The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I mentioned this last year and Picard S3 gave further confirmation. Doug Aarniokoski either is given the best scribblings of current Trek writers to direct, or he actually has some sort of mandate of selecting the writers/editing the script for his episodes. After his 2 episodes, things started feeling wrong just like with previous season.

I've also realized that Jonathan Frakes directing Trek is not a good sign. Some people apparently have liked episode 3 but... No.

I mentioned this last year and Picard S3 gave further confirmation. Doug Aarniokoski either is given the best scribblings of current Trek writers to direct, or he actually has some sort of mandate of selecting the writers/editing the script for his episodes. After his 2 episodes, things started feeling wrong just like with previous season.

I've also realized that Jonathan Frakes directing Trek is not a good sign. Some people apparently have liked episode 3 but... No.

I thought it was pretty good overall but with some pretty obvious flaws, e.g. overexplaining/dumbing down.

The Sisko help me I actually enjoyed Ep4. o_O
I'll even go so far as to say a good editor & a few re-shoots could cut out the S1-2 references/characters & make one of the better Trek movies out of Ep1-4.
It'd still be because the bits left are based on the good bits of other movies but ya know, its the good bits...

They put out an unofficial pic of what happened with the Titan
the-two-titans-during-the-refit-process-by-john-eaves-v0-31ftiu2xurma1.jpg

So their line is that Titan proper got badly damaged and instead of repairing it they took some key parts out of it like warp coils and put them in the new hull -> refit Titan A.
Which as a comment I saw put it 'makes as much sense as building a 747 using some parts from a Concorde & calling it a refit Concorde.' 🤔

Last of us continues to be pretty excellent, though as several reviews point out: there is a general lack of Zombie/mushrooms, apparently several key bits of the plot otherwise well done were interrupted & parts of what happens driven by having to fight off motile fungi.

Mandalorian maybe just because of Andor outshining it but their plot ways of getting to where they seem to be going is pretty trite & forced.
For those who didn't watch Bobafett, the situation with new ship & baby yoda would be super confusing

Meanwhile the animated Bad Batch which I thought was ok but not outstanding in S1 has been running a pretty impressively gritty 'what happened to the Clone troopers &, where did Stormtroopers come from' plot in S2 (y)

I thought it was pretty good overall but with some pretty obvious flaws, e.g. overexplaining/dumbing down.
Without the chatismatic characters it would have been Discovery level IMO. Ooh, let's make one episode of ridiculous hide and seek in nebula so the characters can really pour out their feelings and anxiety.

They put out an unofficial pic of what happened with the Titan
the-two-titans-during-the-refit-process-by-john-eaves-v0-31ftiu2xurma1.jpg

So their line is that Titan proper got badly damaged and instead of repairing it they took some key parts out of it like warp coils and put them in the new hull -> refit Titan A.
Which as a comment I saw put it 'makes as much sense as building a 747 using some parts from a Concorde & calling it a refit Concorde.' 🤔

In fairness they called it the refit Titan and not the refit Lunar class. I think the above helps to make some sense of the situation even though it's very much stretching the limits of believability. It's still better than just about any other alternative explanation though.

Of course, it doesn't help at all in explaining why the "new" ship looks so old or is so outclassed by what is seemingly a pirate ship.

One possible explanation though could be that the new Titan was essentially a kitbash of older ships (of which Lunar class Titan was just one) mixed with a smattering of modern tech.

I know I'm reaching too much on this, but damn, I want Start Trek to make sense again!

I know I'm reaching too much on this, but damn, I want Start Trek to make sense again!
Ironically the intentionally nonsense Lower Decks is actually the most sensible & logical of the post Enterprise/Nemesis content.

For this ship the easy way of fixing the issue is: Call it something the heck other than Titan. Tada, fixed.
Still totally nonsense to be a Refit era shaped & detailed ship.

Sure, Refit era has the magnificent form & proportion that newer ships don't generally have & I'm not really a huge fan of the ST Online style continuation of the E style queues everywhere.

The fix for that is to give a quality team the opportunity to make that much desired post-TMP/lost era show. IMO the Lower Decks crew are worthy, certainly the only real candidate unless they could get in the Expanse or Orville team.
On the other hand, even a great show set there collapses a lot of imagination probability field -> may just be better to leave that legendary era for our head canon.

I don't follow awards stuff but Pedro Pascal better be winning some good stuff, he's been great in Mandalorian despite mostly not showing his face & really great in Last of Us.

I was never into the whole 'Mandalorians are super bad-ass' bit but Mandalorians are too fucking stupid not to have been wiped out entirely during the old republic or something :nope:
This season took 6 episodes out of 8 to get back to where it was looking like it should start at based on the end of the previous season & its got there mostly by the dumbest possible route.

I definitely still have major issues with it but 2nd half of Picard has continued to be mostly pretty good. If only it didn't have the baggage of the complete trash that was Season 1 & 2 🤔

I definitely still have major issues with it but 2nd half of Picard has continued to be mostly pretty good. If only it didn't have the baggage of the complete trash that was Season 1 & 2 🤔
IMO it's just continuous fanservice layered on top of the same stupidities as before. Luckily they finally got rid of the giggling old hag, I felt already like watching 10-hour extended edition of Nemesis. Perhaps it can slightly improve for the finale, but I'm sure they will try to milk every last nostalgia drop.

Well frankly the entire reason I'm watching a Startrek show called Picard is for fanservice really 🤷‍♂️
S1 & 2 didn't understand that & made it for a target audience of people who don't give a shit about Startrek or Captain Picard for Cisko knows what reason 🤦‍♂️

But definitely a lot of the same idiocy eg
Raffy fighting changelings using swords :nope: & this stupid fleet formation nonsense

Raffy fighting changelings using swords :nope: & this stupid fleet formation nonsense

Yeah they were both total WTF moments, especially that pretty laughable first one.

The writing quality is clearly average at best, but the fan service is spot on, and of course the main characters are still great. Add in some good effects and a half decent storyline and I'm certainly enjoying it. But only really as an epilogue to TNG as opposed to a stand alone series.

Back