Spider-Man 2 [PS5]

I was more impressed by the gameplay reveal of Miles Morales back then here : (of course it as the first time)
Also not an fan of the " press the button to switch to Miles " for me it cuts the dynamic of the gameplay. I would even prefer a proper cut directly to Miles point of view rather than presss x to switch. "
I wonder if outside the main missions if we will be able to freely switch beteen peter and Miles seemlessly or not but if I read correctly the blog post they said that we will switch both characters at key moments during the story.
Aesthetically something feels kind a bit off for me. maybe the colour palet or the presentation. Although I love the animation and combos of the finishers I kind of found (so far) less impressive. Yes maybe the colour tone of the trailer.

I finally saw the showcase now and really enjoyed the Spider-Man 2 demo. It'll be interesting to see if, outside of main story missions, you can freely switch between Pete and Miles ala GTA V.

Combat, powers and environment traversal all look fantastic and that is 99% of a spider-man game. It felt like the demo was a mission a few hours into the game given Pete is being effected by the symbiotic suit which I don't recall being in the first game.

Do you think that the dev of SM2 started as ps4 + ps5 and not ps5 only ? Or I don't know,maybe they did a so good job on ps4 that everything coming next looks "meh".

Do you think that the dev of SM2 started as ps4 + ps5 and not ps5 only ? Or I don't know,maybe they did a so good job on ps4 that everything coming next looks "meh".

Or maybe they release many games and don't have enough time to modify the rendering engine. This is the third PS5 games and they did Spiderman Remastered PS5 too. And I am sure the final version with all the polish will look better than this demo.

John's manpower comment is a little odd? The Matrix demo took a team of 20 people just over a year. The easy of production was a big part of what Epic was selling with the demo. To counterpoint myself, we haven't seen a small team release a big open world game on UE5 yet.

John's manpower comment is a little odd? The Matrix demo took a team of 20 people just over a year. The easy of production was a big part of what Epic was selling with the demo. To counterpoint myself, we haven't seen a small team release a big open world game on UE5 yet.

You think the Unreal Engine 5 technology took 20 people working in one year to be made. The engine is years in the making. Insominiac or other teams using proprietary engine need to ship games too.

You think the Unreal Engine 5 technology took 20 people working in one year to be made. The engine is years in the making. Insominiac or other teams using proprietary engine need to ship games too.

He's talking about manpower to build The Matrix city, not the engine/tools (which Insomniac don't have, yet). It's a contradictory comment, as a small team literally build a city of that fidelity.

He's talking about manpower to build The Matrix city, not the engine/tools (which Insomniac don't have, yet). It's a contradictory comment, as a small team literally build a city of that fidelity.

He speaks about internal engine...lol For build Matrix Awakens city you need a Nanite like technology, you need a software GI technology and you need the tools to do it.

Yeah, I think that’s fair. I’m not sure their internal engine has made the leap to the point where The Matrix demo is even feasible. Hell, I don’t think we’ll see any shipping games get close to that for years. It’s not even a hardware power thing - it’s manpower.

@chris1515 he literally said

Hell, I don’t think we’ll see any shipping games get close to that for years. It’s not even a hardware power thing - it’s manpower.

So had moved on from talking about Insomniac specifically. To me anyway. 🙂

@chris1515 he literally said

Hell, I don’t think we’ll see any shipping games get close to that for years. It’s not even a hardware power thing - it’s manpower.

So had moved on from talking about Insomniac specifically. To me anyway. 🙂

Yes but at the end for other game this is the same without equivalent to Nanite and Lumen nothing will approach this level.

I was more impressed by the gameplay reveal of Miles Morales back then here : (of course it as the first time)
Also not an fan of the " press the button to switch to Miles " for me it cuts the dynamic of the gameplay. I would even prefer a proper cut directly to Miles point of view rather than presss x to switch. "
I wonder if outside the main missions if we will be able to freely switch beteen peter and Miles seemlessly or not but if I read correctly the blog post they said that we will switch both characters at key moments during the story.
Aesthetically something feels kind a bit off for me. maybe the colour palet or the presentation. Although I love the animation and combos of the finishers I kind of found (so far) less impressive. Yes maybe the colour tone of the trailer.
Man that looks so much more impressive and pleasing in the eyes

I think the problem is that while that bottom shot that John Linneman provides shows at least some diffuse reflections of the skyscrapers, but the shot that Horatiu Notar provided has no reflections. That makes all the pillars holding up the rail line look like they aren't really "part" of the scene. They're just kind of hovering over the water ... like they've been photoshopped in. At least throw screen space reflections or shadows or "something" there.

Regards,
SB

I think the problem is that while that bottom shot that John Linneman provides shows at least some diffuse reflections of the skyscrapers, but the shot that Horatiu Notar provided has no reflections. That makes all the pillars holding up the rail line look like they aren't really "part" of the scene. They're just kind of hovering over the water ... like they've been photoshopped in. At least throw screen space reflections or shadows or "something" there.

Regards,
SB

The community manager of Insomniac Games confims what John Linneman told.

You can't possibly tell from that angle view with respect to the normal of the water surface if it's ray-traced or SSR. That angle could show SSR being identical to RT. The only way to know for sure is if the camera was lowered to nearly perpendicular to the normal on that water and see if the reflections start to gradually fade out. If it was ray-traced, they certainly rendered that scene at one of the smallest resolutions I've ever seen in a game with RT reflections in order to take advantage of not being able to fire multiple rays (which would induce noise) to create a real blurred reflection.

Back