Sony Game Studios Acquisitions and Divestitures

Another Sony acquisition where you say "Who?" and have to google what games the company have been involved in.

Effectively by owning Bungie and Firewalk studios, they have the original Bungie.
Not even close. As various senior folks from Bungie have said at industry events the company was pretty consistent prior to the year 2000 acquisition by Microsoft, after which much management began to erode which is not uncommon of the root and file of the video games industry, which is incredibly transitory.

Only one (Jason Jones) of the two founders of Bungie is still with the company under Sony ownership. The other co-founder (Alex Seropian) left during Microsoft's ownership. When you drill down to OG Bungie's senior managers, it's much the same. Bungie lost a lot of key people under Microsoft's ownership.

That’s a studio made up of former ex-Bungie.

Effectively by owning Bungie and Firewalk studios, they have the original Bungie.
I think personally this is a better per dollar spend than ABK. At least wrt shooters. Bungie understands combat design and that’s a critical part of shooting games. I’ve yet to see another game where you really feel the impact of the guns you shoot.

It’s sort of weird that so many companies skimp on this, it’s a shooting game where we spend all of our time shooting, so much focus should be placed on how it feels to shoot something.

Even if true regarding staff, unless Sony blend them back into one different studio, it's two teams and not one Bungie 2.

I can only presume what Firewalk has shown to Sony behind closed doors has impressed so much that Sony have gone all in. And/or ProbablyMonsters is strapped for cash operating three studios that haven't any products making money and this is something of a bail-out for them?

They're at $450 million investment funding. Head count was 230 in 2021 and plans on 50% headcount growth per annum. Three games are a multiplayer shooter, published by Sony, developed by Firewalk and now acquired; single player AAA game; and online coop RPG. The quick transition of Firewalk from ProbablyMonsters to Sony is weird, especially if operating under ProbablyMonsters' umbrella still. A change of hands and exchange of money with no material change to the company?

And/or ProbablyMonsters is strapped for cash operating three studios that haven't any products making money and this is something of a bail-out for them?

That's my take on all these foundling studios. They hit the point of the startup life cycle where they need cash infusion to survive. The only thing they have to offer for the amount of money they need to continue is ownership.

Even if true regarding staff, unless Sony blend them back into one different studio, it's two teams and not one Bungie 2.

I can only presume what Firewalk has shown to Sony behind closed doors has impressed so much that Sony have gone all in. And/or ProbablyMonsters is strapped for cash operating three studios that haven't any products making money and this is something of a bail-out for them?

They're at $450 million investment funding. Head count was 230 in 2021 and plans on 50% headcount growth per annum. Three games are a multiplayer shooter, published by Sony, developed by Firewalk and now acquired; single player AAA game; and online coop RPG. The quick transition of Firewalk from ProbablyMonsters to Sony is weird, especially if operating under ProbablyMonsters' umbrella still. A change of hands and exchange of money with no material change to the company?
The new Bungie sort of speak, still has that MMO style experience. From a technical perspective Bungie new is great.

If they’re looking for innovation and story old Bungie is still there; so separating or kept together may still work out for Sony since they can have Bungie assist on a variety of titles a bit like how all Ubisoft studios will work together on a title without needing to be the lead studio.

So... Potentially playstation will be the console for indies and AA games, rather than Nintendo Switch....

The new Bungie sort of speak, still has that MMO style experience. From a technical perspective Bungie new is great.

If they’re looking for innovation and story old Bungie is still there; so separating or kept together may still work out for Sony since they can have Bungie assist on a variety of titles a bit like how all Ubisoft studios will work together on a title without needing to be the lead studio.
Bungie already got overwhelmed with destiny 2 development. Lightfall dlc and it's season has been dubbed as "anime filler episodes" by the community due to how obviously low quality it is.

Surely they will be stretched far too thin of they also helping other studios.

The irony is Lightfall is one of my most played Destiny expansions ever, and looking at the player counts D2 is most popular right now than almost ever. There is so much content to engage with, gameplay is stellar, builcrafting is easy and produced incredible variations, and somehow they managed to create brand new [Strand] class that is so fun to play, unique, and even balanced.

Lightfall was not planned expansion, they wanted to go from Witch Queen to Final Shape, but then they unexpectedly added Lightfall in between. Bungie is a big team, but most likely they are stretched a bit thin with all projects they have active. The "last" D2 expansion that they probablty want to make as impressive as possible, mobile game, big new IP, and even some rumored Marathon-like/MP extraction project.

As for other Sony acquisitions, I'm not expecting any big moves from them in 2023 ["2nd party" Deviation is most likely]. Most of their focus will probably go in big marketing deals for 3rd party games. They've struck gold with Hogwarts, and then they got burned on Suicide Squad that that got a big delay just weeks after its big State of Play presentation.

I started playing Destiny again, but I am still at Forsaken :)

Will see how long it takes to get up to the latest expansion...

I started playing Destiny again, but I am still at Forsaken :)

Will see how long it takes to get up to the latest expansion...
After forsaken,
I recommend you to play lightfall DLC and get the new green Spiderman subclass first before playing witch Queen DLC.

The community suspected the green Spiderman was supposed to be originally included in witch Queen dlc. And it does make the level design in witch Queen dlc made much more sense, gameplay wise.

I think these guys are noticing where the market is heading after seeing what Tencent, Embracer and MS are aiming for.
We are likely heading towards a market that is defined by content owners and not platforms.

Tencent and embracer atleast don't have financial incentive to lock their games to a specific ecosystem based on hw...Sony Ms and Nintendo do. In addition does tencent and embracer even have cloud services?

Regardless, as long as they go for relatively small purchases they won't be stopped from doing so. Which is still bad for us in the long run considering consolidation in general, but hopefully the incentive to lock to your own platform remains somewhat low.

Tencent and embracer atleast don't have financial incentive to lock their games to a specific ecosystem based on hw...
Yet. In ten years time that could be different and they'd have a natural strong advantage there.

Your not wrong. But I don't think they would be looking at hw but the emerging cloud market?
Which is sorta hardware, just ones they deploy in the datacenters, but yeah, not consumer owned HW. 🤷‍♂️

Back