PlayStation Showcase 2023

It means that by aiming for 60fps, they had less ambition in terms of upgrading their technology and presentation values. They knew this would result in limitations and so put less effort and priority into this area than they otherwise would have.
Then how do you explain the "greater" ambition of other games that also offer 60fps while looking significantly better?

If it's an issue with the engine insomniac are using, then they probably need to either upgrade their engine or move to a new one. I get the feasibility of that is difficult due to the scheduling of having to be working on a new project constantly rather than underlying tech, but still it's worth looking into

I honestly think we are seeing the issues that Covid caused on Sony playing out now in terms of what they are releasing. If you look at the covid period the majority of what they released were remaster/remakes or direct sequels to games only a few years old. I have a feeling a lot of stuff is just internally delayed which sucks in the short term but will end up better in the long term for sony.

Spiderman 2 is likely shown off because its just Spiderman and Spiderman MM with some additional work on top of them. To me it looks like a really weak year for fist party exclusives from sony , esp if nothing sizable comes out from the Geoff show. Who knows they could have saved something for that show

Very underwhelming for me personally. I was expecting more first part SP banger IPs and Spider-Man 2, while obviously nice... didn't impress me like I thought it would.

Because they had to be. To even run the games themselves. This generation you can get away with not doing that and having reduced graphical fidelity. Which will also be mitigated somewhat with optional 30fps modes. The most important thing is creativity of the devs more than forcing games to 30fps nowadays.
No, it wasn't some 'had to be' situation. If 30fps was unplayable, these games wouldn't have been praised so much. It's not like 60fps is some new thing. All these people had played or have been playing 60fps games the entire time.

The craze over '60fps or die' nowadays is just insanely ridiculous.

And no, game technology is not all just infinitely and easily scalable from 33ms down to 16ms. This is actually a huge gulf in the amount of overhead and freedom devs have to push things.

No, it wasn't some 'had to be' situation. If 30fps was unplayable, these games wouldn't have been praised so much. It's not like 60fps is some new thing. All these people had played or have been playing 60fps games the entire time.

The craze over '60fps or die' nowadays is just insanely ridiculous.

And no, game technology is not all just infinitely and easily scalable from 33ms down to 16ms. This is actually a huge gulf in the amount of overhead and freedom devs have to push things.

One thing to remember is that when people are introduced to something new it takes awhile for some to adapt. For awhile they might even dislike it. However slowly over time it becomes the new normal. Eventually going backwards is a non option for many since they are used to the new thing.

I remember when Bluray launched a lot of people said dvds were good enough. Eventually however a lot of those people ended up picking up blurays and slowly got used to them and didn't want to or couldn't deal with the iq loss going back to dvd. Same with when FSAA was introduced. People used to say it wasn't needed and then slowly people couldn't live without it.

I mean technically 240p isn't unplayable and a lot of people enjoy saturn and playstation games now. But how many people would be okay with Sony releasing Spider-man 2 at only 240p on the ps5 ?

We are now finally seeing the outcome of the 2019 direction at Playstation focusing on cross-gen games (PS4 and/or PC) and insane deadlines "3 games / year by developer".

It's not about 60fps at all (as we have seen in countless incredibly looking games running at >=60fps on PS5 whether exclusive or multiplat). This is just what happens when the accountants are managing a game company.

I dont think it is a cross-gen problem. We have to remember that the jump from the PS4 to PS5 is a small one for the seven years. 10 TFLOPs vs. 1,86 TFLOPs - or ~5x more. Going from 1080p to 4k increases pixel count by 4x...

You just cant increase image quality with rasterizing. It is not possible. And if 10TFLOPs and 448gb would be enough then a 4090 should be light years ahead of the PS5. In the end a PS5 is either a 1080p console with next gen graphics or a hardware upscaler for PS4 image quality.

People think they want 60fps.

People were also perfectly happy playing games at 30fps last gen. Almost every major PS4 blockbuster title that got mountains of praise and love were 30fps titles. 99% of these '60fps or die' folks would have little issue going back to 30fps if they had no other option.

But yea, I've been saying for a while now that if this '60fps or die' mentality starts manifesting within development studios, this generation will be disappointing from a technical standpoint, as devs will not be pushing the hardware like it could be. It's basically like halving the entire generation leap, from a processor horsepower standpoint.

I want 120 fps :) ... but that's why I switched to PC. I watch these conferences because they usually show games that will come to PC. Unfortunately I think the whole games industry is trash right now. I think the cost of making games has made studios play things so safe that every game looks like some boring formula that's been repeated since the PS360 generation. I don't expect the competition to show anything better.

Games are struggling to keep up with the hardware this gen.

The animation looks too good for what seems like the gameplay segments. I suspect this was all highly customized footage or them framing cutscenes as gameplay.
I thought this was an update on Project : the peceiver at first. lvoe the animation, but careful.

The animation looks too good for what seems like the gameplay segments. I suspect this was all highly customized footage or them framing cutscenes as gameplay.
Typical Chinese tech demo vertical slice that never becomes a game. I'd still be surprised if wukong actually comes out. I can't remember how many of these things I have seen especially after ue5 came out that are clearly not products but videos

I dont think it is a cross-gen problem. We have to remember that the jump from the PS4 to PS5 is a small one for the seven years. 10 TFLOPs vs. 1,86 TFLOPs - or ~5x more. Going from 1080p to 4k increases pixel count by 4x...

You just cant increase image quality with rasterizing. It is not possible. And if 10TFLOPs and 448gb would be enough then a 4090 should be light years ahead of the PS5. In the end a PS5 is either a 1080p console with next gen graphics or a hardware upscaler for PS4 image quality.

I believe most of the issue with Spider-Man 2 boils down to art direction. A "been-there-seen-it" art direction that isn't fresh. Looking at The Last of Us on PC, it still uses all the same geometry and art assets as the PS5 edition, but looks vastly superior on PC with additional lighting and shadowing features which heightens the game's imagery. From my perspective anyhow, Spider-Man 2 is suffering from a tired "already been there" art direction, and simplistic looking daylight lighting.

No, it wasn't some 'had to be' situation. If 30fps was unplayable, these games wouldn't have been praised so much.
Your missing my point. I'm saying the games literally would not exist if 30fps wasn't focused on. The consoles would not be able to run those types of games. The jaguar CPUs were so weak that the entire game industry switched to GPU limited games in the 8th gen. This is why PC was always so far ahead by default.

This gen is different in that the consoles are a lot more balanced now and the CPU can do a lot more of the heavy lifting to for example keep the games open world with a decent amount of world interaction while staying at 60 with reasonable graphics.

And now that players are expecting 60fps modes the choice to reign in some fidelity to get there is a lot easier of a choice for devs.

The important part is proof that Alan Wake and Max Payne share the world and Max Payne 2, let alone the abomination claiming to be Max Payne 3 were never canon, which should have been obvious due the main roles using stolen identity!

I honestly think we are seeing the issues that Covid caused on Sony playing out now in terms of what they are releasing. If you look at the covid period the majority of what they released were remaster/remakes or direct sequels to games only a few years old. I have a feeling a lot of stuff is just internally delayed which sucks in the short term but will end up better in the long term for sony.

Spiderman 2 is likely shown off because its just Spiderman and Spiderman MM with some additional work on top of them. To me it looks like a really weak year for fist party exclusives from sony , esp if nothing sizable comes out from the Geoff show. Who knows they could have saved something for that show
COVID impacted the entire industry, but because Sony were still releasing games it seemed like it didn't affect them much but maybe it did. Either way people are right to feel disappointed after a 2 year wait.

For the Xbox showcase I am expecting actual gameplay reveals of all the games from 2018 that they haven't showed off yet and we haven't seen. But maybe it'll be like Sony's where they show off a bunch of third party games we have already seen and no first parties to be seen.

Neither Sony nor MS will have had a strong year by the end with third parties largely making up the difference.

However, if MS just shows off persona 3 remake in their show however they will have won the battle of the 2023 summer console pub showcases for me. Since that game atleast has not been shown off yet and is way more to my taste than the games I saw today. No insult the games shown off today of course, I'm looking forward to quite a few.

Maybe I would be more excited if I had a lot of memories of MGS, but I wasn't really an MGS kind of guy in the first place. This collection will be my first time seriously trying to get into these games outside of playing a demo of the original game all the way back in ps1 era

Why is next-gen engine still not popular?

UE5 progress is slow.

Even SONY studios don’t show any next-gen engines.

So Spider-Man 2 is PS5 exclusive from what I'm reading. I'm a little bit surprised, but at the same time ... maybe not. It's a big open world game. Insomniac isn't Rockstar. They can't take ten years to make all of the models and materials. I wouldn't be surprised if the bottleneck is the content pipeline more than the renderer and real-time part of the engine.

So Spider-Man 2 is PS5 exclusive from what I'm reading. I'm a little bit surprised, but at the same time ... maybe not. It's a big open world game. Insomniac isn't Rockstar. They can't take ten years to make all of the models and materials. I wouldn't be surprised if the bottleneck is the content pipeline more than the renderer and real-time part of the engine.
But UE5 Matrix looks like a true next-gen game. It looks way better and it is still an open-world game.

Back