Explorer crashes when I open specific music folders...

zsouthboy

Regular
Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Argh!

Restarting does nothing. Three specific folders on my hard drive cause explorer to crash when I open them. The contents of all of them are just mp3's and some jpg's of the covers... see for yourself:

crash.gif

WTF?

A search of Microsoft's KB brings up nothing. I've clicked submit everytime it's happened.

Deleting the jpg's from the folders fixes the problem....

EDIT: simply renaming the jpegs works too. It's a problem in the thumbnailing feature of windows... :\

Yes, if it's set to thumbnail view it crashes quite frequently when I'm browsing directories full of movie clips. Maybe this is why the EU sued Microsoft for integrating WMP so tightly with the OS... :)

Dave Glue said:
Try erasing the thumbnail cache - sounds like it's corrupted.

In fact, i'm thinking about writing a program that finds every single "thumbs.db" on your hard drive and deletes them.... hmm.

Update:

Manually deleting all the Thumbs.db's from my hard drive did nothing to help. Turning off caching of image thumbnails in folder options did nothing. It seems that I need a way to actually turn off image previewing.... anyone?

Open a folder without any media files in it and set the display view to something other than thumbnails, then under Tools->Folder Options, select the View tab and click "Apply to All Folders".

Anonymous said:
Open a folder without any media files in it and set the display view to something other than thumbnails, then under Tools->Folder Options, select the View tab and click "Apply to All Folders".

yes, that would work, however i have thumbnails enabled when i'm viewing folders in any view.

Even in detail view.

Thumbnail and Detail view are mutually exclusive, so you must be referring to something else. If the preview in the left hand margin is causing problems, select "Use Windows classic folders" in the folder options. If that's not the problem, you'll have to explain better.

BTW, the easy solution is to figure out what file is causing Explorer to crash and delete it :)

Crusher said:
Thumbnail and Detail view are mutually exclusive, so you must be referring to something else. If the preview in the left hand margin is causing problems, select "Use Windows classic folders" in the folder options. If that's not the problem, you'll have to explain better.

BTW, the easy solution is to figure out what file is causing Explorer to crash and delete it :)

If you'll read a few of the above posts, I did. It was the .jpgs... i simply renamed or deleted them in a command prompt and the problem went away.

My images become thumbnails in ANY view, that's what I mean. In Thumbnail, Tile, Icon, List, and Detail view... the icons for any jpeg are the actual jpeg. (no, i don't have any wierd jpg thumbnailing program installed)

Back