Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Layers of Fear demo is out already, it's UE5(.0?1?)
Apparently like ue4.999999 😂 according to Alex

(Ie they are using the UE5 dev environment and lumen but because they basically threw all their ue4 work into ue5 late into development and only using lumen over their previous lighting system It's not representative of ue5 at all)

Tekken 8 is also using UE5 dev environment but (apparently) none of the features. But it looks really good imo. With the lighting I see in the trailers I would be surprised if they are not atleast using software lumen.

Yeah the Overdrive thing is hilarious, I love how over the top he is for Nvidia marketing. Functionally it's not really different from what UE5 is doing with "Lumen", in fact they're both limited to 2 bounces currently, and 99% of the time you can't tell them apart, but "Overdrive" runs ten times slower. Definitely needs a 20 minute video gushing over it.
Is Lumen indeed limited to 2 bounces? Iirc, they advertised infinite bounces, and that's what you usually get from a world space cache.

Regarding DF videos, interesting new methods as shown in CP are worth a 20 minutes video imo. It's always detailed information i would not notice elsewhere.
But it feels there is a bit more excited adoption of marketing claims than objectivity.
For example, there are always many cherry picked shots of scenes looking good, but lesser coverage about failure cases, artifacts, instability, temporal lag, etc.
Those latter things are just as important, and some random YT gameplay video always gives me better impressions about them.

Is Lumen indeed limited to 2 bounces? Iirc, they advertised infinite bounces, and that's what you usually get from a world space cache.

Lumen should be infinite bounces if it works as advertised. Each frame they choose a subset of surface cache entries to update and each of those updates samples indirect lighting from other cache regions.

I think DLSS2, FSR2, and XeSS comparison videos are mostly stale now. We know how things go regarding those 3... and its not as interesting anymore unless something drastic changes. Now DLSS3 and FSR3 frame gen will be interesting.. but we can't compare them yet.

I dont know why people are expecting Alex to review the game and gameplay itself... its always been about the tech with him. Too many other review sites out there which don't talk anything about performance and tech issues.. get your fix from them and let Alex focus on brining attention to issues to improve ports in the future... imo.

I think DLSS2, FSR2, and XeSS comparison videos are mostly stale now. We know how things go regarding those 3... and its not as interesting anymore unless something drastic changes. Now DLSS3 and FSR3 frame gen will be interesting.. but we can't compare them yet.

I dont know why people are expecting Alex to review the game and gameplay itself... its always been about the tech with him. Too many other review sites out there which don't talk anything about performance and tech issues.. get your fix from them and let Alex focus on brining attention to issues to improve ports in the future... imo.

Also, people should keep in mind that Digital Foundry and Eurogamer are part of Gamer Network LTD (formerly Eurogamer Network LTD). Digital Foundry does the technical "review" while Eurogamer does the gameplay "review", news and impressions.

Regards,
SB

Regarding DF videos, interesting new methods as shown in CP are worth a 20 minutes video imo. It's always detailed information i would not notice elsewhere.
But it feels there is a bit more excited adoption of marketing claims than objectivity.
For example, there are always many cherry picked shots of scenes looking good, but lesser coverage about failure cases, artifacts, instability, temporal lag, etc.
Those latter things are just as important, and some random YT gameplay video always gives me better impressions about them.

I think that can be a fair critique at points, yeah. I see those things occuring in the video and to my tastes, they can be glossed over a bit.

On that note, very interested to see if/when 2077 implements Nvidia's new denoiser. Noise in shadows/reflections is one aspect of RT that bugs me when I see it, would love to see this improved, even at a performance cost.

Last edited:
On that note, very interested to see if/when 2077 implements Nvidia's new denoiser. Noise in shadows/reflections is one aspect of RT that bugs me when I see it, would love to see this improved, even at a performance cost.
Hmm, skimming that i see a much larger reason to criticize journalism, while we're at it.
Calling both Restir and NRC 'denoisers' may be a valid simplification in some sense, but to me it feels just wrong. Or at least badly informed.
Both those techniques try to solve very specific problems. And only because they work, noise is reduced as well.
Contrary, denoising techniques try to smooth out noise only by looking at the final image, but do not address lighting problems such as finding the most contributing lights, or approximating radiance from any point in the scene.

Btw, personally i wonder why NV still has no ML denoiser for games, afaict.
But i see the problem is harder than one would think, so maybe they need to achieve such general improvements on RT first. That's really unexpected.

Hmm, skimming that i see a much larger reason to criticize journalism, while we're at it.
Calling both Restir and NRC 'denoisers' may be a valid simplification in some sense, but to me it feels just wrong. Or at least badly informed.
Both those techniques try to solve very specific problems. And only because they work, noise is reduced as well.
Contrary, denoising techniques try to smooth out noise only by looking at the final image, but do not address lighting problems such as finding the most contributing lights, or approximating radiance from any point in the scene.

Btw, personally i wonder why NV still has no ML denoiser for games, afaict.
But i see the problem is harder than one would think, so maybe they need to achieve such general improvements on RT first. That's really unexpected.

It’s not a valid simplification though. Calling Restir and NRC denoisers is just wrong.

Blight: Survival is a UE5 title I'd not seen in the thread, so sorry if I missed it. This trailer's from back in November, when they had two people on their Iceland based team. They've expanded to 12 now.

The proof of the pudding is the game releasing, but nice looking graphics and gameplay from a small team (which is surely the reason to exciting by UE5. AAA, er, smipple-A. Indie and AA is where the fun is)

NSFW (don't get too exited, it's just gore!)

The locomotion system looks rather cool

Last edited:
Make sure to play for 6+ hours to get all the pso's cached! :)

Speaking of this...discovered this by way of a reddit thread, maybe these options for Fortnite have existed since months ago and I never noticed? These are set from the Epic launcher, I never checked the options outside of the game so who knows when they were added.

1685076757320.png
Regardless, was curious to see the impact, so I checked off the DX12 Shaders and Disable Cosmetic Streaming (which I just assume downloads all outfits/tags at the start instead of download ad-hoc depending on who's joining), and gave another go on freshly installed drivers.

It's a large improvement over my initial experience when the UE5 engine upgrade dropped late last year. It's not perfect, there is still that stutter when all the players warp in at the start, and there were a few brief traversal (?) stutters on vehicles and still (seemingly) the occasional pso hitch...but man, nothing like the first time. Picking up items, switching weapons, building objects, moving into the storm - no shader stutter, whereas before every damn action was stuttering until cached. Also DLSS has been added.

Only played for ~20 minutes so an hardly exhaustive study mind you. On my 3060, put everything on high (nanite geometry but no hardware RT) at 4k, DLSS performance. SomeGPU drops below but otherwise a solid 60.

I don't think it's utilizing the latest shader optimizations wrt to the async improvements in UE 5.3(?), but as far as I can see in my brief testing, at least the flagship title for UE on the PC may no longer be the flagship of stuttering.

Hardware Lumen is so impressive that it goes toes to toes against Path Tracing in UE5.2, rendering with max possible samples it rendered 800 frames in 12 minutes vs 8 hours for Path Tracing for the same scene.

Last edited:

Afaict this is UE4, so sorry for posting here.
But, um, this game looks better than anything? I think the emissive materials look mind blowing.
So can anybody tell me why this looks so great? Maybe that's this new 'convolution bloom'?

EDIT: After playing myself, bloom and other things look just standard (still good).
I assume they did some grading to the video, increasing contrast so emissive materials pop out more.
And that's probably what i like about it so much.
The game has only a brightness setting to tune, and i'm not the guy willing to mess with driver settings or post process injection tools.
Reminds me, i always wanted more color control in game settings: Tweaking gamma curve with light / mid / dark points and saturation would be nice to have for any game.

Last edited:

Afaict this is UE4, so sorry for posting here.
But, um, this game looks better than anything? I think the emissive materials look mind blowing.
So can anybody tell me why this looks so great? Maybe that's this new 'convolution bloom'?

Seeing lots of long stutters in that video.

Back