Digitalwanderer

Don't wanna hog thread or anything, but spent roughly an hour and a half or so of the morning at the E.R. today after having what felt like a serious bout of uneven heart rhythm. This combined with a feeling of pressure and dull ache in the center of the chest whenever doing things like walking up hills or a bunch of stairs made me get up and go to the (thankfully quite nearby) hospital.

They made an ECG, the doc listened to my heart, turns out everything's probably OK. ECG was normal, so the ole ticker probably isn't conking out on me... :p I'm getting referred to the local doctor's office for further consultation and perhaps testing, depending on what seems warranted.

So here I am sitting and typing with these funny little stickers on my hands, chest and legs with cable attachments for the ECG machine, hoping if I wait a few days maybe they'll come off easier without pulling quite so badly on my body hair, scaredy cat that I am... :runaway:

They don't hurt coming off THAT bad, quit being a baby. :p (Plus I'm rather lacking in body hair. ;) )

Could I recommend that you get your ass to a cardiologist and have a stress test done? If I had done that before my first heart attack I might have avoided all of these heart problems over the years.

A stress test is just them hooking up more of those sticky things on you and having you run on a treadmill for 10 minutes. I couldn't even make it 6 and when I got off that's when they found one of my heart walls was being strained more than the others...which is how I learned how bad my heart was and got the quadruple bypass before I died.

The stress test really tells them a lot, the EKG just shows if you had a heart attack and how your heart is currently doing while the stress test gives them a lot more information about how it works under full load and such.

Definitely go to your doctor, see what he thinks.

They don't hurt coming off THAT bad, quit being a baby. :p (Plus I'm rather lacking in body hair. ;) )
If you lack it, you don't really know how much it can fricken hurt when stuff like bandaids and surgical tape and whatnot have to come off! :D

Anyway, it seems these sticky things aren't made to be long-term durable; might have something to do with the conductive gel squishing around underneath too, but one popped off that same evening on its own, and then I just went ahead and pulled them all. And yeah, some of them were of the 'clingier persuasion', ghackk!

Could I recommend that you get your ass to a cardiologist and have a stress test done?
Yes, I am definitely going to do that, it's one of the things I'll speak to the doc about as soon as my referral thing goes through the papermill. (Also, Swedish healthcare system is chronically overworked these days so I don't know how long this'll take. Fuck those fucking neoliberals and conservatives and their tax break policies!!!)

...Anyway, I also think maybe there's a bit of a psychological factor at work here, becuase I went up a really steep hill today - well yesterday now - in search of clip-on EMI-absorbing ferrite beads for my new rig, and I didn't feel a thing. I was winded when I got up top, sure, but no feelings of discomfort as such.

Maybe I was obsessing over something that may or may not have actually been there, and enlarged that feeling in my mind. I dunno. Still, I'll do the treadmill thing for sure. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice! :)

So here I am sitting and typing with these funny little stickers on my hands, chest and legs with cable attachments for the ECG machine, hoping if I wait a few days maybe they'll come off easier without pulling quite so badly on my body hair, scaredy cat that I am... :runaway:

If you want to remove something sticky from your skin, use Baby oil (that's what it's commonly called in the UK). Also known as mineral oil. If the sticky thing is an absorbent material, it'll soak through and then lift off quite easily. If it's something that the oil can't travel through, rubbing it along the edge, peeling it off a little and then repeating works.

Mineral oil breaks down a lot of medical adhesives. 3-4 times a week I have to detach sticky stuff that's designed to stay on for up to 2 weeks at a time, and if it's being stubborn, the oil does the trick.

Hah. I'm NOT smearing food on my skin, that's for sure! I don't have any such kinks. :D

(A few others perhaps, but not gonna mention 'em... :p)

Diggie is going through quadruple bypass surgery right now. He should be out and in recovery in a few hours if everything goes well. His wife is posting FB udpates, so fingers crossed that everything goes well for him.
I can never remember the exact day, thanks again for posting up about it. I can always find out here, B3D's got great search.

Three years and a lifetime ago today, damn! :D

Heh. This thread came up when I was hunting up vehicle repair threads of mine. Heart update: contrary to popular opinion I do still have one. Recently got a new cardiologist because reasons and they ran me through a gamut of radioactive stress tests and blood work. Good news, I'm healthy! No more blood thinners and I've been exercising for a few months and am trying to be more active again. If nothing else my lawn and house are getting a bit tidier every day. Still not smoking tobacco and am glad to get a clean bill of health and be back under normal cardiological care. :)

And then I got my very first colonoscopy at age 57, which you're supposed to get at age 50 and if I had I wouldn't need the surgery I'm going in for on August 1st. Good news is it's not colon cancer, they caught it in plenty of time. Bad news is if they don't operate it will become colon cancer and that's a not good, so the surgery is on. Getting a collectomy, they're removing some big polyps they couldn't get in the colonoscopy. I figured it'd be a out patient surgery but it looks like it's not. It's a 5-7 day hospital stay and then 1 month where I'm not allowed to lift more than 10lbs and have to take it easy the whole time.

Not whining or even looking for sympathy, it's just I use this thread to keep track of my major medical stuff now so I figured best to post it here. After the colostomy I get more serious about the neuropathy caused by the nasty condition of my lumbar, 'specially L4. <sigh>

Big love, good news is my old friend I worked with at Portillos from 10 years ago is one of the heads of maintenance at the hospital I'll be staying at so I'll have some great company to catch up with. Also the hospital that's only a 13 minute drive from home, win/win.

Sounds very familiar.

Xmas 2021/22 started pooping blood (bright red, that's not good people don't do that).
May 2022 got a referral.
July/August 2022 went through a couple of colonoscopies that reveal and aggressive polyp. Started as benign, then stage 1, then stage 2 carcinoma.
October 2022 had a TAMIS procedure to remove the cancerous polyp (I'd named it Jacob, after Jacob Rees-Mogg, the cancerous growth on the arsehole of humanity).
Jan/Feb 2023 Chemo and radiotherapy. Apparently this worked up to a point but the consultants can't be 100% sure there's no residual cancer, so...
~August 2023 APER surgery. Basically remove lower third/quarter of colon, all of my rectum & anus, stitch my bum up and I'll be side-pooping into a bag (which I'm going to name Nigel, after that unwanted cling-on bag of shit Nigel Farage).

Advice is 7-10 days in hospital, ~3 months recovery if things go well. Also like you watch out for hernias forever.

Good luck old chap, see you on the other side!

Sounds very familiar.

Xmas 2021/22 started pooping blood (bright red, that's not good people don't do that).
May 2022 got a referral.
July/August 2022 went through a couple of colonoscopies that reveal and aggressive polyp. Started as benign, then stage 1, then stage 2 carcinoma.
October 2022 had a TAMIS procedure to remove the cancerous polyp (I'd named it Jacob, after Jacob Rees-Mogg, the cancerous growth on the arsehole of humanity).
Jan/Feb 2023 Chemo and radiotherapy. Apparently this worked up to a point but the consultants can't be 100% sure there's no residual cancer, so...
~August 2023 APER surgery. Basically remove lower third/quarter of colon, all of my rectum & anus, stitch my bum up and I'll be side-pooping into a bag (which I'm going to name Nigel, after that unwanted cling-on bag of shit Nigel Farage).

Advice is 7-10 days in hospital, ~3 months recovery if things go well. Also like you watch out for hernias forever.

Good luck old chap, see you on the other side!
I only have a .3% chance of needing a poop bag, sounds like I would have been going through what you're going through if I hadn't caught it earlier. Best of luck, I'll be rooting for you! :love:

What does your diet consist of? This is a condition that was built up by something for a long time.
Did the doctor tell you the possible causes?

Yeah. They asked if I ate a lot of red meat and not a lot of vegetables, which is accurate. Nothing against vegetables, I just like meat for quick and easy protein.

I've been eating a lot more chicken and veggies the last few years though, but that's because I cook for my family and my wife picks the menu. I don't pick the color, I just paint the walls.

I asked my consultant what causes polyps, she said it's not well understood. There's some evidence that it is genetic / hereditary, possibly some environmental causes.

The thinking is that all GI cancers start as polyps, but not all polyps become cancerous.

And then I got my very first colonoscopy at age 57, which you're supposed to get at age 50 and if I had I wouldn't need the surgery I'm going in for on August 1st. Good news is it's not colon cancer, they caught it in plenty of time. Bad news is if they don't operate it will become colon cancer and that's a not good, so the surgery is on. Getting a collectomy, they're removing some big polyps they couldn't get in the colonoscopy. I figured it'd be a out patient surgery but it looks like it's not. It's a 5-7 day hospital stay and then 1 month where I'm not allowed to lift more than 10lbs and have to take it easy the whole time.

Not whining or even looking for sympathy, it's just I use this thread to keep track of my major medical stuff now so I figured best to post it here. After the colostomy I get more serious about the neuropathy caused by the nasty condition of my lumbar, 'specially L4. <sigh>

Big love, good news is my old friend I worked with at Portillos from 10 years ago is one of the heads of maintenance at the hospital I'll be staying at so I'll have some great company to catch up with. Also the hospital that's only a 13 minute drive from home, win/win.
I hope everything goes well with the surgery.

I am turning 42 and I am a t2 diabetic so I am speeding up some tests like a calcium level test . I also spoke with my doctor and at 45 I will be getting a colonoscopy.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Yeah. They asked if I ate a lot of red meat and not a lot of vegetables, which is accurate. Nothing against vegetables, I just like meat for quick and easy protein.

I've been eating a lot more chicken and veggies the last few years though, but that's because I cook for my family and my wife picks the menu. I don't pick the color, I just paint the walls.
If you also eat sugary and processed foods (including processed drinks) avoid those at all costs.
Unless you are doing intensive muscle exercise, huge protein intake is a waste or resources.
For vegetables, a combination of plant foods contain more than enough protein. Quinoa is also amazing to add in your diet and is a complete source of protein. Important: choose unprocessed, natural ones. Plant based processed or treated (like mini carrots and packaged french fries) are equally as bad and often worse than eating meat.
Add a 30min exercise for different muscle group each day. Doesnt need to be sophisticated and doesnt need machines. Its amazing how many exercises you can do at home for free using just your own body.

I wish you get well soon

Last edited:
I hope everything goes well with the surgery.

I am turning 42 and I am a t2 diabetic so I am speeding up some tests like a calcium level test . I also spoke with my doctor and at 45 I will be getting a colonoscopy.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Have you tried the super low-calorie diet to attempt to reverse the diabetes? Seems it can work for a lot of people, even if it would be tough to stick to it for a few months.

Have you tried the super low-calorie diet to attempt to reverse the diabetes? Seems it can work for a lot of people, even if it would be tough to stick to it for a few months.
I've lost 60lbs and my A1C is between a 6-7 while when I first found out it was a 13.1.... Normal people are 4-5.6 and 5.7-6.4 is pre diabetic. My goal is less than a 7 so I am right in here depending on the check up.

Right now I am on a low carb diet since carbs easily spike me. I have cut down calories a lot , the issue is if I reduce to far in calories my sugar will dip below 70 and when I tried doing a 1800 calorie diet it slipped to 30 and I woke up in the hospital a day later luckly. So I'm walking as much as possible and started adding weight lifting.

You can't reverse diabetes. Anyone who says the reversed it are really just controlling it by having a lower body fat % and eating less carbs. if they ever gain weight back or start eating carb heavy food the sugar issues will come right back.

Back