked (or supposedly leaked) specs and current technologies.

I like your posts, I just think this one is a little ahead of itself :)

hiya Acert93.

well, isnt that what is thread is all about? I was not giving any specifics since that would naturally be impossible at this time. only a general outlook of what I'd like or even possible expect to see, overall. in the broadest sense. 8)

Considering the prince of making a next gen game is difficult think that they will do a next gen ( with more than a few games ).

But , once that we have hope, I would say the one who have the best "next gen XNA like" or something with the same porpose.

Speaking of XNA, it really going to change the way Programmers and Gamers think, develop and play or is it just another PR stunt for MS to make people believe in them? :?

kenneth9265_3 said:
Speaking of XNA, it really going to change the way Programmers and Gamers think, develop and play or is it just another PR stunt for MS to make people believe in them? :?

Both.

In the end it will all depend on how many developers opt for XNA and how well it works really.

My biggest concern is the rise in development costs. The higher the cost, the higher the risk, and the lower the new IP...

I hope XNA, and other projects like it, are successful.

One thing I have noticed is new "next gen" titles have nicer visuals and may take advantage of some of the tweaks and new features of consoles (analog sticks, CDs for music and FMV, shoulder buttons, and so forth), yet they almost always take a step backwards in gameplay. While this may be anathema to say this, but at some point graphics will become a more and more mute point.

The next gen (3rd), let alone the one after that (4th), will all run in high resolutions and frame rates with millions of polys, pretty pixel shader affects, and high quality textures compared to what is used to on consoles. As we saw with the current gen, the lowest common denominator often influences the other platforms. Hopefully this encourages developers to spend more time focusing on content and game play... ::sigh:: but graphics are often an easy sell. So until we have systems that can recreate life like people and world elements realistically (i.e. just like a photograph) a lot of emphasis will remain on graphics. I hope that day gets here soon so we can get AI and Physics accelerators in HW :D

Acert93 said:
I hope XNA, and other projects like it, are successful.

One thing I have noticed is new "next gen" titles have nicer visuals and may take advantage of some of the tweaks and new features of consoles (analog sticks, CDs for music and FMV, shoulder buttons, and so forth), yet they almost always take a step backwards in gameplay. While this may be anathema to say this, but at some point graphics will become a more and more mute point.

The next gen (3rd), let alone the one after that (4th), will all run in high resolutions and frame rates with millions of polys, pretty pixel shader affects, and high quality textures compared to what is used to on consoles. As we saw with the current gen, the lowest common denominator often influences the other platforms. Hopefully this encourages developers to spend more time focusing on content and game play... ::sigh:: but graphics are often an easy sell. So until we have systems that can recreate life like people and world elements realistically (i.e. just like a photograph) a lot of emphasis will remain on graphics. I hope that day gets here soon so we can get AI and Physics accelerators in HW :D

About the lowest common denominator I dont think so , look at EA, but in in exclusives dev take more risks ( inovation ).
BTW DeanoC has been said that AI and Physics accelerators are nears but it would be called GPU and Xenon had made a lot of work in that way.
Look for example:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14993&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

Now that we have been introduced to all three Next Gen Systems (PS2.NGC/Xbox) and thier spec. When do you thing Sony will start the Hype machine for the PS4 and wh do you think the Generation After Next (PS4/Nintendo/XBox 1080?) will rollout?

Or other word How long will this Next Gen System will last??? 10 Years (2015)? ;)

I believe we will see the next-next generation consoles by 2012 (PS4, GC3) and probably sooner for Xbox-3 / Xbox720 / Xbox1080. lets call it Xbox2010 to avoid confusion, because I think that's when we'll see it, in 2010. five years after Xbox360, that gives Xbox360 1 more year of life than Xbox1.

I dont think we'll see any sort of hype machine for a few years yet, but you can bet that these new systems are already in development at Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. at least in terms of patents being gathered (including those that wernt used in the coming generation) and early R&D, even though actual chip-development probably wont begin for a year or two from now.

Back