LG 27" 1440p 240Hz OLED

this is totally insane, you can even read things you couldn't read otherwise. The motion clarity makes it possible -how I miss my previous 240Hz monitor in that sense-.

Last edited:
@orangpelupa It'll probably make "judder" more visible like an oled does, because it'll have faster pixel response times than a 240 or 360Hz monitor. But if you're gaming at 120+ fps it'll be fine. Honestly, if you're buying a monitor like that, you're turn settings down to medium or low to keep your fps as high as possible and pairing it with a 13700K or 13900K. There are very few modern games that can take advantage of that 500 Hz refresh rate.

And still likely isn't close to a CRT for motion clarity.

It should be getting there. It’s 2ms mprt (motion blur) vs something I’m the range of 1-1.5 for a crt. The 500hz will have some ghosting from gray to gray though. Motion smoothness on the 500Hz will be better for twitchy games. In theory a 1000Hz display should be close to a crt for clarity, or a 500Hz with strobing.

If you want image clarity, it looks like ULMB2 is the way to go. Check the monitors that are getting the firmware update and future monitors coming out.

It should be getting there. It’s 2ms mprt (motion blur) vs something I’m the range of 1-1.5 for a crt. The 500hz will have some ghosting from gray to gray though. Motion smoothness on the 500Hz will be better for twitchy games. In theory a 1000Hz display should be close to a crt for clarity, or a 500Hz with strobing.
Better luck next time (with microLED):
Phosphor-intensity-vs-time-response-for-the-three-phosphors-of-a-typical-CRT-display.png

Better luck next time (with microLED):
Phosphor-intensity-vs-time-response-for-the-three-phosphors-of-a-typical-CRT-display.png
these high refresh LCD-s are severely handicapped without scrolling backlight and ideally it's not just any scroll but line-by-line, not demonstrated until now. It's likely wearable will be fixed before they can even demonstrate line sequential.

...Interesting thought experiment if only vacuum tube was 1-1.5ms persistent we'd have "HDR" for how long now.

Also cutting the output of edge-lit LCD or OLED or LCD+per-line-LED to 1-1.5ms is not really scanning in truest sense to the word because brightness is decimated.

First world's 4K OLED monitor with 240Hz refresh rate. Wish I knew the power consumption of this monitor which is a very important factor for me, but the fact that it has a heatsink might be kinda telling.

Last edited:
First world's 4K OLED monitor with 240Hz refresh rate. Wish I knew the power consumption of this monitor which is a very important factor for me, but the fact that it has a heatsink might be kinda telling.

Cool, but 4k 240Hz is kind of ridiculous. There are going to be very few games that can hit that spec. The utility is a super narrow field of games like Valorant, CS, Fortnite (performance rendering mode), R6 Siege, maybe some 2D games and stuff like that.

Ok, now I want that.
Was planning on replacing my 35' Acer 3440*1440 screen with the Samsung Odyssey 32 inch @ 4k , but this OLED thinggie sounds better

Once you're used to OLED's black levels it's pretty much impossible to go back to a non-OLED monitor.

I dunno, I have a dual monitor setup with a 38" 21:9 IPS monitor and a 50" LG OLED and I would certainly think twice before dropping the wider aspect ratio for the superior OLED image quality. Both have big advantages over the other, it's a shame there is no screen currently that offers both.

I dunno, I have a dual monitor setup with a 38" 21:9 IPS monitor and a 50" LG OLED and I would certainly think twice before dropping the wider aspect ratio for the superior OLED image quality. Both have big advantages over the other, it's a shame there is no screen currently that offers both.
An OLED TV is different than having a monitor I feel due to the distance, games type makes a differnt too as I play a lot of horror games that are dark.

And there's plenty of ultrawide OLED monitors now to choose from, not quite 38" but 34" instead.

Just play in a 21:9 window, the perfect blacks are almost like there's no monitor. :) You should also be able to use a custom 21:9 resolution full screen with "keep aspect ratio" in the drivers.

That should provide a larger and thus wider 21:9 than your 38" display.

Regards,
SB

An OLED TV is different than having a monitor I feel due to the distance, games type makes a differnt too as I play a lot of horror games that are dark.

Yes totally agree. My TV is further away than my monitor so despite the size difference actually ends up feeling quite a bit smaller. Occasionally when I really fancy a drawn out gaming session I'll pull the couch forward to play on the TV. but that's more effort than it's worth most of the time!

And there's plenty of ultrawide OLED monitors now to choose from, not quite 38" but 34" instead.

True, the market has opened up quite a bit since I got this thing. But I couldn't go down in size now so I'll wait for something in the 40"+ ultra wide OLED range to show up before upgrading (which won't be for years yet tbh as I'm still loving this monitor and it cost a bomb).

Just play in a 21:9 window, the perfect blacks are almost like there's no monitor. :) You should also be able to use a custom 21:9 resolution full screen with "keep aspect ratio" in the drivers.

That's what I used to do on my previous 16:9 monitor but it doesn't work for quite a lot of games and also stops DSR from working - or at least it did back then. It also doesn't play nicely with Ambilight which is something else I've come to appreciate.

That said I have occasionally done just that on my OLED in games that support it. Particularly to try out the 32:9 aspect ratio (in RDR2) which was pretty cool.

That should provide a larger and thus wider 21:9 than your 38" display.

True but I also have limited alcove space so this monitor is pushing the limits of that already. I don't have the vertical room for even a 40" 16:9. Reckon I might be able to squeeze in a 42" ultra wide OLED though. One day....

Back