Movie Reviews 2.0

Given the number of kids who own a Switch (and the number of adults who own one or had an N64/GameCube/Wii/Wii-U), it probably shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that the movie has done well at the box office!

nintendo consoles and games are only available thru grey market channels in my region, and the theatre was packed. the movie is simply that good IMO. The trailers are fun, the movie is fun.

seems there's a disconnect between the professional critics and common people.

Fall (2022)

I really like these types of single room/scene situation movies that have a basic premise but execute so damn well on every beat. The setup for the characters isn't groundbreaking, but serves the purpose well and provides the emotional context for some scenes without being filler. It also ensures both setup and use of the relationships aren't overdone, getting you into the meat of the film in good time.

The situation itself and the means to try to resolve it were grounded enough that I never felt like there were stupid decisions nor completely unrealistic. In fact I was surprised to find myself thinking of ways to get out of the situation with their available resources then the writer followed through with those. No real use of coincidence nor luck to justify lazy writing. Just brilliant.

To quote The Critical Drinker:
As a viewer, there's nothing worse than realizing you're way smarter than the characters in the story who make completely irrational decisions or fail to see obvious solutions to their predicament so that the rest of the plot can happen. Fortunately, that never really happens here.

8/10

Fall (2022)

I really like these types of single room/scene situation movies that have a basic premise but execute so damn well on every beat. The setup for the characters isn't groundbreaking, but serves the purpose well and provides the emotional context for some scenes without being filler. It also ensures both setup and use of the relationships aren't overdone, getting you into the meat of the film in good time.

The situation itself and the means to try to resolve it were grounded enough that I never felt like there were stupid decisions nor completely unrealistic. In fact I was surprised to find myself thinking of ways to get out of the situation with their available resources then the writer followed through with those. No real use of coincidence nor luck to justify lazy writing. Just brilliant.

To quote The Critical Drinker:

8/10

Did they suddenly remember that they actually got a sat phone? And then when they turned it on, they can't send sms because they forgot to pay for the subs...

Isn't cage dead?

No, but I do wish he'd retire. And his entire back catalogue be nuked from orbit.

For some irrational reason I really can't stand the guy. The best movie he's never made would be one where his character dies within ten seconds of the opening credits of some embarrassing mishap, and is never spoken of again.

Lord of War was really good, or at least thats my memory of it, been meaning to go back and watch it.
Otherwise yeah not a fan of Nick Cage, though he's been in so goddamn much stuff that statistically at least a few of them have to be decent.

Last edited:
watched interstellar again...

anyone have any idea why they go down to the water planet despite only receiving initial survey signal? why no suspicion of the signal only the initial survey signal? (probably just the 1st thumbs up, or even worse, just initial signal of successful landing)

although to be fair, the character does gets angry that the scientist made this mistake...

Last edited:

anyone have any idea why they go down to the water planet despite only receiving initial survey signal? why no suspicion of the signal only the initial survey signal? (probably just the 1st thumbs up, or even worse, just initial signal of successful landing)

although to be fair, the character does gets angry that the scientist made this mistake...
Time Dilation.

Yeah you need to watch more Pitch Meeting videos on YouTube.

Producer guy: "Why do they do that?"
Script-writer guy: "Because!"
Producer guy: "That works!"
Super easy, barely an inconvenience!

It was the closest/most convenient/fastest to survey.

Back