Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Impressive for a small developer. Transitions to and from planets are just a loading screen, however. An animated loading screen, but a loading screen none-the-less. :p It was amusing how impressed that guy was about them. :D

Regards,
SB

He said that the game needed a team and a big budget, it is so easy to say, but it is not a guarantee that will help at all.

Apparently some nice additional to tractor beam.

Ability to truck a lot of missles around does seem bit hazardous, yet might bring some fun manual bomber or such abilities.

AI can be useful and supportive and speed up work massively. But it is actually stupid and cannot create anything new. If you test ChatGPT you only get standard comments and there is a lot of repetition.

What is being tried in Star Citizen is often new. A lot of programming has to be done for the gameplay alone. Very few studios have as many programmers as CIG and yet you can't speed it up everything. 9 Doctors can't bring a child into the world any faster either. In most games the possibilities are very small. Running around and shooting etc.

Last year alone CIG received around 26,000 applications.

Apparently some nice additional to tractor beam.

Ability to truck a lot of missles around does seem bit hazardous, yet might bring some fun manual bomber or such abilities.
I have also seen a player stopping a flying torpedo with the tractor beam.

Last edited:
Alpha 3.19 is out:

Significantly fewer innovations than in 3.18 but much more stable.

As we are in May again the annual free fly Invictus event has started.

In this event you can see all the spaceships on display and borrow them.

CIG created a very small spaceship with extremely short range that can be transported by almost any spaceship with a mini-hangar.

Last edited:
Turbulent joins Cloud Imperium Games

So far they were doing very important work for Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is still a thing? Will it be coming out any time?
Dont expect the persistence universe MMO part to ever get some 'official 1.0 release' or something. All that does is invite a lot more scrutiny with high expectations that almost certainly cant be met in reviews and whatnot. It would also probably undercut their funding efforts as they get more money by keeping it an 'in development' project, selling non-existent ships and whatnot for lots of money and all. So you can consider Star Citizen already 'released' in that sense, as what currently exists is just gonna keep getting slowly(glacially) built on right up until more people snap out of the delusion and stop giving them money, at which point the studio will collapse and need to shrink heavily.

As for Squadron 42, it's embarrassing that we haven't even seen anything of it in a long time, but yes, I expect they'll release it at some point. I'm not sure how good it'll actually be, as I dont really get the impression this studio has any kind of nose for actual good game design.

It kinda destroys your employment history to work for them in programming or game design, only modellers have anything significant to show for their time. In theory they could hire young talent which are both believers in the concept and highly capable, but they will have enthusiasm, which means strong opinions and I doubt there is room for any opinions not from Chris Roberts. Also never getting close to shipping must be pretty devastating for most game developers.

Dont expect the persistence universe MMO part to ever get some 'official 1.0 release' or something. All that does is invite a lot more scrutiny with high expectations that almost certainly cant be met in reviews and whatnot. It would also probably undercut their funding efforts as they get more money by keeping it an 'in development' project, selling non-existent ships and whatnot for lots of money and all. So you can consider Star Citizen already 'released' in that sense, as what currently exists is just gonna keep getting slowly(glacially) built on right up until more people snap out of the delusion and stop giving them money, at which point the studio will collapse and need to shrink heavily.

As for Squadron 42, it's embarrassing that we haven't even seen anything of it in a long time, but yes, I expect they'll release it at some point. I'm not sure how good it'll actually be, as I dont really get the impression this studio has any kind of nose for actual good game design.
But.., but..., "It's never been done before!"...

Look at it this way.
The moment of the inevitable collapse, there will be a free for grabs department in CIG with a value in millions.
Anyone that has a "never done before" project needs one of these.
But your average marketing department can't pull it of like they do!

I wander if I can crowdfund my pre-pre-pre-alpha fusion reactor, that I have in my basement.
I need the money for the electrical bill.

Hey, it's never been done before!
:p

It kinda destroys your employment history to work for them in programming or game design, only modellers have anything significant to show for their time. In theory they could hire young talent which are both believers in the concept and highly capable, but they will have enthusiasm, which means strong opinions and I doubt there is room for any opinions not from Chris Roberts. Also never getting close to shipping must be pretty devastating for most game developers.
At the same time you have a decade of pay where you had to produce very little and the grift keeps going. You could possibly have a 20 year tenure at the company and if you invested and saved for the future you could likely retire after working on star citizen

It kinda destroys your employment history to work for them in programming or game design, only modellers have anything significant to show for their time.

Why do you think this would the case. Why would it matter if you worked on Star Citizen vs League of Legends, Minecraft or Destiny?

Back