Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry but 648p in performance mode for these graphics? Absolutely embarrassing from respawn. It’s been a while since I’ve seen incompetence on this level.
60fps is not the target though. 30fps mode seems like what they were aiming for

I’m sorry but 648p in performance mode for these graphics? Absolutely embarrassing from respawn. It’s been a while since I’ve seen incompetence on this level.

This is the only game using RTGI and RT Reflection with this level of geometry and texture on current gen console. I am sure they will add a non raytracing 60 fps mode with good performance and probably better internal resolution.

60fps is not the target though. 30fps mode seems like what they were aiming for
People keep saying this, but there is a performance mode clearly intended to hit 60fps. And the supposed intended mode according to some doesn't run well at all either?

So my question is, where is the proof

People keep saying this, but there is a performance mode clearly intended to hit 60fps. And the supposed intended mode according to some doesn't run well at all either?

So my question is, where is the proof

They choose the wrong strategy for 60 fps mode. It was simple quality mode with RT and performance mode without RT like on Series S. I am sure they will add another performance mode without RT.

They choose the wrong strategy for 60 fps mode. It was simple quality mode with RT and performance mode without RT like on Series S. I am sure they will add another performance mode without RT.

Maybe for the XSX as it shares the same development environment with the PC and the XSS but the PS5 doesn't have an non-RT mode so why would that port have non-RT assets to fall back on.

Maybe for the XSX as it shares the same development environment with the PC and the XSS but the PS5 doesn't have an non-RT mode so why would that port have non-RT assets to fall back on.

This is the same asset just different lighting. Or ig they need some light maps. This is not very difficult to transfer the asset to PS5.

This is the only game using RTGI and RT Reflection with this level of geometry and texture on current gen console. I am sure they will add a non raytracing 60 fps mode with good performance and probably better internal resolution.
I don’t know that RTGI was necessary at all. They could have just used baked GI. Again, to me, I don’t think this is a GPU issue at all. It’s looks to be a skill issue/decision making issue.

I said yesterday that I hadn’t seen incompetence at this level in a while only to awake and see screenshots of redfall. This might be a tad hyperbolic but, surely there are PS360 games that look better. Maybe not IQ wise but in general graphics. Can’t wait for DF to take a look at it.

I don’t know that RTGI was necessary at all. They could have just used baked GI. Again, to me, I don’t think this is a GPU issue at all. It’s looks to be a skill issue/decision making issue.

I said yesterday that I hadn’t seen incompetence at this level in a while only to awake and see screenshots of redfall. This might be a tad hyperbolic but, surely there are PS360 games that look better. Maybe not IQ wise but in general graphics. Can’t wait for DF to take a look at it.

Redfall does not look like a PS360 game. I could see Xbox One, with the exception of the foliage. There are quite a few leaves on the trees etc. I think it has a lot more geometry than an Xbox One game would.

Redfall does not look like a PS360 game. I could see Xbox One, with the exception of the foliage. There are quite a few leaves on the trees etc. I think it has a lot more geometry than an Xbox One game would.
Maybe, but if I remember back to Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse Son of Rome, I don't think Redfall looks better. To me, it's a game that's less that the sum of it's parts.

what do you mean with "these graphics", the game looks really good. Tech wise is pushing stuff that nobody else is doing with this level of geometry and this fidelity with RT on. Its far from incompetence and even further from embarrassing.

what do you mean with "these graphics", the game looks really good. Tech wise is pushing stuff that nobody else is doing with this level of geometry and this fidelity with RT on. Its far from incompetence and even further from embarrassing.
That's your opinion and it's one I certainly don't agree with which is fine. We can agree to disagree. For me, there's no point in ticking of technology check boxes to produce a game that doesn't stand out head and shoulders above the rest which it doesn't. The worst part about it is that it delivers graphics on par with other next gen games while blessing us with a glorious 20fps. To me, the game is thoroughly unimpressive for it's inability to intelligently maximize the resources of each platform. When I think back to other technical marvels like rockstar getting GTA 5 running on the PS360 or dice with Battlefield 3 on the PS360, I can sit there and say yes, the poor performance is justified.

RTGI and RT Reflections are just some of the many tools available to developers. What sets apart the best developers from the mediocre ones are the intelligent use of technologies and tools to deliver a final product that is greater than the sum of it's parts. Nothing I've seen from Respawn's Jedi Survivor impresses me remotely. It's been there, done that kind of vibes.

Looks like a Source 1 engine game. I would say its visuals straddle the line between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One generations. This would fit right in as an early gen title at Xbox One launch.

There simply is no x360 game that can look better than Jedi Survivor. Daresay it looks better than most peak 8th gen titles. I can, at least, personally say this game looks better than RDR2+TLOU2 in terms of enviromental graphics. Characters and cutscenes are on par with TLOU Remake almost. It's a visually impressive title for me.

There simply is no x360 game that can look better than Jedi Survivor. Daresay it looks better than most peak 8th gen titles. I can, at least, personally say this game looks better than RDR2+TLOU2 in terms of enviromental graphics. Characters and cutscenes are on par with TLOU Remake almost. It's a visually impressive title for me.
No one was talking about Jedi Survivor looking like a 360 game, we were talking about Redfall. Also, Jedi survivor has very bad gameplay animations.

I think Jedi Survivor looks fantastic, Redfall is confusing looking to me. I think it looks worse than Dishonoured 2 or Prey in many respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back