Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
stay tuned, this marvel might be coming soon.

Return_Of_Rome.png

More info on Steam:

never played this game, but it's in a new DF Retro episode so it was probably good

Reminded me of ther era of bad PC ports released with missing or wrongly rendered graphics: Enter The Matrix, Turok Evolution, Halo. But Resident Evil 4 PC port of 2007 easily takes the cake, horrendous port: no mouse support, simplified geometry, lighting is missing completely, as well as dynamic physics (water, shaking trees, fog .. etc) and depth of field, real time cut scenes are gone too! Horrible Horrible port.

Reminded me of ther era of bad PC ports released with missing or wrongly rendered graphics: Enter The Matrix, Turok Evolution, Halo. But Resident Evil 4 PC port of 2007 easily takes the cake, horrendous port: no mouse support, simplified geometry, lighting is missing completely, as well as dynamic physics (water, shaking trees, fog .. etc) and depth of field, real time cut scenes are gone too! Horrible Horrible port.
that's why I purchased a friend's GC, to play the RE4 -and F-Zero GX-.

On a different note....

I was expecting Sega's Last Survivor to at least be mentioned, which did a similar 3D maze made out of sprites a few years earlier, but no.

I kinda feel when hardware companies were creating consoles, they didn't give any consideration whatsoever to the software side and what devs would need to do, pilingin the processors and the buses assuming More == Better. It's only within a couple of generations they've realised just chucking in hardware doesn't add performance or functionality if the software can't use it. Although we still see proprietary hardware features going largely unused.

Custom hardware is very interesting, but not very efficient. ;)

I kinda feel when hardware companies were creating consoles, they didn't give any consideration whatsoever to the software side and what devs would need to do, pilingin the processors and the buses assuming More == Better. It's only within a couple of generations they've realised just chucking in hardware doesn't add performance or functionality if the software can't use it.
This is definitely the case for PlayStation home consoles, Mark Cerny stated that PS4 was the first time Sony sought input from game developers on what they wanted in terms of hardware.

Hey @Dictator you did a retro analysis of Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon Zwei but you never did one for Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Also how about an analysis of the rail shooter scene on the PS1, which didnt get like a game that was up to the standards of the Panzer Dragoon series until Omega Boost in 1999?
That game was a technical masterpiece for PS1 in many ways, exhibiting a large amount of transparencies, particles and reflections. The animation and fluidity was also amazing, with a very well thought pacing.
It is amazing how Omega Boost expanded beyond Panzer Dragoon's innovation on the rails shooting scene with the 3D camera rotation, solving many of the limitations of other rails shooters where you could only shoot objects in front of you (like Space Harrier and Star Fox).
Omega Boost have set a standard that other mech games could use, leading up to another innovative game with its gameplay approach which probably got inspired by Omega Boost, Zone of the Enders.

Looks great, but man - even though it's not crippling, shader stutter in a game with an 8-year dev cycle, and one that was primarily for and done by PC developers is ridiculous. Really hope they patch in a precompile stage.
The game was rebooted and the actual game you get was not in development for 8 years.

this Doom's wad, My House, went viral as of recently, and I don't know why, but I've seen it first like a month ago when a popular female streamed it on youtube. She is more of a typical console, basic PC gamer, but she was playing that mod and that got my attention. And now this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back