GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
UE4 RT reflections just don't look right in most games. This, Hogwarts, Returnal. Feels very obvious the materials were designed for non RT, and then turning it on just turns them to mirrors.
I agree that it would likely look much better if they reworked the materials alongside with adding RT. They definitely could use RTX Remix to quickly implement changes to materials and lighting.

I agree that it would likely look much better if they reworked the materials alongside with adding RT. They definitely could use RTX Remix to quickly implement changes to materials and lighting.
RT Remix doesn't work with modern API's like DX12 but as these are new games why not just patch the games?

Last edited:
Well.. DXVK as a part of Remix Runtime can also translate D3D11 to Vulkan, but I'm not sure about the rest of dependencies in the Remix Runtime

Well.. DXVK as a part of Remix Runtime can also translate D3D11 to Vulkan, but I'm not sure about the rest of dependencies in the Remix Runtime
DXVK uses an entirely different internal codepath to handle D3D9 as opposed to D3D10/11. The original translation layer used to be D9VK before being upstreamed to DXVK and the author also works at Valve and is a Khronos Group member as well. RTX Remix can't be used on D3D10+ since the fixed function pipeline is deprecated ...

NVIDIA has announced that the upcoming overdrive RT mode in Cyberpunk 2077 is a complete path tracing of the game.

Nvidia’s marketing is a little confusing. “Complete path tracing” to me means no raster whatsoever. I’m pretty sure RTXDI uses a rasterized gbuffer though.
I really would be surprised if they do not use rasterized view as a primary ray.
Same goes for some transparencies and so on.

NVIDIA has announced that the upcoming overdrive RT mode in Cyberpunk 2077 is a complete path tracing of the game.

I expect 4K60FPS with DLSS ultra performance and FG on RTX 4090.

Cyberpunk 2077’s neon-illuminated environments are key to its aesthetic, and with the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode their level of detail is taken to the next level:
  • NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques

Supporting the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode are several new NVIDIA technologies that greatly accelerate and improve the quality of advanced ray tracing workloads, for even faster performance when playing on GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards:
  • Shader Execution Reordering (SER) reorders and parallelizes the execution of threads that trace rays, without compromising image quality.
  • Opacity Micromaps accelerate ray tracing workloads by encoding the surface opacity directly onto the geometry, drastically reducing expensive opacity evaluation during ray traversal, and enabling higher quality acceleration structures to be constructed. This technique is especially beneficial when applied to irregularly-shaped or translucent objects, like foliage and fences. On GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards, the Opacity Micromap format is directly decodable by ray tracing hardware, improving performance even further.
  • NVIDIA Real Time Denoisers (NRD) is a spatio-temporal ray tracing denoising library that assists in denoising low ray-per-pixel signals with real-time performance. Compared to previous-gen denoisers, NRD improves quality and ensures the computationally intensive ray-traced output is noise-free, without performance tradeoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back