Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1uv95a.JPG

why do they keep pushing games like this, last of us just went through this a few weeks ago

Man, their mouse/keyboard implementation is trully from the middle ages. The previous game also had negative mouse acceleration which they never fixed. This one does as well. Panning the camera with the mouse feels like the camera is decoupled from the mouse movement and its on a rubber band. You move the mouse and after a few microseconds the camera follows your command. And it doesnt stop cold when you stop the mouse, it deccelerates for a bit. lmao They're completely simulating stick movement on m\kb.

There was also a pic at the start that controller is recommended for best experience. And since this should never actually be true if m/kb is implemented well, its usually a sign somethings messed up. And the way they designed the menus, oh my god. You need to use a mix of mouse and keyboard to navigate the menus and change options. You need to hit enter to apply any option, it doesnt register you clicking the button. When you change various settings, you click with the mouse on the option, you use A and D to change the values then you hit Enter to apply. Sweet jesus, the team at Respawn who made this game has never played a pc game in their lives

What do you guys think about the new Armor Core’s graphics from the latest trailer?
The GI looks plain and lacking details to me, and light leaking (local light + indirect specular) seems to severe.
Almost feel like a mobile game if the geometry density is lower.

Man, their mouse/keyboard implementation is trully from the middle ages. The previous game also had negative mouse acceleration which they never fixed. This one does as well. Panning the camera with the mouse feels like the camera is decoupled from the mouse movement and its on a rubber band. You move the mouse and after a few microseconds the camera follows your command. And it doesnt stop cold when you stop the mouse, it deccelerates for a bit. lmao They're completely simulating stick movement on m\kb.

There was also a pic at the start that controller is recommended for best experience. And since this should never actually be true if m/kb is implemented well, its usually a sign somethings messed up. And the way they designed the menus, oh my god. You need to use a mix of mouse and keyboard to navigate the menus and change options. You need to hit enter to apply any option, it doesnt register you clicking the button. When you change various settings, you click with the mouse on the option, you use A and D to change the values then you hit Enter to apply. Sweet jesus, the team at Respawn who made this game has never played a pc game in their lives
The m KB implementation in the menu is awful

I tried my best...

7jrg3n.jpg

I loved the meme :LOL: (y)

On a serious note though, i think it depends on the definition of 'don't need any more' though. In a linear game like TLOU for example you play and area, then move on, and will not revisit that area again without starting a new game. In that case, absolutely release the VRAM. But in a game like Survivor where I understand there is an element of open world, and you can travel back to previously visited locations, then I'd say it's better to keep that already loaded data in VRAM, even if it's no-where near the current play zone provided there is spare capacity in VRAM. It should just be flagged as low priority for replacement with more relevant data when the likelihood of needing that data increases.

I don't think it's a good idea to free up VRAM of data that's not currently (or going to be imminently) in use though if it can potentially be used at some point, just for the sake of creating more free VRAM. As you should just be able to copy over it (I assume?) when needed. Or is there a penalty involved in overwriting existing data vs writing to empty VRAM?

I loved the meme :LOL: (y)

On a serious note though, i think it depends on the definition of 'don't need any more' though. In a linear game like TLOU for example you play and area, then move on, and will not revisit that area again without starting a new game. In that case, absolutely release the VRAM. But in a game like Survivor where I understand there is an element of open world, and you can travel back to previously visited locations, then I'd say it's better to keep that already loaded data in VRAM, even if it's no-where near the current play zone provided there is spare capacity in VRAM. It should just be flagged as low priority for replacement with more relevant data when the likelihood of needing that data increases.

I don't think it's a good idea to free up VRAM of data that's not currently (or going to be imminently) in use though if it can potentially be used at some point, just for the sake of creating more free VRAM. As you should just be able to copy over it (I assume?) when needed. Or is there a penalty involved in overwriting existing data vs writing to empty VRAM?
Well I guess we will see more of such problematic titles in the future. Dx12 & Vulcan come at the cost that the developers have to implement the resource management and therefore get much more freedom to use the hardware more optimal.
But if this isn't implemented correctly something like this will happen.
"Great power comes with great responsibility" ;)

But you need an intelligent VRAM management system for that. When you dont get rid of VRAM, how do you know which can be replaced?! And if you know it, you dont need all these VRAM at all. Nixxes talked about it. Respawn has done nothing, they are just filling the VRAM and then let Windows doing the work...

Again, stop talking rubbish. You're the one seemingly trying to stoke a vendor war with your original claim that I was trying to "protect the image of the 4090" with an entirely factual statement about CPU vs GPU limitations, and then again bringing it up above. Vendor has nothing to do with the technical observation I made so stop trying to turn it into something it isn't.

Good, because it has literally nothing to do with the statement I made. Why are you even bringing it up?

That is literally exactly what some reviewers are doing when they make statements like "a 7900XTX can't even hold 60 fps in this game" when the game itself is clearly limited by the CPU rather than the GPU. That is by definition a statement about the GPU's capabilities. I'm not pointing at one specific instance here, you see this kind of thing regularly and I'm simply saying reviewers should be more specific and not blame the GPU when the CPU is the actual issue. I don't understand why you're even debating this point. It seems like you're just arguing for the sake of it.

No, my argument is about technical accuracy. If you're on this forum you should care about it. And as to your claim that no-one is blaming the GPU here, about 5 seconds of googling brought up plenty of such references, these were just the first couple I clicked on:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-jedi-survivor/nvidia-rtx-4090-1440p-performance - that's an article specifically stating that the 4090, a GPU than can handle CB2077 path tracing can't handle this game. That's literally the exact opposite of what you say above no-one will think, and it's not just some random forum post, it's an actual published article.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1774580/discussions/0/3828665650624552269/?ctp=1 - Post about the 4090 not being able to run this game properly "you'll just have to turn some settings down"

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1774580/discussions/0/3828665650623892099/ - post about how the 4090 can't handle RT in this game - despite the fact that the evidential screenshots clearly show the GPU underutilised in both scenes and that RT increases CPU load as well as just GPU load.

The net is absolutely awash with uninformed views like this, fuelled by exactly the reviewer practices I'm arguing against above. So no, it's not pedantic, or nitpicking, it's a very real spread of faulty information. If that doesn't concern you, then maybe you'd be better off frequenting the forums I linked above where the bar for accurate information is obviously a lot lower.
Hiding under the defence of technical accuracy is very laughable as I believe we had reached consensus on the potential source of the problem prior to your pedantic arguments. Again, we were discussing the technical merits of the game here then you brought the opinion of non-technical sources into discussion. What does the accuracy of the opinion of non-technical sources have to do with a technical discussion going on at Beyond3D? The only thing from pcgamesn that is relevant to this discussion is the data they provide. If we discussing the correctness of their data, that’s one thing. Discussing the correctness of their opinion is just completely irrelevant.

Secondly, you claim you want to stop misinformation yet instead of addressing it at the source like on steam forums, pcgamesN article chat, or YouTube, you’re bringing it up in the place that it has the least relevance. Last I checked and I may be wrong but, the thread title is “Current gen game analysis ….”. If you want to discuss the merits of PCGamesN articles then perhaps a new thread is needed? It could be called “The value of PCGamesN articles”.

Like I said, I called out your argument because it makes no logical sense. If you’re trying to fix a problem, you go to the source not some irrelevant location. Complaining about the inaccuracy of pcgamesn opinion or steam reviews on beyond3d is just pedantic because you’re complaining for complaining sake.

Hiding under the defence of technical accuracy is very laughable as I believe we had reached consensus on the potential source of the problem prior to your pedantic arguments. Again, we were discussing the technical merits of the game here then you brought the opinion of non-technical sources into discussion. What does the accuracy of the opinion of non-technical sources have to do with a technical discussion going on at Beyond3D? The only thing from pcgamesn that is relevant to this discussion is the data they provide. If we discussing the correctness of their data, that’s one thing. Discussing the correctness of their opinion is just completely irrelevant.

Secondly, you claim you want to stop misinformation yet instead of addressing it at the source like on steam forums, pcgamesN article chat, or YouTube, you’re bringing it up in the place that it has the least relevance. Last I checked and I may be wrong but, the thread title is “Current gen game analysis ….”. If you want to discuss the merits of PCGamesN articles then perhaps a new thread is needed? It could be called “The value of PCGamesN articles”.

Like I said, I called out your argument because it makes no logical sense. If you’re trying to fix a problem, you go to the source not some irrelevant location. Complaining about the inaccuracy of pcgamesn opinion or steam reviews on beyond3d is just pedantic because you’re complaining for complaining sake.

Lol, I do wish you could see how ridiculous this argument is. I made a comment, in the "Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion" thread that I wish reviewers would be more accurate in their analysis of current gen games with regards to the identification of CPU vs GPU bottlenecks.

The original comment was entirely in keeping with the thread topic and not directed at any specific site or forum in particular (although it was prompted by an earlier video review posted in this thread). I only posted examples of such behavior because for some reason my initial comment triggered you in such a way to seemingly set you on this ill-conceived crusade to "prove wrong" my displeasure at this factual reporting inaccuracy.

Maybe you really did take my original comment to be some kind of "protection of my favorite GPU's honor" or something crazy like that. And if you're triggered by that kind of thing then so be it. And even though I immediately clarified that my comment was entirely GPU/vendor agnostic, I get that you want to save face by not backing down, but man, this is just silly, and entirely off topic at this point. So let's just agree to not derail the thread any further with it. (y)

Lol, I do wish you could see how ridiculous this argument is. I made a comment, in the "Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion" thread that I wish reviewers would be more accurate in their analysis of current gen games with regards to the identification of CPU vs GPU bottlenecks.

The original comment was entirely in keeping with the thread topic and not directed at any specific site or forum in particular (although it was prompted by an earlier video review posted in this thread). I only posted examples of such behavior because for some reason my initial comment triggered you in such a way to seemingly set you on this ill-conceived crusade to "prove wrong" my displeasure at this factual reporting inaccuracy.

Maybe you really did take my original comment to be some kind of "protection of my favorite GPU's honor" or something crazy like that. And if you're triggered by that kind of thing then so be it. And even though I immediately clarified that my comment was entirely GPU/vendor agnostic, I get that you want to save face by not backing down, but man, this is just silly, and entirely off topic at this point. So let's just agree to not derail the thread any further with it. (y)

I do agree that this discussion is trivial but don't do that my guy. Don't re-write history. It's poor form and I was never the one who escalated this at all. The first thing I said to you was this:
It doesn't really matter if its being caused by cpu limitations as the statement is still true. From what I've seen in different reviews, it doesn't matter what CPU you have, you're still going to be cpu limited.
It's a pretty harmless statement. That statement is also a confirmed fact and not even remotely debatable but some how, you managed to contest it and now we're here. I'm not interested in saving face my guy. I really don't care what anyone on here thinks. Just don't try to spin this on me. The only blame I take in this is continuing to engage but, I've learned.

So, i can play Cyberpunk with Pathtracing and DLSS quality with over 60FPS.
Or i play Jedi Survivor with Raytracing and 60FPS because Raytracing is so badly implemented that i lose 1/3 of my frames while the implementation runs to 99% over my CPU...

Something is terrible wrong with these console ports.

I do agree that this discussion is trivial but don't do that my guy. Don't re-write history. It's poor form and I was never the one who escalated this at all. The first thing I said to you was this:

It's a pretty harmless statement. That statement is also a confirmed fact and not even remotely debatable but some how, you managed to contest it and now we're here. I'm not interested in saving face my guy. I really don't care what anyone on here thinks. Just don't try to spin this on me. The only blame I take in this is continuing to engage but, I've learned.

Hey if you want to define "escalated" as me politely explaining why blaming the performance issues on the GPU when it's actually a CPU bottleneck does matter - with a real world (albeit extreme to clearly illustrate the point) example of how doing so could misinform the buying decisions of consumers, then you have right at it.

We'll just ignore the fact that in your response to me you dismissed that example as irrelevant on the basis that it wouldn't apply to many people (despite the example actually being transferrable to a much wider audience which I'm quite happy to explain further if you need me to), and then accused me of trying to "protect the 4090's image". Perhaps we just define escalation differently?

This is hilarious, it is literally bottlenecking a 1060 at medium settings with a fairly basic scene at absurdly low framerates. What the hell?

Think this is the king now, dethroned Arkham Knight at Launch, TLOU and Gotham Knights easily as the worst port ever. Congrats?

Really as this keeps happening it's amazing now how highly I regard WB games decision now to pull AK from sale, it was extremely principled in retrospect.

Edit: lol one activation at a time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back