Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony first party also have a reputation for really pushing the visuals so if they want to continue to have that image they might very well go for 30fps.

I feel it will also depend on upscaling, it could be FSR2 quality mode at 30fps and FSR2 performance mode at 60fps (But using FSR performance mode at 30fps will give them hella lot of power for insane graphics)

Although I'm really shocked we've not seen an ML based upscaler on the consoles by now, especially the Series consoles.

Maybe just you. God of War Ragnarok uses ML TAAU on 1440p base and yields pristine results better than native 4k.

I haven't really closely followed any of this, but the ML part is during the production process and not real time or on console, correct?
I think it's kinda of realtime, If I understood it properly (and there's a very good chance I didn't) the textures are loaded into memory and used if needed while processed in the background then switched over when they are upscaled. They say it takes upto 9.5ms per texture, so it seems a bit high for every texture to be done on the frame budget even at 33ms if more than a couple of new ones are needed at a time.

Is it time to ditch the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU for testing?

It's such a poor performing CPU these days and is getting on a bit.

Most owners have ditched it or moved to a 5600 when the prices dropped.

The point of the analysis is to measure like for like comparison to PS5 so no that wouldn't make sense. And OOF! see PS5 destroys the 2070 Super by 50%. Actually more because 2070 presets are lower than PS5. PS5 is performing at 3080+ level. All thanks to impressive SSD I/O tech.

Screenshot (143).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (142).png
    Screenshot (142).png
    2 MB · Views: 0
The point of the analysis is to measure like for like comparison to PS5 so no that wouldn't make sense. And OOF! see PS5 destroys the 2070 Super by 50%. Actually more because 2070 presets are lower than PS5.

That's a weird way to say you don't know how CPU limitations work.

PS5 is performing at 3080+ level. All thanks to impressive SSD I/O tech.

PS5 in the 60fps mode runs at 1440p and has drops below 60fps, where as a 3080 never drops below 68fps (This is also testing the launch code so it'll be even faster on the 3080 now 😉)

So you sure PS5 is performing at 3080+ levels 👀

Untitled.png

That's a weird way to say you don't know how CPU limitations work.

PS5 in the 60fps mode runs at 1440p and has drops below 60fps, where as a 3080 never drops below 68fps (This is also testing the launch code so it'll be even faster on the 3080 now 😉)

So you sure PS5 is performing at 3080+ levels 👀

View attachment 8920
He’s wrong but that benchmark isn't proof that a 3080 never drops below 68 fps.

The point of the analysis is to measure like for like comparison to PS5 so no that wouldn't make sense. And OOF! see PS5 destroys the 2070 Super by 50%. Actually more because 2070 presets are lower than PS5. PS5 is performing at 3080+ level. All thanks to impressive SSD I/O tech.

View attachment 8918

Surely this is not the kind of post (pure platform warring with zero technical merit) that we want in this forum?

Surely this is not the kind of post (pure platform warring with zero technical merit) that we want in this forum?
I agree. This isn't how engineers in a gamedev post-mortem would be writing. I want points, evidence with sources and links, data-based counterpoints, and respectful politeness all round. Noise generation in this thread right now is past my thresholds and I'll start handing out thread bans if things don't change.

Despite a 24 minute shader compiling process TLoU hasnt compiled every shader variation and uses these load screens to do it. Okay. I think PSOs and co. are a mistake on the PC...

I'm curious about one thing though, what is with the Naughty Dog engine that makes the PS5 perform so remarkably well in relation to PCs? We don't see that with any of their games such as Horizon, God of War, or Returnal. Generally, the PS5 tends to perform better, which is a given, but in TLOUI and Uncharted 4, it performs like a 2080 Ti, which is kind of insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back