Moving from 1440p to 4k - Did anyone else feel underwhelmed?

After looking at 4k monitors for the last month or so I finally bit the bullet and ordered one.

It showed up today and so far I've been completely underwhelmed by the jump, I thought maintaining the same 27inch screen size as my old 1440p monitor but doubling the amount of pixels would have a good jump in image quality.

As I've been playing TLOU loads the last 5 days that's the game I tried first and while it looks a little better it's not blowing my mind, Returnal the same, CP2077 same, H:ZD, APT: Requiem........the only game that I've seen a noticeable increase in IQ is Dying Light 2, a few points in the game I've looked at thought 'fuck me that looks clean' but the improvement in the other games is 'meh'.

Has anyone else moved from 1440p to 4k?

How did you find the jump? What you expected or underwhelming?

On a different note - Holy Jesus DLSS performance mode taking native 1080p to a 4k output is impressive šŸ˜²

27" is too small for 4K IMO.

i got 55" 4K and its much better than 1080p 42".

but then my 55" 4K is an OLED while my 42" is VA....

27" is too small for 4K IMO.

i got 55" 4K and its much better than 1080p 42".

but then my 55" 4K is an OLED while my 42" is VA....

The pixel density at 27inch is significantly higher than at 55inch so it should be much more crisp.

But I would say going from a VA to an OLED is the biggest difference for you.

The pixel density at 27inch is significantly higher than at 55inch so it should be much more crisp.

But I would say going from a VA to an OLED is the biggest difference for you.
i meant 27 inches 1440p is already crisp. thus at 4k the crispyness is not as apparent when im going to 55 inches.

What about general usage like clarity of text and looking at pictures?

I find that for my usage I much prefer 200+ PPI.

I used 4K monitor for years, the first being a 24" one. It was mainly for clearer texts: I wanted to have mobile phone level "retina" display as my main display. It's not as high DPI as a phone but it's close. Of course, that caused some problem with gaming, as back then there weren't DLSS or anything like that, so I first got a GeForce 970 SLI setup (which is not even close for 4K gaming), then I got GeForce 1080 Ti SLI setup, which is still not good enough. My current setup is a 27" 4K monitor with 4090. This is arguably the first "real" 4K GPU (my previous GPU, a 3080 Ti, is pretty close though).

As for differences, I don't have a 1440p monitor for comparison, but my computer at my parents' home is using a 1080p monitor, and the difference is pretty large. I don't even have to look at texts to see the difference between 4K and 1080p. I don't think 1440p is going to help much. (I play games with DSR when possible, too bad many games still have problems with DSR) Of course, being able to spot the difference does not mean 1080p is now intolerable (the most "intolerable" part for me is the texts, actually). At least it's not that bad so I feel I have to replace the monitor with a 4K one :p

I've put it on to an adjustable stand now and adjusted the height so it's eye level now, made a world of a difference to the picture quality over using the stock stand and tilting it up that was making the IPS worse than it is.

DLSS performance mode to get to 4k continues to impress me!

An off screen shot of FH5 with the best car in the game šŸ˜

1680562810428.png

Last edited:
btw, i imagine, if your previous panel and the new one is vastly different. it can minimize the "mind blowingness" of the resolution upgrade.

for example, going from VA to LG IPS that have vertical/diagonal visual artifacts that i forgot the IPS name (they market the one with vertical artifact as color acurate and the one with diagonal artifacts as power saving IIRC).... AFAIK most humans cant consciously see the artifacts, but many can see it is less crisp/clear than the ones without the visual artifacts.

at least thats what i got from googling about it years ago. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

I went from 30" 2560*1600 to 43" 4k.
Can't imagine having this many pixels on a monitor smaller than the 30".

From recollection its a slight PPI reduction but I didn't really notice, I probably do sit a bit further back on average which will offset that .
I'm sure probably some people would be unimpressed with this PPI but for me its about bang on.

I did really notice having nearly twice the physical area & pixels for desktop stuff, its been great.

I'm old. :p So I use a 55" 4k OLED TV.

I also never game at 4k because I prefer to game in a window (there's always something I end up having to do while gaming and I hate alt-tabbing out of a game).

Common windowed resolutions for me when gaming
  • 3200x1800 (16:9)
  • 2560x1600 (16:10)
  • 2560x1440 (16:9)
  • 2400x1500 (16:10)
Since this is an OLED, Windowed gaming also lets me occasionally move the gaming window around to minimize the risk of burn in from persistently lit up pixels (like UI elements).

Nice thing with OLED (at least LG OLEDs) is that anything that isn't the gaming window is still pitch black. :)

Regards,
SB

How the heck do you use a 55" as a PC monitor? You're actually sitting in front of something that big from 2' away?

How the heck do you use a 55" as a PC monitor? You're actually sitting in front of something that big from 2' away?

About 3' away. It's about the perfect distance for my aging eyesight. If a display is too close then presbyopia (hardening of the lens of the eye as you get older) starts to become a problem. At 3' I don't have to worry about it (so no need for reading glasses) and at the same time text is still legible enough that I can keep the display at 100% and everything is nice and sharp.

Regards,
SB

Me!

LG CX OLED 55" as pc monitor. there's windows scaling to make things looks properly sized to the sitting distance.

I'm usually around 2 meters away when working. Around 0.5-1m away when playing games / watching movies

Depending if I am leant back or sitting up my eyes are about 2-3' from the 43" (closest point), I tend to mostly be lent back doing normal desktop stuff now while I did it mainly just when watching a movie with the 30".
New Avatar on VMAX was kinda disappointing, % of view arc felt about equivalent to a desktop 24", probably I'll try to get seats a couple of rows closer (like 10 old-school rows) next time.

Guy I know tossed his desk & monitors, bought a 60something" 4k wall mounted, with Lazyboy and an arm-rest tray for his keyboard/mouse.
Not his setup, this takes it much further but gives a feel
q740slomtmp81.jpg

I lust for it but definitely don't have the balls or spare $$$$ to do something like that without having a chance to try someone elses similar setup first.

Depending if I am leant back or sitting up my eyes are about 2-3' from the 43" (closest point), I tend to mostly be lent back doing normal desktop stuff now while I did it mainly just when watching a movie with the 30".
New Avatar on VMAX was kinda disappointing, % of view arc felt about equivalent to a desktop 24", probably I'll try to get seats a couple of rows closer (like 10 old-school rows) next time.

Guy I know tossed his desk & monitors, bought a 60something" 4k wall mounted, with Lazyboy and an arm-rest tray for his keyboard/mouse.
Not his setup, this takes it much further but gives a feel
q740slomtmp81.jpg

I lust for it but definitely don't have the balls or spare $$$$ to do something like that without having a chance to try someone elses similar setup first.

That's similar to the setup I had before, with a 55" in landscape and a 49" in portrait next to it. I ended up having to cran my neck too much to see from top to bottom of the 49" so I moved the main monitor over there when I got the 55" OLED. Now they are side by side in standard landscape orientation. The OLED is mounted to a floor standing TV stand on the other side of the desk. Works out perfectly to put it at just the right distance. Desk is 30" across by 60" long. Puts my head right about 36" from the display. I could mount it to the wall, but I like being able to move it around if I want to.

One thing I miss from the 49" in portrait orientation was being able to have a massively thick taskbar at the bottom with about 8 rows available for things I might have open (sometimes I have a LOT of windows open when doing work and research).

Regards,
SB

Bought a new monitor stand off Amazon as the 4k monitor doesn't have an adjustable stand (It was the cheapest 4k monitor on Amazon so expecting an adjustable stand is too much) and the existing adjustable stand I have has such a massive base that it doesn't leave much room on my desk for a keyboard and mouse.

It looks much cleaner now and I just need to order a cable tidy tray for the under the desk to sort the rest of the mess out.

And that little 3.5" display is fucking awesome BTW!!

1681510021232.png

Last edited:
Back