Musk bought Twitter, what hasn't gone wrong?

So pay per 240 characters? Is an article restricted to same limitations as a tweet?

It's long been argued that we'd all be better off if social media apps were fincanced through user subscription fees instead of ad revene. It creates bad incentives. But Musk is going about it in the most cowardly, neither-here-nor-there, random willy-nilly way possible it almosts poisons the well of moving other platforms to payed subscription model.

Despite his attempts to present as a bold decision man, he is often very indecisive.

Despite his attempts to present as a bold decision man, he is often very indecisive.

Absolutely. It's mildly amusing seeing so much waffling being done on just about every single decision.

Absolutely. It's mildly amusing seeing so much waffling being done on just about every single decision.

It kind of a trend with twitter addicts. Trump and the past Brazilian president were similar. They'd propose the most ludicrous policies on twitter first, see how the public reacted, and either follow through or walk back depending on the public response.

Such a insecure and reputation ruining way to do things.

That’s a really odd choice of policy. You’d think that allowing people to at least see some content on twitter might encourage them to sign up to see what they’re missing out on. Now they don’t even get the teaser.

It’s like news sites not even allowing you to see the headlines without a login. I can’t even see what you’re selling, so I won’t be buying from you.

That’s a really odd choice of policy. You’d think that allowing people to at least see some content on twitter might encourage them to sign up to see what they’re missing out on. Now they don’t even get the teaser.

It’s like news sites not even allowing you to see the headlines without a login. I can’t even see what you’re selling, so I won’t be buying from you.

Twitter decisions look like panic driven to me. Both under Musk and the new CEO. Facebook Meta (eyeroll) has been acting barely better in the past year too.

Elon Musk is a lightning rod for bad business ideas.

I am super pleased that Meta have released Threads. Whilst I now avoid big social media, when Twitter killed third party apps I went to Mastodon to stay in touch with the parts of the internet I am interested in and now use the Ivory app on iOS. Whilst the app is great, Mastodon has been slow to gain traction but one Threads eases into the fediverse, that will be a solved problem.

The first privilege is the freedom of speech. The second privilege is the public nature & credibility of Twitter. Twitter doesn't have an intolerant policy like Meta. Other platforms cannot replace it.

I really can't make a better joke than reality

I really can't make a better joke than reality

The presence of Taliban on twitter was a long standing source of accusations of double standards by pre-musk twitter criticisms. As such, I don't expect many of the pro content-moderation folk to point at them right now because they know that would make them look hypocritical for turning a blind eye to it years prior.

As an outise observer, it does feel like the moderation decisions ib most platforms are heavely biased to the political optics of their company's country and region of origin. (usually silicon valley)

Angry american incels mocking fat people online? That is violence! Everybody hates incels. Specially if they are upper middle class white boys in confortable suburban lifestyles. No-brainer.

Radical Muslim Terrorist group deffending tribal wars? Uhhh, gosh darn it... Will it look xenophobic if we do anything to them? I don't want our platform to look like a bush-era musim hating redneck... They are brown people afterall... I dont wanna be seen as to be "punching down"

Of course, its the moderator's San Fran friends that would see that as punching down. I bet the guy who actually lives in the middle east being controlled with iron fists by such a terrorist group does not see the group that CONTROLS THEIR CITY as an "opressed minority".

But the 30-something moderator would need to have a world-view informed by more than tired hollywoodian tropes, art-house film-school shorts and Harry Potter to imagine thar point of view.

Musk claim to make twitter less biased was an utter failure, but to pretend now that it never had biases in the first place is wishful ignorance. As I said, federated platforms is the way. If Zucker stand by his promise to federatw threads, he'll be a hero. But if the rappid adoption manages to retain active usage, I don't see him as bellow as breaking that promise. Him chosing to say that itself is already a step in the right direction. It shows the importance of de-centralization, and interoperability has become a mainstream concern.

Last edited:
Wow, the new logo and name is just brilliant:
1690196707407.png
It's like Space-X, just without telling something.

X.com. Simple and brilliant.
Only Elon the mastermind can come up with such inspiring name. Though, for his daughter he tried a bit harder, lol.

I dare to predict X or former twitter is dead within 5 years. Goodbye screenshotsaturday. : (

Back