ASUS ROG Ally, twice the power of the Steam Deck. 120Hz, 500 nits.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
20234321152651_1.jpg

6CFkh5zFVNQjrgmxQhZ5iX-1920-80.jpg.webp

Asus says the ROG Ally has a customized AMD Ryzen chip which it claims is the fastest AMD APU yet. The ROG Ally has a “high-performance” display and is compatible with the ROG XG Mobile, which is Asus’ mobile GPU. YouTuber Dave2D(opens in new tab), who went hands-on with the device, says he believes Asus' claims about the handheld's powerful performance.

Along the top, you’ll find power and volume buttons, a PCIe port to connect to the XG Mobile, a USB-C port and a headphone jack. There are also more air vents up top. Lastly, there are two buttons on the handheld’s back and more air vents.

According to Dave2D, the ROG Ally measures 11.0 x 4.4 x 0.5 inches and weighs 1.3 pounds. In contrast, the Steam Deck measures 11.73 x 4.60 x 1.93 inches and weighs 1.5 pounds. Overall, Asus' handheld is smaller and weighs less than the Steam Deck.

The ROG Ally has a 7-inch display 120Hz 16:9 display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Asus says it can hit 500 nits of brightness.

And no mention of battery life, or lack of it.

Linus Tech Tips are giving it a go here. It can run at 50 Watts (obviously lower power modes available), so don't expect battery life to be that great for the performance offered.

I hope this accelerates SteamOS and Proton as an alternative to Windows (for no other reason than I am on Mac and we can't have shiny gaming things apparently).

If true it will give the series s a run for its money

650$ from a company gaining no revenue stream from it other than initial sales while using 4nm APUs, nah.

650$ from a company gaining no revenue stream from it other than initial sales while using 4nm APUs, nah.

That's for the lowest spec according to rumors.

That’s because while ASUS has yet to reveal official pricing, I’m expecting the Ally to cost at least $800, which is twice the price of a base Steam Deck. Instead, it seems like the Ally is a better version of the Ayaneo 2. Not only is it more powerful, its software feels more polished and with ASUS being a significantly larger company I’m hoping the Ally will come with better customer support too.

of course , steam deck is already over a year old. Next year we will see new handhelds that are even better than the rog ally. The year after even better.

Makes even more sense when you consider the original 3 month delay to the deck pushing it out of 2021.

The Ally looks really nice and depending on its price i'd likely recommend someone go for it over a deck. The base $400 deck with a $160 2TB upgrade may still be worth while for some however depending on the ROG price. I'm happy with the deck and will likely wait for zen 5/ rdna 4 at this point.

not interested in a portable device, but a mini PC i could link to my TV for less than 400 would be appealing
There are plenty of those on AliExpress. Tons of reviews of them on ServeTheHome. Granted they don't have the gaming chops due to graphics.

not interested in a portable device, but a mini PC i could link to my TV for less than 400 would be appealing

I mean that is a steam deck. Just connect it to your tv and use a bluetooth controller

or you can grab something like this . Ryzen 7 7735HS zen 3 8 core / 16 thread , Radeon 6800M (RDNA 2 12CU 2200mhz)

With the current rumors of the 8000 series apu being on par with a 3060 it might be smart to wait for the end of the year however.

Back