Mortal Kombat 1 [PS5, XBSX|S, NX, PC]

I'm sure, and MK11 looked incredible. It's just. UE3?!?!?!?!?

It's UE3 in the same way that UE4 and UE5 are UE3.

They all share the base engine that was UE3, but NetherRealm Studio's fork of UE3 has extensive modifications that make it no longer "really" UE3, just like UE4 and UE5 have had extensive modifications to the engine and thus are not technically UE3 anymore even though parts of both UE4 and UE5 likely still share code with UE3.

Regards,
SB

It's UE3 in the same way that UE4 and UE5 are UE3.

They all share the base engine that was UE3, but NetherRealm Studio's fork of UE3 has extensive modifications that make it no longer "really" UE3, just like UE4 and UE5 have had extensive modifications to the engine and thus are not technically UE3 anymore even though parts of both UE4 and UE5 likely still share code with UE3.

Regards,
SB
Lost you at 'fork' :runaway:

Lost you at 'fork' :runaway:

Just in case... ;)

A fork of a game engine (or code for that matter) is when you take the code (branch it off) and make modifications to it that don't exist in the mainline codebase. For code, it's possible those forks may or may not end up merged back into the main codebase.

So, NRS made extensive modifications to the UE3 codebase which weren't merged back into it.

You can see something similar with the FarCry series which at its base could be said to still be using the original CryEngine, but they renamed it the Dunia Engine because of the extensive modifications they made for their fork of the original CryEngine codebase.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Tldr netherrealms engine is far removed from the ue3 of the 7th gen because they upgraded it to their own liking and added features not in the original code. Every major dev does this to atleast some degree but some go much further than others. Bioshock 1 and 2 were created on unreal engine 2 which is suprising considering they don't look out of place in unreal engine 3 era. Despite ue2 having been created many years prior. That took a lot of custom work. Access to game engine versions and such was a lot harder than now. So it was up to devs to do a lot of heavy lifting themselves

Looking at the jump in quality from 10 to 11 I am very very curious how 1 will look like. Mk11 is still one of the best looking games out there. I am prepared to be blown away. What a year for fighting games holy cow. Sf6 tekken8 and new mortal Kombat. Wow.

Just in case... ;)

A fork of a game engine (or code for that matter) is when you take the code (branch it off) and make modifications to it that don't exist in the mainline codebase. For code, it's possible those forks may or may not end up merged back into the main codebase.

So, NRS made extensive modifications to the UE3 codebase which weren't merged back into it.

You can see something similar with the FarCry series which at its base could be said to still be using the original CryEngine, but they renamed it the Dunia Engine because of the extensive modifications they made for their fork of the original CryEngine codebase.

Regards,
SB

Chris Roberts has done the same with Star citizen. They started with Cryengine , then moved to lumberyard which was amazons fork of cryengine and then made their own version called star engine or something. Of course I think they would have had better luck working with Crytek instead of all of these forks

Looking at the jump in quality from 10 to 11 I am very very curious how 1 will look like. Mk11 is still one of the best looking games out there. I am prepared to be blown away. What a year for fighting games holy cow. Sf6 tekken8 and new mortal Kombat. Wow.
I personally think it's gonna look amazing. But diminishing returns will be there cause mk11 already looked like what I would have expected a PS5 mortal Kombat to look like 😂 so I don't think we will be as impressed. Atleast netherealm is working solely on the PS5 and series x s versions and leaving the switch to a support studio.

I hope they do something about the awful animations. Their last 2 releases have looked incredible but the stiff animations really bring the presentation down a lot.

I hope they do something about the awful animations. Their last 2 releases have looked incredible but the stiff animations really bring the presentation down a lot.

I'm pretty sure the stiff animations are deliberate to still make it feel and play like the Midway Mortal Kombat arcade games (1992-1996). That's always been sort of a hallmark of the series due to how they chose to represent the characters on screen in the arcades (digitized sprites).

It also helps in quickly identifying moves which is a nod towards gameplay over graphics.

I'll be incredibly surprised if they ever chose to abandon that distinctive look.

Regards,
SB

I'm pretty sure the stiff animations are deliberate to still make it feel and play like the Midway Mortal Kombat arcade games (1992-1996). That's always been sort of a hallmark of the series due to how they chose to represent the characters on screen in the arcades (digitized sprites).

It also helps in quickly identifying moves which is a nod towards gameplay over graphics.

I'll be incredibly surprised if they ever chose to abandon that distinctive look.

Regards,
SB
To me it is the gameplay that bothered me. The gameplay is as stiff as its animations and I believe it is correlated. Street Fighter's gameplay is much more responsive and has better flow even though thats also a 2D fighter.

Deliberate or not, there is still a huge room for improvement.

To me it is the gameplay that bothered me. The gameplay is as stiff as its animations and I believe it is correlated. Street Fighter's gameplay is much more responsive and has better flow even though thats also a 2D fighter.

Deliberate or not, there is still a huge room for improvement.
Eh. Mortal Kombat isn't for eSports. It's so successful cause it has good single player offerings, has a lot of nostalgia and the production values are on another level. If they ever try to aim for tournament play in a serious manner they will change to adjust. But their last game sold 15 million so they don't really need to

Eh. Mortal Kombat isn't for eSports. It's so successful cause it has good single player offerings, has a lot of nostalgia and the production values are on another level. If they ever try to aim for tournament play in a serious manner they will change to adjust. But their last game sold 15 million so they don't really need to

In what way is it relevant to my post? The game can still maintain the nostalgia, the content and play better

Back