Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Alex saying in the recent podcast that the 4060ti is gonna be way more powerful than PS5? But PS5 is about on par with the normal 3070 from what I know. And the 4060ti barely beats it and even can be weaker depending on the game. Is it just the ram capacity at work?

Kinda feel like the 60 series should have been 10 to 12gb
Unless I am mistaken, I think it was Rich talking about the relative power to the PS5. I was talking about texture quality and other setting quality mainly when I spoke.

Memory allocation is probably the easiest thing Nvidia could fix for their next GPU line. But people are really feeling the mediocrity of the 4000 series of GPUs. I don't know if it's technologically possible for Nvidia to improve the situation with greater power increases per gen. But they should atleast get their product prices down.

They are gonna have to eat some loss to get people to feel these things are worth buying. It's not cheap to make a gpu but it's kinda pointless if you spent all that money making the things and they also don't sell on top of that

Memory allocation is probably the easiest thing Nvidia could fix for their next GPU line. But people are really feeling the mediocrity of the 4000 series of GPUs. I don't know if it's technologically possible for Nvidia to improve the situation with greater power increases per gen. But they should atleast get their product prices down.

They are gonna have to eat some loss to get people to feel these things are worth buying. It's not cheap to make a gpu but it's kinda pointless if you spent all that money making the things and they also don't sell on top of that
What an amazing turn of events, we went from GPUs are impossible to buy to we have GPUs that noone will buy (yes yes slight over dramatic on my side).

Wasn't Alex saying in the recent podcast that the 4060ti is gonna be way more powerful than PS5? But PS5 is about on par with the normal 3070 from what I know. And the 4060ti barely beats it and even can be weaker depending on the game. Is it just the ram capacity at work?

The PS5 is much closer to the 2070 than the 3070. It’s not close to the 3070 at all except for in TLOU and Uncharted. The 3070 otherwise is anywhere from 25% to 50% faster provided it doesn’t have a VRAM bottleneck.

Even the 3060 Ti is generally quite a bit faster than the PS5.

The PS5 is much closer to the 2070 than the 3070. It’s not close to the 3070 at all except for in TLOU and Uncharted. The 3070 otherwise is anywhere from 25% to 50% faster provided it doesn’t have a VRAM bottleneck.

I see. I always saw PS5 associated with the 2/70 super not the base 2070 but I was maybe mistaken

I see. I always saw PS5 associated with the 2/70 super not the base 2070 but I was maybe mistaken
The consoles have a larger band of performance than PC GPUs largely as a result of optimization. There probably is an average performance for these consoles to classify them against PC parts, but I'd say that you're going to see the trend of performance be directly correlated with time. The longer the console has been in deployment it tends to push a little further than most expect with some exception cases where you break its back.

2070S or 2080 levels in non or very light RT workloads is reasonable in the vast majority of cases. But the 3070 is comfortably faster than both of those GPU's performing in line with a 2080Ti when not VRAM limited.

With heavy RT the PS5 would be closer to a 2060S or even lower depending on the load.

On the other hand. FF16 is doing this very thing. To the point where they don't even have a day one patch planned. I guess working only on one platform does have benefits
Knowing that your game is going to sell a gazillion units is what has its benefits and why most other developers cant take the same approach.

This has become too problematic an issue in the PC space to treat as a tack-on caveat, which is how it comes across in your statement.

With heavy RT the PS5 would be closer to a 2060S or even lower depending on the load.

Again, if it is memory bound (as many current generation games are moving towards) with 8GB VRAM then no, your statement would be false. Memory hurdle must be satisfied before compute advantage can be leveraged.

It's still a great purchase for emulation esp when you can find them for $200-250 new and sometimes as low as $150 used. Just grab an s and put it into dev mode.

I'd also imagine since the same cpu/gpu is used in both the series and the steam deck and both are very popular with emulation they will get a lot more optimization going forward. The zen stuff was always less developed verse the intel stuff on the emulation side

PS5 is maybe 3070 in TLOU but 2060/2070 normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back