Any fan of Tower Defense games here? I mean games like Defense Grid or the wonderful unrepeatable Bloons TD6.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
If you have any suggestions for a game of the genre, great.

In the thread's title I mention two of my favorites. They are easy games to learn, but then it is your mind that must work to overcome certain challenges. More than having extra mental agility -a plus but not mandatory-, since the game can be paused or it pauses itself between hordes, you must think calmly. What type of "tower" to use and where -very important-, what upgrades to prioritize, hero (if the game has one) or special skill, etc.

Defense Grid was the game that made me fall in love with the genre. I learnt about the genre pretty late, about 2014. It's a good game, although not the best, in my opinion. But it's a lot of fun. There are stages where you can complete just using a single type of tower, which is cool, but in that sense, Bloons TD6 is much better outlined.

Bloons TD6 is awesome overall. You can spend hours and hours playing and you don't realize the passage of time. It's Tower Defense almost made perfection. It can give you thousands of hours of fun. And unlike Defense Grid, it's important to use more than one type of unit here.

It is a game that can be played very well in windowed mode, and graphics wise, it's a very nice game. It is a game that can be played with a touchscreen, or a mouse. It might be harder with a controller, but I don't know.

Video titled "Bloons Tower Defense 6 - The 1,000 Hour Review! (Best Tower Defense Ever!)":

I have the Windows Store version, which works very nicely in windowed mode, and even in full-screen mode the taskbar shows at the very bottom if you scroll the mouse to the very bottom of the screen.

Last edited:
Defender's Quest is still probably my all time favorite TD game.

Anomaly Warzone Earth is a fun reverse TD game. The other ones in the series (Anomaly: Korea and Anomaly 2) are pretty good also, including one where you play as the Aliens (Anomaly Defenders) which is more of the classic TD style.

The Creeper World games are also a very interesting take on TD.

Regards,
SB

Defender's Quest is still probably my all time favorite TD game.

Anomaly Warzone Earth is a fun reverse TD game. The other ones in the series (Anomaly: Korea and Anomaly 2) are pretty good also, including one where you play as the Aliens (Anomaly Defenders) which is more of the classic TD style.

The Creeper World games are also a very interesting take on TD.

Regards,
SB
Defender's Quest is a game I was on the brink of purchasing the other day. I am going to get it after reading your post, which gives me some more context. I was attracted by the art style, but still not sure 'cos I wanted coop too, but the genre doesn't have many coop games. Either that or coop is only online.

Thanks for the other recommendations too. What I am looking for is mostly typical TD games. Another interesting game I discovered today is Infinitode 2, and it's free on Steam, which is a plus. It has simple graphics, but it's a classic TD, and a very addictive one.

Last edited:
Defense Grid is by far my favorite Tower Defense. Bloons TD is by far my son's favorite.

Defense Grid is by far my favorite Tower Defense. Bloons TD is by far my son's favorite.
Defense Grid has some really good details, like the heat map, and the campaign with a variety of conditions to win, it adds lots of replayability.

As for Bloons TD 6, now that you mention it, the only thing I miss is that it lacks local coop. It is an excellent game to play with a kid, like my nephews, but I can't.

I shall probably get Defender's Quest soon.

I got Sanctum 2 today, a game recommended by a colleague. It is a very good Tower Defense game and it also has local coop. At first I wasn't sure because looking at the trailers, it seemed to me that the game focuses a lot on the first-person camera, when in fact what interests me the most about Tower Defense games is the tactics. I think I'm going to have a great time with Sanctum 2, alone or in coop -to play with my nephews-, and being able to place the towers like in any Tower Defense game, and help them with your character in first-person mode when the hordes come to try to alleviate the situation for your towers.

Last edited:
does any of you have experience with Orcs Must Die series? Orc Must Die 3 has online/local coop and I read several times that it is a masterpiece. It is a Tower Defense game, but like Sanctum 2, I am not sure how it works, because the videos I've watched of the game show mostly a 3rd person view camera -which I prefer over a fps view, but still, I am not sure how the game works-, and I wonder how the tactical side of the game works.

Surely everyone must have played the Kingdom Rush series by Ironhide Game Studios.
hmmm, not me actually. After I read your post I opened the store page of Kingdom Rush on Steam and what I liked the most, and consider a highlight of the game -ratings aside-, is how the units stats are shown, and most specially, which seems unique to me, is that units move in a "3D" space on the path, at different speeds and sides, but fact is they don't move linearly. Pretty interesting concept if you ask me that I haven't experienced yet. That certainly stood out to me when it comes to this game.

Last edited:
I love TD games. Defense Grid is the obvious gold standard in the genre, but I do have a couple suggestions.

Royal Defense
Solid entry, reminds me a bit more of the older Warcraft 3 mods than more modern TD games. I got it for free in a promo from Indigala years ago, and it goes on sale on Steam for about $1 fairly often, so I picked it up there as well.

Warstone TD
Another solid TD game. Good art and a good progression system. It also has really light system requirements. I have an old windows tablet with a quad core Intel Atom and 1GB of ram that ran this game at playable framerates

Also, if anyone wants to play the older Bloons games, they are available on Steam in the Ninja Kiwi Archive. It's free, and includes most if not all of their flash games.

I love TD games. Defense Grid is the obvious gold standard in the genre, but I do have a couple suggestions.

Royal Defense
Solid entry, reminds me a bit more of the older Warcraft 3 mods than more modern TD games. I got it for free in a promo from Indigala years ago, and it goes on sale on Steam for about $1 fairly often, so I picked it up there as well.

Warstone TD
Another solid TD game. Good art and a good progression system. It also has really light system requirements. I have an old windows tablet with a quad core Intel Atom and 1GB of ram that ran this game at playable framerates

Also, if anyone wants to play the older Bloons games, they are available on Steam in the Ninja Kiwi Archive. It's free, and includes most if not all of their flash games.
thanks for the recommendations. They both look very appealing. If I got to choose, I'd go with Royal Defense, I like the art style a lot, even if I am not into Warcraft games. I added the game to my wishlist since I have plenty of TD games to play now. I got Orcs Must Die 3 along with Sanctum 2, to play with my nephews, and I am planning on getting Defender's Quest, and Kingdom Rush.

does any of you have experience with Orcs Must Die series? Orc Must Die 3 has online/local coop and I read several times that it is a masterpiece. It is a Tower Defense game, but like Sanctum 2, I am not sure how it works, because the videos I've watched of the game show mostly a 3rd person view camera -which I prefer over a fps view, but still, I am not sure how the game works-, and I wonder how the tactical side of the game works.

A little late since you already got it, but Orcs Must Die series focuses a bit more on combat with the defenses mostly just assisting. Earlier levels and easier difficulty levels you can sometimes build strong enough defenses that you don't have to fight much, but later in the game you'll be doing a lot of fighting.

Also, since you have Santum, Super Sanctum TD is a 2D standard tower defense game based on the Sanctum game. It's pretty good.

Regards,
SB

A little late since you already got it, but Orcs Must Die series focuses a bit more on combat with the defenses mostly just assisting. Earlier levels and easier difficulty levels you can sometimes build strong enough defenses that you don't have to fight much, but later in the game you'll be doing a lot of fighting.

Also, since you have Santum, Super Sanctum TD is a 2D standard tower defense game based on the Sanctum game. It's pretty good.

Regards,
SB
yup, it's a bit late already.... I am going to play it with my nephews -which are used to gamepads, the game has full controller support-, and see how it goes. I wonder if I am going to like it, 'cos for me TD is more about a zenith camera and check the action from above most of the time.

I got Kingdom Rush Vengeance and Royal Defense -loved the art style and music- for now. Next is going to be Defender's Quest, so I am going to have enough TD games for years to come, along with other games suggested in this thread that I don't have for now but I wishlisted already.

Last edited:
yup, it's a bit late already.... I am going to play it with my nephews -which are used to gamepads, the game has full controller support-, and see how it goes. I wonder if I am going to like it, 'cos for me TD is more about a zenith camera and check the action from above most of the time.

I got Kingdom Rush Vengeance and Royal Defense -loved the art style and music- for now. Next is going to be Defender's Quest, so I am going to have enough TD games for years to come, along with other games suggested in this thread that I don't have for now but I wishlisted already.

If you end up liking Orc's Must Die and Sanctum then another TD like those with co-op play is Dungeon Defenders which also has RPG character progression.

Also, the second one...

They are lots of fun with friends.

The newest one Dungeon Defenders: Awakened isn't quite as good as the older ones, but it's OK also.

Another fun co-op TD but with a traditional top down view with Diablo style combat is Deathtrap, there's also RPG character progression.

Regards,
SB

If you end up liking Orc's Must Die and Sanctum then another TD like those with co-op play is Dungeon Defenders which also has RPG character progression.

Also, the second one...

They are lots of fun with friends.

The newest one Dungeon Defenders: Awakened isn't quite as good as the older ones, but it's OK also.

Another fun co-op TD but with a traditional top down view with Diablo style combat is Deathtrap, there's also RPG character progression.

Regards,
SB
thanks for the suggestions. Out of those, I got Dungeon Defenders because it is the only version with Remote Play Together -or Remote Play on TV- (I find this concept confusing, they could call it local co-op). Basically, it has local co-op, so I can play it with my nephews.

In regards to Orcs Must Die, I played enough to watch the intro and get into the tutorial, but it was late I didn't even play said tutorial. From the little I played, the game seems to work well with a controller, although I used the mouse, and you can place the traps almost anywhere. Also the camera seems to be a far 3rd person camera for the entire match.

I haven't played Sanctum 2 yet, but I think it's more like my style of TD game.

As for Deathtrap, I put it on my wishlist. I'd swear I have a very very similar game, back in my Xbox One Fat days. But I can't remember the name. The art style is almost the same, and it was one of my last console games, I purchased it in 2014 or 2015.

Kingdom Rush Vengeance is the game I played the most yesterday. It's not as complete as Bloons TD 6 but it has better music. What I miss in the game is a way to accelerate the pace between hordes of enemies. The game is super engaging, and it has a bit of everything, you have your tower units, and you also have your hero. I've never played a DOTA 2 style game and I wonder if DOTA or League of Legends come from TD games?

It's my first time playing a TD game with a hero.

some impressions, after trying some of the games.

Sanctum 2, I am not liking the game tbh. The first person camera gets on my nerves for this type of game, and you don't have much visibility. It feels like you are playing Halo and not a TD game :/ . Totally disliked it. Maybe once I get the game slightly better and with some time I am going to see the good things, but for now it doesn't do it for me.

Also I didn't see an option for local coop to play with my nephews, unless I am missing something. It looks like the typical Unreal game of 2010-2011, which means not so good textures nor lighting, with a excess of shadows and stuff that doesn't look good.

Kingdom Rush Vengeance. With this one and Bloons TD 6 you are in for a treat. It's a challenging and fun game, that gets you hooked after a few minutes. You can play this game for hours and you might think it was just a few minutes.

Orcs Must Die 3, I haven't played the tutorial yet, but the camera is palatable and it might be fun.

Dungeon Defenders, I still don't get the game, because I haven't tried much. I just got it running and checked how it looks/feels. It might be fun as a TD, but I still don't know how to place a tower. Looks promising to play with another person in local coop.

Royal Defense, a decent game. I played it for almost 2 hours. For now, I wouldn't recommend it. The game is too simple and not very engaging. The towers sound powerless, and the animation quality is quite poor.

Royal Defense, a decent game. I played it for almost 2 hours. For now, I wouldn't recommend it. The game is too simple and not very engaging. The towers sound powerless, and the animation quality is quite poor.
Meanwhile...

Attachments

• Royal Defense 4_22_2023 8_53_49 PM.png
    Royal Defense 4_22_2023 8_53_49 PM.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
Meanwhile...
darn, that's some serious stuff. Totally pro. I am still in the 5th stage of the game where you get the bombard towers, and for now the game has its ups and downs, although it is well done.

The game is fun. I don't play a game 2 hours if I don't find it fun. But I don't get used to the interface. Did you manage to run the game at more than 720p? The UI looks too large on my 4K TV and I didn't find an option to increase the resolution anywhere.

Back