Nvidia shows signs in [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we please just establish the points rather than relative comparisons and telling everyone rhey're dumb for not seeing things your way?
I already did, multiple times. A die size doesn't tell us anything about what a price of a product using this die "should" be. I've also explained why, with links where possible.
The general notion that a die size is somehow the reason why a product must cost the same as some other product from 10 years ago with a completely different die made on a different process is just absurd.
Those trying to paint it as a "pro Nvidia" argument are welcome to find me mentioning anything about Nvidia in particular in any of my posts.

There is zero historical context or evidence that would convince the Nvidia crew that Nvidia are doing anything wrong, ever. Or that the paths Nvidia chooses to make are not necessarily the best for PC future. It's the reason why threads and sections continue to be shut down here.

There is zero historical context or evidence that would convince the Nvidia crew that Nvidia are doing anything wrong, ever. Or that the paths Nvidia chooses to make are not necessarily the best for PC future. It's the reason why threads and sections continue to be shut down here.
Can you provide any examples of other IC designers doing differently? If not then this is just another typical thread derail from "AMD crew" member who would prefer to just close all discussions b/c they can't prove their point otherwise.

Can you provide any examples of other IC designers doing differently? If not then this is just another typical thread derail from "AMD crew" member who would prefer to just close all discussions b/c they can't prove their point otherwise.
Being as this is an nVidia thread I think commenting on their company's attitude historically to bad launches is fair game without comparing them to anyone but themselves. I ain't defending AMD here, there launch is pretty damn atrocious too, but mentioning that nVidia has never admitted to bad launches and will ignore the gaming community input is very historically accurate.

That's not saying other companies are better or perfect, it's just commenting on nVidia and their rather shit PR dept.

EDITED BITS: "their" for "there", it's too early. Sorry.

This isn't the point of the discussion though.
In the "nVidia shows signs" thread it's not a point of discussion to mention how their current attitude towards sales is affecting them? I humbly disagree, but will take your point into consideration.
Yeah, it's just more crap to get people irritated and the thread derailed. Didn't he leave the forum?
It's not meant to be, and no I didn't. You think you can get rid of me that easily after 25 years or so here? :p

I'm not trying to derail, if you think I am I'll gladly drop out of the discussion and let y'all just discuss nVidia in the safety of your own bubble.

It's not meant to be, and no I didn't. You think you can get rid of me that easily after 25 years or so here? :p

I'm not trying to derail, if you think I am I'll gladly drop out of the discussion and let y'all just discuss nVidia in the safety of your own bubble.
Many of us have 25+ years so that's not saying much except attitudes don't change. Since it is RX 7600 launch day I guess it never crossed your mind to direct your PR fetish in the AMD thread.

Many people at B3D have 25 years in here? It's hard to tell since the great database wipe in 2002. I hadn't thought to post in the AMD execution thread, but I did so and I won't post any more AMD stuff here.

In the "nVidia shows signs" thread it's not a point of discussion to mention how their current attitude towards sales is affecting them? I humbly disagree, but will take your point into consideration.
The point of the discussion was that implying some product price range as being always inherent to some die size range is wrong. Everything else are people seeing things which aren't there.

Nvidia are just continuing the shift down of the stack, using the premise of super resolution and frame generation as the benchmark for price/performance.

Which is working great for me. Looks at the games I own and see's a total of 1 that supports frame generation. Yup, totally a value add there. :p Not that I would use it in general anyway due to the artifacting that it can and does introduce in motion.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
NVIDIA Q1 results are in, they are firing on all cylinders considering the current world economics.

-Data Center revenue was a record, up 14% from a year ago and up 18% sequentially
-Gaming revenue was down 38% from a year ago and up 22% sequentially (the highest since post-crypto crash)
-Professional Visualization revenue was down 53% from a year ago and up 31% sequentially
-Automotive revenue was up 114% from a year ago and up 1% sequentially
-OEM and Other revenue was down 51% from a year ago and down 8% sequentially

Total Revenue is $7.192 billion down 13% YoY and Up 19% QoQ.
Q2 Revenue is expected to be a HUGE $11.00 billion .. which is a massive 57% increase sequentially!

Last edited:
NVIDIA Q1 results are in, they are firing on all cylinders considering the current world economics.

-Data Center revenue was a record, up 14% from a year ago and up 18% sequentially
-Gaming revenue was down 38% from a year ago and up 22% sequentially
-Professional Visualization revenue was down 53% from a year ago and up 31% sequentially
-Automotive revenue was up 114% from a year ago and up 1% sequentially
-OEM and Other revenue was down 51% from a year ago and down 8% sequentially

Total Revenue is $7.192 billion down 13% YoY and Up 19% QoQ.
Q2 Revenue is expected to be a HUGE $11.00 billion .. which is a massive 57% increase sequentially!

So massively overcharging for cards can make you monies? WOWZERS!

So massively overcharging for cards can make you monies? WOWZERS!
"Gaming revenue was down 38% from a year ago" - no, "massively overcharging for cards" doesn't seem to be making you any moneyzzz.
"and up 22% sequentially" - no, Lovelace cards don't seem to have any issues with actual sales either.

"Gaming revenue was down 38% from a year ago" - no, "massively overcharging for cards" doesn't seem to be making you any moneyzzz.
"and up 22% sequentially" - no, Lovelace cards don't seem to have any issues with actual sales either.
Not being a finances person can I be confused by that? Gaming revenue is down so over charging for cards doesn't make you money, but it's up 22% sequentially so doesn't it?

Honestly confused, not trying to fight.

Gaming revenue is down so over charging for cards doesn't make you money, but it's up 22% sequentially so doesn't it?
Revenue is down because a year ago it was still a market with ETH driven demand with much higher volume of sales. 1Q23 was one of two or three quarters maybe during which some of said demand has actually come into Nv's margins after the launch of grossly overpriced Ampere SKUs (3080Ti and such).

Now there are no such sales obviously but the fact that gaming revenue has improved 22% from previous quarter shows that the demand on current product mix is fine - not as high as mining induced craze obviously but it's still growing with new launches (4070 launched in April) meaning that the new cards are selling meaning that actual consumers don't see much being wrong with them.

GM is stable meaning that there's no change in Nvidia's margins either. Which btw makes me wonder if they are offsetting some margin loss in gaming with margins from DC/ML at the moment.

Revenue is down because a year ago it was still a market with ETH driven demand with much higher volume of sales. 1Q23 was one of two or three quarters maybe during which some of said demand has actually come into Nv's margins after the launch of grossly overpriced Ampere SKUs (3080Ti and such).

Now there are no such sales obviously but the fact that gaming revenue has improved 22% from previous quarter shows that the demand on current product mix is fine - not as high as mining induced craze obviously but it's still growing with new launches (4070 launched in April) meaning that the new cards are selling meaning that actual consumers don't see much being wrong with them.

GM is stable meaning that there's no change in Nvidia's margins either. Which btw makes me wonder if they are offsetting some margin loss in gaming with margins from DC/ML at the moment.
Thank you, I get your point now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back