Xbox 360 and PS3 top graphics

Who talked about cutscenes? When was the last time you played some PS3 games and compared them graphically to TLOU? TLOU was not only about artstyle, it was about amount of details and great (for PS3) lighting, next-gen animations, all of the that in a 3rd person shooter.
Pretty recently? Tlou on PS3 was a good looking game like I said, but nowhere near the best on the system as many people have claimed in terms of actual fidelity imo. It was pretty on par for a lot of other games in second half of ps3s life.

I don't know what "next gen animations" are, or what about the amount off details in the game was more than other games. I'll give you some parts of the baked lighting in natural lighting conditions looked great for a PS3 game. But other times it looked completely off and wrong

I don't think so. But why do you ask. In my opinion using tesselation unit don't give some advantege without proper use of other units of console.
But if you mentioned that, can you name some games what used. Because I couldn't find any trusted info.

A few already mentioned some games, but Bungie also used the X360 tesselation unit for Halo Reach's water. It had some of the best real time rendered environmental water for that generation, IMO. The tesselated water also reacted to player movement (IIRC) and explosions.

Unfortunately, the Bungie webpage that talked about it and is linked in that video no longer exists.

Regards,
SB

From what I can find, GTA V cost 137 million to make. That is not out of the norm for a big title. Various games cost more or close to that and don’t come close to achieving what Rockstar did. It was also only 5 years after GTA 4. Watch dogs Legion had a close enough budget and similar development time frame and look at that.

Well you're partly right here.

GTAV is what it is because Rockstar puts a level of resources(money, manpower, time) into their GTA games that almost nobody else can justify doing. It's a guaranteed billion dollar revenue source, so yea, they can go above and beyond.

Skyrim is not a good example, though. Bethesda was only about 100 employees during Skyrim's development(and while Bethesda Game Studios is a fair bit bigger now, it's still not some Ubisoft-like entity at all). What makes their games special is more their technology and willingness to prioritize things that would be very scary for most any other developer. Plenty of other studios have the same kind of resources that Bethesda have, and the fact that none try and imitate them even with the great success of their games is testament to how special and ultimately underrated BGS really are as a developer(given how much people like to trash on them).
But that's also one of my points. Bethesda is fortunate to have the ability to focus on their engine in those days to make the kinds of games they make. It took many years and tons of internal dev focus on that aspect of development specifically. It's not something just any studio who wants to make a game can do. Hence my point about gamers wanting devs to make more games like GTA or Skyrim easier said than done

From what I can find, GTA V cost 137 million to make. That is not out of the norm for a big title. Various games cost more or close to that and don’t come close to achieving what Rockstar did. It was also only 5 years after GTA 4. Watch dogs Legion had a close enough budget and similar development time frame and look at that.
Watch dogs is from Ubisoft. That is not just any publisher but one who regularly employs over thousand devs on a single game at some points. And I'd like to see some sources for that rockstar cost. I'd assume it's atleast double with marketing cost attached

Watch dogs is from Ubisoft. That is not just any publisher but one who regularly employs over thousand devs on a single game at some points. And I'd like to see some sources for that rockstar cost. I'd assume it's atleast double with marketing cost attached
Exactly, Ubisoft titles have similar cost and manpower as Rockstar and don't come close to matching them. Marketing budget is irrelevant to game development. HFW was 118 million. Destiny -140 million. Cyberpunk - 174 million. Battlefield 4 - 100 million. Lots of companies are giving their titles similar budgets and achieving far less IMO.

Last edited:
Exactly, Ubisoft titles have similar cost and manpower as Rockstar and don't come close to matching them. Marketing budget is irrelevant to game development.
Because they are focused on making games in a factory line, not making a GTA type of game. That's what I'm saying. Not every dev has the resources to do the type of games rockstar does via GTA or RDR. Not every dev has the capability based on the games they are used to making make to make games as detailed as GTA.

Watch dogs is a decent comparison but it's definitely nowhere near GTA in terms of interactivity, things you can do or ambition. It's a hacking game based in an open city environment with cars and gunplay

Because they are focused on making games in a factory line, not making a GTA type of game. That's what I'm saying. Not every dev has the resources to do the type of games rockstar does via GTA or RDR. Not every dev has the capability based on the games they are used to making make to make games as detailed as GTA.

Watch dogs is a decent comparison but it's definitely nowhere near GTA in terms of interactivity, things you can do or ambition. It's a hacking game based in an open city environment with cars and gunplay
I would argue that Ubisoft was absolutely trying to make a GTA level game with the Watch Dogs series. The marketing for all their open world titles is focused on dynamism as the #1 concept. They have just achieved far less with equal resources.

I would argue that Ubisoft was absolutely trying to make a GTA level game with the Watch Dogs series. The marketing for all their open world titles is focused on dynamism as the #1 concept. They have just achieved far less with equal resources.
And that's also one of my points although I wouldent fully agree. Not everyone can just do what rockstar does. For a variety of reasons. Saying "why don't other devs make games on the level of GTA" is a silly statement. This shouldent be controversial

Budgets are notoriously hard to estimate. And they aren't always what they seem.

Some developers, like Rockstar, use post-release bonuses to motivate staff and perhaps to offset some of the up front costs. If the staff put in huge amounts of effort and the game is a success then the bonuses can be very significant.

And that's also one of my points although I wouldent fully agree. Not everyone can just do what rockstar does. For a variety of reasons. Saying "why don't other devs make games on the level of GTA" is a silly statement. This shouldent be controversial
I interpreted the responses as money and development time being the only or at least the main reasons as to why. That is the stance I disagree with.

A personal favorite (within my top 5) that nobody mentioned was Little Big Plannet 2 for PS3. Despite being a 2.5D, ot was also very technically abitious, by being entirely constructed on a very flexible real time user facing editor. Everything was physics based, all lighting real time, nothing baked...

Of note: it used a voxel-based light propagation system to simulate as many lights as the user could place, including area lights, with proper volumetric atmospherics (a precursor to the froxel system that now became an industry standard)

For fire and smoke, they also had a beautiful particle based fluid sim, with near hipnotic vortex dynamics, and very pleasantly lit smoke plumes.

They also could convert any arbitrary object into a cloud of smoke or goo particles on the fly.

All in all, despite being built in a fully user-customizable engine, I believe it looked better and was more technically sophisticated than any other linear 2.5D game that gen. The Puppeteer came kind of close, but I still think LBP looks better.

Last edited:
checked it earlier and indeed. It looks quite impressive
Yeah, it's a sleeper hit in terms of graphics. It uses the shell type of fur for the cats, but there's physics on the fur when you interact with them using Kinect. It's also one of the games that has a realistic look that has aged well. Most games that shoot for realism look aged in a few years.

why no one mentioned Motorstorm Pacific Rift? That was one of the most amazing racing games in terms of graphics and physics.

Thanks for link! That is amazing info. Motorstorm was very good example of what is next-gen game. Polygon count, texture resolution, lighting, shadows, physics was on next level. Secod gae was just increase in everything plus some new features and had up to 4 players split screen. I forgot what foliage reacted collision with car. That is trully amazing. Third game also was amazing, with track destructions and 3d support. Even today there no some similar game. And also amazing what all those games was on 7th gen console.
But I also have question. If 3 motorstorm games, would been made for Xbox 360, would've they been like on PS3 or some of graphics and physics features wasn't possible, at lieas at taht scale. I ask because as I know all three games used Cell a lot. Ok first not so much but second and third for sure.

Back