Project Looking Glass screenshots

i saw this a few months back at linux expo here in new york city ... i was really impressed with the gui.... but what impressed me more was that it was writen by one guys in java !!!!! lets just hope they release it for windows as an addon

retsam

I'm still not convinced how useful a 3d interface will be with our current input devices, but I like to see new research in this area. I have a feeling I won't be convinced until I can actually use the interface for myself. I do like that Looking Glass seems to work very well with current 2d applications though. That's essential.

Well, at the very least, it'll look pretty damned cool. But yeah, it probably won't be all that useful. But hell, it sure does beat pretty much any UI we've seen in a sci-fi movie/show to date :)

My main issue with it would be that most of the time, I have only one program open, and that program is working full-screen (or maximized). If I have multiple programs open, I'm either switching between maximized apps, or I'm coding, and have to be able to read see multiple windows at once (i.e. type in one window, read another). I don't think a 3D windows interface would help me with any of these tasks.

I just need more monitors.

Chalnoth said:
Well, at the very least, it'll look pretty damned cool. But yeah, it probably won't be all that useful.

Im pretty sure that the true paradigm shift in interfaces with computing devices will come from entirely different direction, not making our current 2d screens with keyboards and mice cumbersome arrangement even more intricate.
Here are couple of indications on how it might work out:
http://plyojump.com/weblog/2004_03_07_archive.html ( scroll down to "Robots as the next computing interface" )

http://roboticnation.blogspot.com

The concepts are cool.

In reality, Sun is moving to the completly other direction. They still sell expensive workstations with Ati Rage XL GPUs on board. Somehow, you can't take them serious when speaking about "3d desktops".

I don't think the idea of a "two-sided" window is all that gimmicky anymore than Unix's concept of "screen management" is gimmicky.

Looks nice... but impractical. On the other hand, I like the idea of browsing Beyond3D and when my boss comes I flip the window around and suddenly I'm working :)

Never been convinced by the 3D desktop concept myself. It's always struck me as a solution looking for a problem.

I can't say that those screenshots have changed my perception.

3d desktop will be handy when we have proper surround displays (which will probably be a projector on glasses or a direct eye nerve implant).

Then you'll be able to work in a spherical space, surrounded by interactive objects.

Quitch said:
Looks nice... but impractical. On the other hand, I like the idea of browsing Beyond3D and when my boss comes I flip the window around and suddenly I'm working :)

yes but is that really any different from an alt-tab with fancy graphics? :?

Back