The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Well then they'd need to do like 10mins more content per episode for starters & the vast majority of shows have a complete lack of talent for the writing of the already short amount of content...

Well then they'd need to do like 10mins more content per episode for starters & the vast majority of shows have a complete lack of talent for the writing of the already short amount of content...
so if the writers have it worse, it will somehow be better?

here are some insights from george rr martin

NONE OF IT would have been possible, if not for the things I learned on TWILIGHT ZONE as a Staff Writer and Story Editor. I was the most junior of junior writers, maybe a hot(ish) young writer in the world of SF, but in TV I was so green that I would have been invisible against a green screen. And that, in my opinion, is the most important of the things that the Guild is fighting for. The right to have that kind of career path. To enable new writers, young writers, and yes, prose writers, to climb the same ladder.

Right now, they can’t. Streamers and shortened seasons have blown the ladder to splinters. The way it works now, a show gets put in development, the showrunner assembles a “mini-room,” made up of a couple of senior writers and a couple newcomers, they meet for a month or two, beat out the season, break down the episodes, go off and write scripts, reassemble, get notes, give notes, rewrite, rinse and repeat… and finally turn into the scripts. And show is greenlit (or not, some shows never get past the room) and sent into production. The showrunner and his second, maybe his second and his third, take it from there. The writer producers. The ones who already know all the things that I learned on TWILIGHT ZONE.

I'm saying there's a shortage of actually good writing talent.
I haven't been following this thing, if I'm understanding correctly the networks are wanting to stop giving separate credit to writers or something?

My comment was supposed to be funny: less people getting separate credits = shorter credits screens -> for a given overall run time the networks would need to be paying the writers more to produce longer episodes which is probably the opposite of the intent.

I'm saying there's a shortage of actually good writing talent.
I haven't been following this thing, if I'm understanding correctly the networks are wanting to stop giving separate credit to writers or something?

My comment was supposed to be funny: less people getting separate credits = shorter credits screens -> for a given overall run time the networks would need to be paying the writers more to produce longer episodes which is probably the opposite of the intent.
no this is basically about money

If they don't give the same credit, they don't get as much money?
i dont know about that

more like the use of mini rooms and shorter seasons makes it so that writers dont earn money

Frankly, writers going to strike stirs my emotions much like telemarketing union going to strike. Or MTV reality show staff doing the same. Maybe I'm unfair and all the shit nowadays indeed is the result of underappreciation of writers or idiocy of showrunners, but I've found myself unmotivated to start watching any new shows for some time now. They will suck anyway.

Frankly, writers going to strike stirs my emotions much like telemarketing union going to strike. Or MTV reality show staff doing the same. Maybe I'm unfair and all the shit nowadays indeed is the result of underappreciation of writers or idiocy of showrunners, but I've found myself unmotivated to start watching any new shows for some time now. They will suck anyway.
I think the problem is that the shows get even worse without them. Directors/Producers start taking over writing everything themselves and you end up with modern Star Trek.

Actually more writers have entered the profession since the advent of streaming.

But their incomes have been flat or negative since 2007, when there were 300 scripted shows vs. now, when there are about 600 scripted shows.

Their #1 issue is money. Streaming shows tend to have 10 episodes at most. Old shows 15 years ago had 22 episodes or more a season.

But they're also worried about AI. The studios won't negotiate AI with the writers, they've said. They won't promise not to use AI.

Not just to generate scripts but to generate story ideas which then could be given to screenwriters to turn into scripts.

Not just to generate scripts but to generate story ideas which then could be given to screenwriters to turn into scripts.
This is a point I don't think they're going to win on, and I'm not entirely sure that they should. Inspiration can come from many sources, why not an AI prompt as long as the writers get paid fairly for the completed project? If it means the writers get less since it's not their original idea then screw that!

It still seems a gray area to me, AI is weird.

here are some shows i found good lately, maybe youd like some of them, in no particular order
yellowjackets
the old man
dark winds
landscapers
perry mason
slow horses
under the banner of heaven
your honor (with bryan cranston)
for all mankind
from
the last thing he told me

and of course the big hitters like
severance
succession
barry

Last edited:
This is a point I don't think they're going to win on, and I'm not entirely sure that they should. Inspiration can come from many sources, why not an AI prompt as long as the writers get paid fairly for the completed project? If it means the writers get less since it's not their original idea then screw that!

It still seems a gray area to me, AI is weird.

There are copyright issues involved too.

For instance, if they "train" the AI on books by certain authors or ask the AI to write a story in the style of a novel by Stephen King say, rather than license or cut a deal with Stephen King to adapt for a show or a movie, would they have to pay those authors that the AI emulates or would they be liable to a copyright infringement suit?

There are copyright issues involved too.

For instance, if they "train" the AI on books by certain authors or ask the AI to write a story in the style of a novel by Stephen King say, rather than license or cut a deal with Stephen King to adapt for a show or a movie, would they have to pay those authors that the AI emulates or would they be liable to a copyright infringement suit?
its also the sheer scale. an ai trained on a llm can consume much much more than a human could and remember more (all?) and see patterns that might need academic study for regular humans to see

there should be some kind of licensing model whereby the ai people had to actually pay for the consumed content even if its freely available. an opt-out or do-not-model flag would also be needed

here are some shows i found good lately, maybe youd like some of them, in no particular order
yellowjackets
the old man
dark winds
landscapers
perry mason
slow horses
under the banner of heaven
your honor (with bryan cranston)
for all mankind
from
the last thing he told me

and of course the big hitters like
severance
succession
barry

Thanks but I'm already overwhelmed with stuff I think I should see but just can't make myself do it. I have unseen seasons of the Boys, Umbrella Academy and Expanse still in front of my backlog. For some reason I put them on hold to see Picard and that took away my will to live.

Thanks but I'm already overwhelmed with stuff I think I should see but just can't make myself do it. I have unseen seasons of the Boys, Umbrella Academy and Expanse still in front of my backlog. For some reason I put them on hold to see Picard and that took away my will to live.
the boys and expanse good too yes

Back