Xbox 360 and PS3 top graphics

Btw did someone mention Killzone 2? That game was simply amazing. 3 was also impressive but the color palette was strange and lack of muzzle flash kind of ruined it.
I mentioned kz3. I liked that kz3 was much more colorful as kz2 looked too similar between areas imo. But besides art style preferences they both looked great graphically

I always thought Ryse looked amazing and it was a launch title

Here it is on the xbox one

and here it is maxed out on a rtx 4090 and ryzen 7 5800x

Also quantum break

xbox one

and a ryzen 9 7950x with rtx 4090

I'd love a sequel to both.

edit - just reread the title and I'm an idiot lol

For xbox 360 I have to nominate Viva pinata
I played Quantum Break on PC the other day and it looked very much like a high-end raster game which could have been released in 2019 as well. Very impressive. However, all the recorded cutscenes were very annoying.

Ryse I thought was very good too but SW Battlefront 2015 Endor surpasses Ryse on PC in my opinion. Crytek should had also reduced the large HUD. It damaged the aesthetics a bit.

However, this should be in an Xbox One PlayStation 4 thread.

Last edited:
I'm going to pick a 360 title everyone will agree on...Crackdown!
I don't know if you are serious or joking. :)
AMD's first generation PC GPU DX11 tessellation performance on was abysmal so I could only imagine how bad 360's was given then the 2 year difference in release time.
In 2 years there was only DX10 GPUs
If you were to put games in distinct categories though (like weight classes in combat sports) we could divide them in order of technical complexity created by scope/scale/freedom like this:

-2D games (mostly hand-crafted art);
-Fighting games;
-2.5D platformers and top down games (3d graphis with very constrained/predictable cameras);
-Free roam linear 3D games and racers;
-Open World games;
-Free roam Space Sims;
-Roy (full simulation of the universe in VR)
I agree. If we take games by type then GTA 5 is best in that category.
On the PlayStation 3 I found Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, RDR, GTA IV and GTA V to be the most impressive technically.
You are right, but I try to know everyone's opinion about number 1 game. And because of that almost in all game series next game was with better graphics overal. GTA 4 and RDR was great for time they released, but later on they was surpassed by next game.

Also why no one mentioned Resistance 3 and Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus. Those were games with great graphics and I even think graphics in Resistance 3 was better than in Killzone 3. RAtchet games were 60 fps, and with great graphics and phisics for so high fps.

Also why no one mentioned Resistance 3 and Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus. Those were games with great graphics and I even think graphics in Resistance 3 was better than in Killzone 3. RAtchet games were 60 fps, and with great graphics and phisics for so high fps.

R&C Into the Nexus was 30 fps. Damm you Mike Acton! I'm glad you got fired!

when I first saw Gears of War 2 I couldn’t believe how good it looked. It was a shock how good it looked and how good it ran compared to first one. Tomb raider reboot was super impressive as well. Other than that mw2 the sniper scene in the trailer. Wow. That was something. And of course God of war 3. Jaw dropping.

On PS3 the most impressive titles are GoW3 and TLOU. TLOU notoriously makes the fan scream like hell and even kills the hardware!

On X360 The Gears games and MGS5 are all impressive. MGS5 for X360 because the game is running much better than on PS3. Because of this I always thought X360 was the slightly superior hardware when both were used really properly, here by Kojima team.

Never really played GTA5 on those consoles though.

On X360 The Gears games and MGS5 are all impressive.

I'm surprised it took so long for MGS5 to appear in the thread. It's probably the biggest game with physically based textures of the PS360 era, prior to it becoming ubiquitous in the PS4bone gen.

In terms of looks, it maybe looses out by the main environment being a little sparse. The character design, hardware and animation are typically Kojima teams' cut above the rest.

I'm sure there's other more technical stuff I've forgotten about that could be mentioned too.

I'm surprised it took so long for MGS5 to appear in the thread. It's probably the biggest game with physically based textures of the PS360 era, prior to it becoming ubiquitous in the PS4bone gen.

In terms of looks, it maybe looses out by the main environment being a little sparse. The character design, hardware and animation are typically Kojima teams' cut above the rest.

I'm sure there's other more technical stuff I've forgotten about that could be mentioned too.

That was my second place, after GTAV, which has the same characteristics you aplauded.

I guess I'm a sucker technical choices thar offer solid universal solutions that solve many problems at once and prioritize consistency over case-by-case hand-adjustments.

Tlous graphics were overrated on PS3 I feel. It had nice art style but maybe people were thinking the cutscenes were real time when they are actually just video files. They used 4 ps3s connected together as the renderfarm iirc

I think it was parly due to psychology or how mind works.

People's mind blends the cutscenes and the gameplay into one when they try to remember back.

Usually Japan games that exploit that. Amazing cutscene visuals, crappy gameplay visuals. Anime also exploit this trick very often (usually good looking animation are in less than 5 minutes total, but people remember the whole episode as good looking)

But people remember the game as looking amazing.

I have to mention Mirror's Edge, cool concept, meticulous environments with beautifully realised baked GI. It was really unique.
The art style was amazing. I had never seen anything like it. The neon colors and high contrast made it very visually distinct, the clash of white and every other color made it a real next gen experience. I don't know about advanced graphics or asset detail but it used it's visual style to extreme effect

MGS5 is a 2015 game. Physically based textures were already become ubiquitous with the launch of the PS4/XBOne generation, two years before.
I don't know if it is admirible that the engine is able to use it on PS3, but in absolute terms, they were hardly anything new.

MGS5 is a 2015 game. Physically based textures were already become ubiquitous with the launch of the PS4/XBOne generation, two years before.
I don't know if it is admirible that the engine is able to use it on PS3, but in absolute terms, they were hardly anything new.

The timeline was clearly very wonky in my head. I've always imagined it as close to PS4Bone releases. I'm going to pretend Ground Zeros was before release. Failing that, pretending that Fox engine demos were.

MGS5 for X360 because the game is running much better than on PS3.
For sure?
I have to mention Mirror's Edge, cool concept, meticulous environments with beautifully realised baked GI. It was really unique.
Wasn't pre-baked GI also in Gears of War 3, Gears of War Judgement and in Uncharted 3?
Castlevania lords of Shadow was also outstanding
Agree. I think graphics in that game was almost on same level with GoW 3.
Physically based textures were already become ubiquitous with the launch of the PS4/XBOne generation, two years before.
Thwere really was physically based textures on Xbox 360 and PS3? If yes this still great because for 7th gen consoles that was great achievement.

Also one video for everyone.

Back