Value of Hardware Unboxed benchmarking *spawn

Honestly, the gamers nexus review of the 7600 is worse than the hardware unboxed one. The beginning doesn't make any sense. Maybe I'm wrong, but AMD never announced the $300 price, did they? Whining that they can't be trusted to competently launch a product because they changed the price at the last minute is a very weird framing. Like from the consumers perspective the launch price is $270, and it was never $300. Plus, $270 is better than $300. It's a positive correction. What difference does it make if they changed the price at the last minute? He asks what signal it sends to consumers if they change the price at the last minute. None? That it was $30 too expensive? I get that it would suck to have to last-minute edit your videos to reflect the new price, but it's such a non-issue for consumers that I don't understand why it's in the review at all.

Edit: This is actual hard to watch. Stfu, show me the data, give your conclusion and be done with it. I don't need the backstory and whatever personal grievances you have.

The Hardware Unboxed one isn't too bad. Some grievances about change in price and having to stay up to correct the video, but it's pretty brief and it mostly just goes through the data and makes a conclusion. Gamer's Nexus is complaining about poor communication of release date, drivers, the schedule of their filming or something etc. I mean, who fucking cares? The only thing that matters is the actual product you buy. I get that he feels it's unfair to change the price at the last minute because it means they have to adjust their conclusions etc. But ultimately, for the consumer, lowering the price is better than not lowering it. It's not like they should keep the $300 price to make it easier on reviewers and partners. I can understand if reviewers and partners want to fight it out with AMD, I just don't think the review is the right place to do it.

Last edited:
Intel should be in a position to take the budget gpu segment because both AMD and Nvidia missed.
The same Si cost problems apply to Intel as well. Both broadly as a result of exploding fab costs across the industry, but in this case in an even more specific way because Intel is using TSMC for their GPUs.

Intel can make a business decision to sell products at a low margin (or even negative, as they have in the past) in order to corner a market segment, but the company doesn't seem to be in a position to make such gambles. Even if they do, it's not a sustainable strategy.

I thought it was valid of GN to make the points about the launch confusion, it gave a feel of just how disjointed and out of step AMD is right now with their products and the community. Steve likes to base his reviews on value and by dropping the price they messed with his whole style of reviewing which I can get is irritating to him, but you have a valid point that it's a bit overblown and the intro and extro can correct any thoughts on price/performance without affecting the numbers.

HU was brutal on both launches, which I think is the way to be for both launches since they both are major disapointments.

I thought it was valid of GN to make the points about the launch confusion, it gave a feel of just how disjointed and out of step AMD is right now with their products and the community. Steve likes to base his reviews on value and by dropping the price they messed with his whole style of reviewing which I can get is irritating to him, but you have a valid point that it's a bit overblown and the intro and extro can correct any thoughts on price/performance without affecting the numbers.

HU was brutal on both launches, which I think is the way to be for both launches since they both are major disapointments.

From my perspective, if these things can happen, then film all of the discussion about the performance data leaving out mention of price to performance and have all of the price to performance discussion in one segment of the video so you can swap it out without having to re-edit the whole thing. It's a highly competitive industry, that kind of stuff is going to happen, especially from the underdog players that have to be very reactive to the market leaders. There are basically two things that can change at the last second: release date, price. They should be helping themselves by anticipating change changes at the last second and building that into their workflow. That's basic professional stuff in any job. AMD can't cater their business decisions specifically to techtubers. Youtube is a crunch industry if you targetted day one release videos.

HU tested the heaviest section of TLOU in the woods. Daniel Owen tested the prologue so it could be why.
Computerbase gets 42 FPS on a 6800 1440p, AMDUnboxed has 65FPS:
111ef9bb53e5ca4734b02226b6d83c5d5c0080c8253746acda2624b6d873be94.jpg

Obviously they do not test "the heaviest section" of TLoU.

Didnt expect anything else that this channel is looking for the best AMD case. They even say that every new nVidia GPUs except 4090 is worse than AMD's:

A 4060TI is twice as fast as a 7600:
deathloop-rt-1920-1080.png

Yeah, now lower prices are bad too apparently. Sigh.
I'm not saying that, it's just changing it on reviewers at last minute makes their jobs a lot harder and it shouldn't have to be. I was just meaning to opine that I think there was a lot of confusion within AMD about this launch and they didn't handle it very well.
From my perspective, if these things can happen, then film all of the discussion about the performance data leaving out mention of price to performance and have all of the price to performance discussion in one segment of the video so you can swap it out without having to re-edit the whole thing. It's a highly competitive industry, that kind of stuff is going to happen, especially from the underdog players that have to be very reactive to the market leaders. There are basically two things that can change at the last second: release date, price. They should be helping themselves by anticipating change changes at the last second and building that into their workflow. That's basic professional stuff in any job. AMD can't cater their business decisions specifically to techtubers. Youtube is a crunch industry if you targetted day one release videos.
And drivers. Imagine running 15 benchmarks multiple times in various resolutions only to have to rerun them a few days before because "they gave out the wrong drivers". That would SUCK, if it's even possible to pull off. AMD has long had a branch of PR that deals with media relations, and for now youtubers make up probably the largest segment of that for them. They have people dedicated to working with reviewers and back in my day they were pretty freaking awesome about trying to not dick over the press. (I'm looking at you Chris Hook, and man I miss you there! :love:)

I just have a gut feeling something ain't right behind the scenes at AMD, or some departments are clashing/not communicating well. It happens and it always leads to trouble, I just don't have any good inside access to find out what's going on right now and my brain is just constantly tossing up ideas at me.

I'm not going to argue this though because this isn't the place and I don't want to make trouble for the mods. Just saying that the 7600 launch was shit and I'm curious as to why. The 7600 is shit too, but that's something we can all laugh together about sometime when the proper threads are open again, which might actually happen if we could start having civil conversations about it. I'm willing to try and be civil, thus why I'm not gonna really beat a dead horse here unless someone wants to point out an error or something.

Computerbase gets 42 FPS on a 6800 1440p, AMDUnboxed has 65FPS:

Obviously they do not test "the heaviest section" of TLoU.
I don't think a 6800 should be dropping down to 42fps under any circumstances at 1440p. Unless they reviewed the launch version or something.

I think there was a lot of confusion within AMD about this launch and they didn't handle it very well.
Why do you think there was confusion? It’s perfectly normal for a company to constantly monitor changing variables and model various pricing strategies before launch.

In this specific case HWUB states in their review that AMD asked them for some early feedback based on a tentative $300 price point. Feedback was negative (possibly from other reviewers as well), so AMD revised their strategy and lowered the price in response.

It all seems very healthy.

I don't think a 6800 should be dropping down to 42fps under any circumstances at 1440p. Unless they reviewed the launch version or something.
They just test a different area.

Look at Spider-Man and a more heavy scene with raytracing - 45% more costs get you 70% more performance.
MaSPID1-2.png
That is even a fair comparision, in 1440p this "better" product is useless.
MaSPID2-2-768x768.png

That is a $150 GPU at best and at $269 much worse than a 4060TI... (that is actually an archivement).

If ray tracing is involved don't underestimate AMD's ability to choke hard. :yep2:

They just test a different area.

Look at Spider-Man and a more heavy scene with raytracing - 45% more costs get you 70% more performance.
MaSPID1-2.png
That is even a fair comparision, in 1440p this "better" product is useless.
MaSPID2-2-768x768.png

That is a $150 GPU at best and at $269 much worse than a 4060TI... (that is actually an archivement).
There is no RT in TLOU Part I. The PS5 runs it at High settings 1440p and generally 60-80fps. A 6800 shouldn't drop to 42fps at 1440p. HU's results seem more in line with what I've seen from the people here, DF, and my own tests.

There is no RT in TLOU Part I. The PS5 runs it at High settings 1440p and generally 60-80fps. A 6800 shouldn't drop to 42fps at 1440p. HU's results seem more in line with what I've seen from the people here, DF, and my own tests.
My mistake, thanks for correcting me and letting me know the facts. :)

I'm not saying that, it's just changing it on reviewers at last minute makes their jobs a lot harder and it shouldn't have to be. I was just meaning to opine that I think there was a lot of confusion within AMD about this launch and they didn't handle it very well.
I was talking about GN's Steve (don't really watch HUB's Steve anymore, too much BS to sort through). He's spent like 15 minutes ranting about how messy the launch was behind the scenes including the sudden lowering of the MSRP - as if that never happened previously - and only once (I think?) during this period he said that lower price is in fact a good thing.

Too much whining based on unrealistic expectations all around. And things WILL get worse further down the road. Just do a damn review of the product at hand comparing it to other options available. Stop saying what you think should be a better reality because there is none. If you want to discuss that so much (and believe that you have something worthy to say on the subject) do a separate editorial type video which wouldn't be a part of an actual product review.

Microsoft talks a little bit about WinML right now. AMD will support WinML, Metacommands and better efficiency and performance only on RDNA3 cards:
Microsoft has provided a path in DirectML for vendors like AMD to enable optimizations called ‘metacommands’. In the case of Stable Diffusion with the Olive pipeline, AMD is building driver support for a metacommand implementation intended to improve performance and reduce the time it takes to generate output from the model. This feature will be validated on AMD RDNA™ 3 devices including AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 Series graphics cards and AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series Mobile processors with Radeon™ graphics.

Another great example what happens when you buy a "recommended" GPU like a 6800XT(6900XT) instead of a RTX4070.

Last edited:
Microsoft talks a little bit about WinML right now. AMD will support WinML, Metacommands and better efficiency and performance only on RDNA3 cards:

Another great example what happens when you buy a "recommended" GPU like a 6800XT(6900XT) instead of a RTX4070.
I doubt anyone is buying the 6800 XT for AI performance.

Back