Spider-Man 2 [PS5]

You can't possibly tell from that angle view with respect to the normal of the water surface if it's ray-traced or SSR. That angle could show SSR being identical to RT. The only way to know for sure is if the camera was lowered to nearly perpendicular to the normal on that water and see if the reflections start to gradually fade out. If it was ray-traced, they certainly rendered that scene at one of the smallest resolutions I've ever seen in a game with RT reflections in order to take advantage of not being able to fire multiple rays (which would induce noise) to create a real blurred reflection.

Again someone from Insomniac confirm they use raytraced water. ;)

looking good here !

Fw7V7UEXsAIsEPb

Here is a part of the video with interaction:

Guess real time wouldnt look like that, huh? "Faking" water is easy. PS4 games like The Witcher 3 and Arhkam Knights have done it 8 years ago.

The water shader and water behaviour are probably killing whatever the RT reflections are supposed to improve

If it is raytraced, I wonder if the performance hit is worth the visuals "upgrade" vs a faster solution. Even if I'm not that interested in SM2, the game, so far, I'm interested in all the tech. Can't wait for the release and the DF vidéo ;)

That doesn't mean it isn't using ray tracing. For particles there is often a separate setting for reflections. See Control.
v1203O6.jpg

Maybe there is raytracing in these ingame cutscenes but in actual gameplay there isnt anything...

/edit: Here is the scene from the trailer:
Na, is old school animation of the fire and the "reflection" is fake.

Again someone from Insomniac confirm they use raytraced water. ;)
That's fine. It would normally look better than SSR by being sharper and then applying a post process to it (like all games using RT reflections). And I can see them having to render the scene at a much lower resolution than normal for such a large area to sample from.

I just want the PC version hopefully by Fall of next year. Then maybe the RT that's being used will look more transformative in the outdoor areas of the game. Hopefully, Alex or John will do a full analysis of the SM2 gameplay trailer.

From Eurogamer interview of the Spiderman 2 game director it is possible to switch between Peter Parker and Miles Morales at any moment.

You'll be able to - in the open world - freely switch between them with a simple button press." This is thanks to the power of the PlayStation 5.
Another talking point was the game's use of Surveillance Towers to unfog its map. "They're not towers in this next game," Intihar adds.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Back