Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Perhaps there are performance implications here which is why they are pushing for this instead. Once you go functional, it's easy to scale, and it moves away from OOP. All good things in terms of speed.
Yeah, encouraging/forcing users to learn to code in a form that's easy to make data driven is essential to fortnite rooms actually performing tolerably, theres no kids googling OOP best practices would ship games that run OK.

Yeah, encouraging/forcing users to learn to code in a form that's easy to make data driven is essential to fortnite rooms actually performing tolerably, theres no kids googling OOP best practices would ship games that run OK.

Yah, it could be because I learned to program a particular way, and don't have a lot of functional experience, but I watched this talk and my impression was that it would be mentally difficult for a beginner to track certain concepts.

I've timestamped the segment on "Choice" in verse, and I could easy see this particular thing becoming more and more complex and difficult for someone that's trying to make their first game. It really depends on how it's all implemented.

An UE5 arcade racing game on current gen at 30fps will look similar to this, but lower res obviously.
Don't forget that's the purpose of nanite and lumen, to propose these kind of visuals in games, there are no fancy physics or destruction here, and that's not needed in a standard arcade racing game.

Lumen looks fantastic and is hopefully going to usher in the era of dynamic GI everywhere. Games without it will look lifeless in comparison. Aside from 4A and CDPR can’t think of any other engines that are leaning in as hard on GI and CDPR is moving to UE5. All hail lord Sweeney.

Lumen looks fantastic and is hopefully going to usher in the era of dynamic GI everywhere. Games without it will look lifeless in comparison. Aside from 4A and CDPR can’t think of any other engines that are leaning in as hard on GI and CDPR is moving to UE5. All hail lord Sweeney.

We haven't seen current gen only Frostbite or Anvil titles yet, so we'll see what they cook up. Snowdrop games can have ray traced GI. They mentioned it as being included in the Avatar: Thingy of Whatsits game.

We haven't seen current gen only Frostbite or Anvil titles yet, so we'll see what they cook up. Snowdrop games can have ray traced GI. They mentioned it as being included in the Avatar: Thingy of Whatsits game.

If I were working on the Thingy of Whatsits team, I'd be sweating profusely during UE5's latest tech demo in the forest.

The Finals is using RTX GI and it seems pretty performant, maybe even more than lumen but that's probably not a great comparison seeing the levels are not as big as fortnites map but the destruction is probably a bit more complex so maybe it evens out.

If I were working on the Thingy of Whatsits team, I'd be sweating profusely during UE5's latest tech demo in the forest.

It'll be interesting to see how their foliage system behaves in the game. Fully open world air to ground is a tricky transition to manage convincingly. Their on the ground foliage is really good, from what we've seen? Ray traced lighting with really high density + bags of art time being thrown at it.

That’s true but seeing is believing. At minimum UE5 should light a fire.

The shadows are too sharp and gamey looking. Otherwise it looks very good. But it's only a demo. Let's see when similar looking games with UE come out.

Are they really? For direct sunlight? Haven't they set physically correct penumbra values for the sun as defaults at this point yet?

Are they really? For direct sunlight? Haven't they set physically correct penumbra values for the sun as defaults at this point yet?
I think the source angle is fairly realistic for a sunny day with no clouds, but most types of foliage have some amount of transmission that gets scattered a bit more that can affect the perceived softness. Additionally since these are fundamentally still (virtual) shadow maps under the hood there is a limit to how soft things can get in screen space, so when you get up super close to the shadows in some of these shots to show off the materials they effectively get "harder" than they would be if viewed from further away.

Back