Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, really? I didn't notice. Seriously, the PS4 advantage over One wasn't all that great in terms of geometry or texture assets superiority, however, PS4 did occasionally enjoy higher framerates or at the vey least, stuck closer to 1080p.
It was 50% more powerful on the GPU side only, 18 CU (1.8Tf) vs 12 CU (1.2 Tf). Regardless, the ESRAM helped scenarios where some games ran better in places on Xbox, a good example being Fallout 4's DLC Far Harbour which had a lot of fog.

It was 50% more powerful on the GPU side only, 18 CU (1.8Tf) vs 12 CU (1.2 Tf).

I know, and I get all that. I'm talking the actual results didn't seem like 50% in terms of outpacing XBO visually in graphics and performance. I'm not saying the PS4 didn't have a edge, but the TERRORFLOPS difference just didn't produce a wide enough graphical disparity when it came to multiplatform games, IMHO.

I know, and I get all that. I'm talking the actual results didn't seem like 50% in terms of outpacing XBO visually in graphics and performance. Not saying the PS4 didn't have a edge, but the TERRORFLOPS difference just didn't produce a wide enough graphical disparity when it came to multiplatform games, IMHO.

Has it ever?

And there were some games that showed pretty large difference, I remember Tomb Raider (2013) being like double the resolution and nearly double the frame rate?? on PS4.

Has it ever?

And there were some games that showed pretty large difference, I remember Tomb Raider (2013) being like double the resolution and nearly double the frame rate?? on PS4.

Maybe, I'm misremembering the prior generation, or that the differences weren't that great? Outside of PS4 having the occasional resolution or fps advantage in multiplatform titles, possibly LoD as well, I never considered PS4 to be a powerhouse over XBO though.

I know, and I get all that. I'm talking the actual results didn't seem like 50% in terms of outpacing XBO visually in graphics and performance. I'm not saying the PS4 didn't have a edge, but the TERRORFLOPS difference just didn't produce a wide enough graphical disparity when it came to multiplatform games, IMHO.
Developers usually used the advantage to display higher resolutions which was easy. 900p vs 1080p which is actually a significant difference: 44% which is about the actual difference of TFLOPS between those machines.

Mind you the 44% resolution difference is very noticeable. No need of 400% zooms to see it.

Maybe, I'm misremembering the prior generation, or that the differences weren't that great? Outside of PS4 having the occasional resolution or fps advantage in multiplatform titles, possibly LoD as well, I never considered PS4 to be a powerhouse over XBO though.

I think the gap started out large, then somewhat reduced mid-way through the generation and then grew larger again towards the end.

I agree, for most multi-platform games the graphics improvements on PS4 were marginal. I think there were a number of factors at play, first is that the Xbox One had more accessible RAM to work with for games and ESRAM could narrow the gap if used smartly. Second, as Globalisateur said, 900p vs 1080p often wasn't a huge difference. And third, last generation CPUs were pretty weak so probably really struggled to make the most of what the GPU could do - especially on PS4.

Every Gears of War looked better than the Uncharteds that came out a year later. So did Rise compared to last of us. How are you seeing Uncharted trumping Epic themselves using their at the time brand new engine with all their knowledge of it ? Uncharted 1 on original hardware looks extremely bad today while Gears 1 looks perfectly fine to play today
Come on, you can't be serious here.
Uncharted 1 had shadows, gears 1 no.
Polygon count was higher in Uncharted 1.
Texture resolution was higher in Uncharted 1.
Lighting was better in Uncharted 1.
Water was a lot better in Uncharted 1.
Animations was a lot better in Uncharted 1.
And in Gears 1 there was a lot of blur in far distance objects.
If we speak about Uncharted 2 and Gears 2, they even not is same league.

Sony exclusives are where the advantage materialized. There is nothing that matches TLOU 2 or Forbidden West on a base Xbox One for example.
Exaclty. That is what I'm talking about. NOt miltiplatform games. I played a lot of 8th gen and nothing stays even close to TLOU 2. That game is superior in almost every aspect comparing to any XBO exclusive. I'm not saying what Sony games is better than XBO games. This is not about gameplay and art design is very subjective. But from technological point of view those 50% was used and not only in TLOU 2.
Also graphics in multiplatform games on XBO was close to PS4 because there wasn't big difference of pwer, or because developers downscaled or made assets at level when games coud also run on XBO? That is very good question.

Last edited:
Sony exclusives are where the advantage materialized. There is nothing that matches TLOU 2 or Forbidden West on a base Xbox One for example.
Fairly positive Gears 4 and 5, and Forza Horizon 4 and 5 are fairly strong contenders. Outside of resolution they run and look fantastic. They also went a step further and ran flawlessly on PC with multiplayer support.

I would also say that Halo Infinite is pretty comparable as well. They pushed the hell out of the old Xbox one in that game.

Most people just weren’t paying any attention to it, but these were all cross generation games and most people ignored what they looked like on XBO.

Last edited:
Fairly positive Gears 4 and 5, and Forza Horizon 4 and 5 are fairly strong contenders. Outside of resolution they run and look fantastic. They also went a step further and ran flawlessly on PC with multiplayer support.

I would also say that Halo Infinite is pretty comparable as well. They pushed the hell out of the old Xbox one in that game.

Most people just weren’t paying any attention to it, but these were all cross generation games and most people ignored what they looked like on XBO.
Those games look great but don't match up. Materials, geometry, shading, animation, IQ etc. are all better on the PS4 titles.

Those games look great but don't match up. Materials, geometry, shading, animation etc. are all better on the PS4 titles.
Don’t be dismissive. It’s makes your argument look weak. Most of you prefer a particular style, that doesn’t mean it’s not hardware incapable on Xbox.

I’ve played both TLOU and finished Horizon on my ps5. I’m not seeing this ground breaking visuals when I was playing the best games on Xbox one. It’s still hard to find a game that looks as good as Ryse Son of Rome and that didn’t even get the benefit of leaving generic DX11 and it’s a launch title.

No singular game I have seen has it “all”. The idea that these 2 games trump every aspect of every game ever made for xbo is straight up dismissal. You’ve just never spent any time to play games on xbox.

I’m okay with saying 1080p and 900p, because that is largely what more compute and bandwidth amounted to. But this idea that ps4 exclusives were running this unreachable bar of graphical settings that XBO could not hit is really not provable.

Last edited:
Don’t be dismissive. It’s makes your argument look weak. Most of you prefer a particular style, that doesn’t mean it’s not hardware incapable on Xbox.

I’ve played both TLOU and finished Horizon on my ps5. I’m not seeing this ground breaking visuals when I was playing the best games on Xbox one. It’s still hard to find a game that looks as good as Ryse Son of Rome and that didn’t even get the benefit of leaving generic DX11 and it’s a launch title.

No singular game I have seen has it “all”. The idea that these 2 games trump every aspect of every game ever made for xbo is straight up dismissal. You’ve just never spent any time to play games on xbox.

I’m okay with saying 1080p and 900p, because that is largely what more compute and bandwidth amounted to. But this idea that ps4 exclusives were running this unreachable bar of graphical settings that XBO could not hit is really not provable.
Not sure how I was being dismissive. Of course it isn’t going to be groundbreaking with only a 50% higher compute capacity. What you do get are a noticeable bump to the fundamentals. Higher geometry in environments and characters, better assets and materials, less noticeable flaws etc. I would contend that the Order 1866 compares favorably with Ryse.

Not sure how I was being dismissive. Of course it isn’t going to be groundbreaking with only a 50% higher compute capacity. What you do get are a noticeable bump to the fundamentals. Higher geometry in environments and characters, better assets and materials, less noticeable flaws etc. I would contend that the Order 1866 compares favorably with Ryse.
I think when you used the all unmatched term I guess I was triggered. Not because I don’t think the exclusives are incredible for what they did. But mainly because all of these titles push boundaries in the areas they want you looking, and pull back heavily in the areas you aren’t looking.

Better assets, materials and environments are entirely up to the studio in terms of funding and time but also the type of game they are looking to make.

I’m not seeing a ps4 advantage that doesn’t typically accumulate into just running a higher resolution. I still think for instance RDR2 is probably the best looking game of last generation among all the titles I’ve played on PS and XBO, but oh boy was the latency terrible.

It’s really a game of trade offs. I truly believe that PS4 was the better of it and that typically manifested in better resolution and frame rate; but I lot of what we consider to be better graphics just comes down to the studio, funding, time, and the type of game they are looking to make.

I only brought up Ryse because it fits the profile of what people think looks incredible, but it’s probably doesn’t push the XBO all that hard.

What ND accomplished with animation in TLOU2 is probably bar none. But that was an incredible amount of software engineering and not necessarily a result of hardware prowess. The XBO and PS4 could likely both do this since animation is largely a CPU requirement.

Those games look great but don't match up. Materials, geometry, shading, animation, IQ etc. are all better on the PS4 titles.
Tech discussion need technical arguments. You need to qualify every measure of 'better' to account for artistry. eg. Better materials - are these technical better, pushing more shader effort, or are they just prettier achieving a more aesthetically pleasing look with the same basic tech?

Also, checking the title, why are we discussing PS4 games in a current gen thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back