Grand Theft Auto VI [GTA 6]: What can we expect?

No way... GTA will probably make good use of the fast storage on consoles and Direct Storage on PC.
GTA V's character switching was impressive on 360/PS3, and it was very slick on PS4/XBO. Rockstar's streaming engine, since they migrated from Renderware, has been industry-leading. There really isn't anything in GTA that demands super high bandwidth I/O, unless they plan to make a hypersonic car/aircraft.

That said, I don't think GTA VI will be cross gen. I think they will target current gen consoles, simply because it will make development easier and the numbers of previous generation console games being sold is now pretty damn low.

You're talking about a company that milked 3 generations of consoles for one product. I'd be surprised if it wasn't past gen and equally surprised if it took advantage of latest technologies.

This would have been in development for many years.

GTA V's character switching was impressive on 360/PS3, and it was very slick on PS4/XBO. Rockstar's streaming engine, since they migrated from Renderware, has been industry-leading. There really isn't anything in GTA that demands super high bandwidth I/O, unless they plan to make a hypersonic car/aircraft.

That said, I don't think GTA VI will be cross gen. I think they will target current gen consoles, simply because it will make development easier and the numbers of previous generation console games being sold is now pretty damn low.

I expect character switch to not be slick at all with current gen assets quality with a HDD. I am not sure if GTA 5 assets were at the same level than RDR 2 character switching would be slick without talking about current gen asset. This is an improved 360/PS3 games on assets side...

You're talking about a company that milked 3 generations of consoles for one product. I'd be surprised if it wasn't past gen and equally surprised if it took advantage of latest technologies.

This would have been in development for many years.

Probably just this generation and the next.

GTA V: PS3, XB360, PS4/Pro, XBO/X, PS5, XBX/S, and PC. Supported 10 platforms in all.
GTA VI: PS5/Pro, XBX/S/Pro, PS6/Pro, XB-Next/Pro, and PC. Potential to support 10 platforms.

It'll be a console exclusive for a year or so like always, why would anyone expect this one to be any difference? It's a huge console seller, even I picked up a 360 to play GTA V instead of waiting for a year.

Probably just this generation and the next.

GTA V: PS3, XB360, PS4/Pro, XBO/X, PS5, XBX/S, and PC. Supported 10 platforms in all.
GTA VI: PS5/Pro, XBX/S/Pro, PS6/Pro, XB-Next/Pro, and PC. Potential to support 10 platforms.
I tend to agree with you, GTA is the game they use to make you buy a console or upgrade your PC. Some of us idiots do both.:p

They don't need to pander to last gen, this is GT-fucking-A! People will go to extremes for any GTA title, even the bad GTAs were pretty good. (I'm looking at you GTA IV without AA, yeah you!)

EDITED BITS: Had some more thoughts, added 'em.

I tend to agree with you, GTA is the game they use to make you buy a console or upgrade your PC. Some of us idiots do both.:p

They don't need to pander to last gen, this is GT-fucking-A! People will go to extremes for any GTA title, even the bad GTAs were pretty good. (I'm looking at you GTA IV without AA, yeah you!)

EDITED BITS: Had some more thoughts, added 'em.

I'm right there with you bud. Big GTA fan. I triple dipped on GTA V (PS3, PS4, and PC).

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make sorry, other than there are other companies that do it, which doesn't change what I think is likely for Take 2 to maximize profits.
I was being a bit faceious with references to Skyrim and The Last of Us but my serious point remains; it is going to be more challenging to deliver a new GTA game on last generation consoles compared to developing for current gen. As time goes on, there are increasing feature disparities between the platforms and the way the publisher will look at this will be is that increased cost/time/effort worth what sales on that platform will bring in.

Game sales on last generation consoles look to be dropping off massively and GTA VI is probably not releasing - at the earliest - for another twelve months during which even more previous generation console owners will have upgraded.

I think it's very possible it's crossgen. Gta5 after all despite the upgrades is still a PS3 and 360 game today.

Going for PS4 and Xbox one tier would still be considered an upgrade. And on top of that their engine is probably built to scale to the current gen regarding certain things.

If their plan is to have this game out next year I sincerely doubt they will have had enough time to research and develop to take full advantage of current gen machines alone.

Of course if I am wrong I'll still be happy

I really hope it's not crossgen. I want to see what Rockstar can do with SSD streaming, more memory and CPU power.

SSD streaming or Non-SSD streaming with a large memory pool, higher detail assets with less pop-in and potentially more dense environments. Non-SSD streaming with large memory pool would in addition have longer initial load times and longer transition (fast travel) load times.

Non-SSD (HDD) streaming with limited memory pool, lower detail assets with more pop-in and possibly less dense environments.

You can always scale down to the latter from the former.

Regards,
SB

I think it's very possible it's crossgen. Gta5 after all despite the upgrades is still a PS3 and 360 game today.

Going for PS4 and Xbox one tier would still be considered an upgrade. And on top of that their engine is probably built to scale to the current gen regarding certain things.

If their plan is to have this game out next year I sincerely doubt they will have had enough time to research and develop to take full advantage of current gen machines alone.

Of course if I am wrong I'll still be happy

Fall 2024 they will have current gen console devkit since nearly 6 years...

Back