Resident Evil 4 - Remake [XBSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC]

I've played some of Silent Hill 3 but it was on Windows probably around 8 years ago so it was out of the potential mind blowing window of opportunity.

Gamecube/Wii RE4 uses the basic shader hardware (TEV) for some cool effects. But I think it has some issues with banding and a sort of cropped resolution to save memory. Gamecube games often ran at 16-bit color depth. I haven't looked at it recently but it might also have texture aliasing because sometimes Cube games didn't spend RAM on mip maps. PS2 wasn't big on mip mapping either though.

Last edited:
It's raining again. Oh, no. My love's at an end. ;)

Supertramp!

By the way, Jill is coming back. In a CG movie! :D

It's due out this summer, in fact, and also includes Chris, Leon, and Rebecca. I think Maria Gomez is also returning as the villain, because she was in the previous movie called Vendetta.

This is supposed be like many years from Resident evil 3 though. So why she look the same when everyone else aged 🤔

It's apparently a flashback, because she is seen briefly from behind, in the prison. The trailer goes so quickly, so you have to look carefully. But she's basically seen standing on the left next to Chris, as the zombies are getting nearer.

I had an attempt at the demo, and I don't know about anybody else, but the controls are rather janky to me. The aiming just didn't feel all that smooth.

In terms of the graphics, well I played the demo on the PS4. I couldn't be arsed setting up my PS5 last night after waiting ages for the demo to become available. But I heard the definitive version is on the PC.

In terms of the story, it's definitely similar to the original, but vastly different. I won't say why. Just play it.

Be careful with Jason's cousin, though. ;)

This is my playthrough using quality mode.
I m very satisfied with the visuals.
The game is harder than the original. I tried to use my old skill of shooting on the head and then meleeing like a superhero. Indeed it is harder to pull of and has a less area of attack

The feel of the controls remind me a lot of TLOU2 but it misses the dodge, so I was constantly trying to dodge instinctively but was getting hit and grabbed.

The game has some changes but it is highly faithful to the original.

I liked what I played. Not sure if I missed it but I was looking for a 180 turn input which I think it desperately needs

edit: I discovered that thete is actually a 180 degree turn

Last edited:
Tried it but as with the original release I'm not a fan.

Combat even feels worse than RE2 Remake to me.

But looks good and is super optimised.

Max settings, RT enabled and native 1440p and pulling a little over 120w, it's so chilled my GPU's fans turned off and it was running in passive mode 😂

Attachments

• re4demo_2023_03_10_21_38_18_640.jpg
    re4demo_2023_03_10_21_38_18_640.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
Tried it but as with the original release I'm not a fan.

Combat even feels worse than RE2 Remake to me.

But looks good and is super optimised.

Max settings, RT enabled and native 1440p and pulling a little over 120w, it's so chilled my GPU's fans turned off and it was running in passive mode 😂
I think Combat is deliberately designed to be claustrophobically limited.
I think a dodge would have been welcome though

About the demo.

On consoles you really should deactivate all effects (that are on by default at least on PS5): CA + lenses and Motion blur. The filters are of very low quality. Really awful stuff.

We can also increase the FOV so it really should be at max (which is not big anyways even at max on console).

The thing I don't like is the left and right side notch on the camera when we turn (that can't be turn off). A similar effect is there when we aim. I don't like it.

Plays beautifully. Everything max at my native 3840x1600 at 60fps is a virtually completely flat line..... but only with RTSS, With the in game 60fps cap it's far less smooth. Also.. wth is going on with FSR 1 and FSR2 options, but no DLSS? Surely FSR1 is entirely redundant....

It seems like a cool RE4 reimagining. The start is totally reworked while the town feels just like the classic game. I wonder how much content they will cut though. On the other hand, I've always felt that RE4 maybe dragged on too long.

I ran it on the old 1080 Ti at 4K and got it to 60 fps with some mix of settings. FSR2 looks great.

Last edited:
Yes. RE4 is very long. But that's a good thing, right? ;)

By the way, Jill ages REALLY slowly because of what Nemesis and Wesker put her through. But that doesn't really explain why she prefers to wear the same outfit. 😄

Anyone else surprised that the PS5 has a performance advantage on XSX? Also have no idea what kind of visual benefits RT On offers

Back