Hogwarts Legacy [PS4, 4PRO, PS5, XO, XOX, XBSX|S, PC]

This game is nearing 400 000 CC players on steam :eek: For the early access deluxe edition, in the middle of the week. This is gonna do Cyberpunk launch numbers on steam when it launches on friday. Did not expect this level of popularity

This is gonna do Cyberpunk launch numbers on steam when it launches on friday. Did not expect this level of popularity
Even without the very popular IP, the reviews all say its a good RPG in its own right. That's a good combo! :yes:

I am really looking forward to playing this at the weekend.

All the PC specific details not related to actual gameplay has been spawned to it's own thread:

Thanks, sorry friend. Well for the game..

I've tons of complains.

- Gear system seems jank. Too much worthless and absurd Borderlands-style stuff that keeps popping up. Constant need of destroying/selling stuff. Takes a bit of the magic out of the game.
- Other students always wear one fixed robe attire. Even removing your rob and only wearing your uniform, you stand out. Cool? Not cool in my book. I'd like more random combinations of clothing on other NPC students.
- Game does not seem mystical as some of the oldest entries are, such as PS2/PC games of HP1/HP2/HP3. Like, it lacks certain elements such as world dynamics. Everything feels a bit rigid, surely there are a lot of random stuff that is happening, but not in an interactive way.
- Side quests are fetch quests with boring and filler scripts. I don't know if the game boasts high quality/narrative driven side quests later on. This is my observation after first 15 hrs.
- Poachers that close to school makes no sense. People send their kids to this school, dangerous people that kidnaps or harms people shouldn't be this close to the school. Forbidden forest is something else, it should've been guardaded by ground keeper, but he's no where to be seen
- Speaking of groundkeeper, teachers are not present in the school. They always stay at their own classrooms. In both movies and books, at nights, teachers take strolls in halls to check if any student is up to something bad. Headboys also make sure EVERY student is in their dormitory at night. This is simply not the case in this game; you can freely roam around at 3:00 AM and no one bats an eye or wonders about you, or any mention of it. Too much freedom for a Hogwarts student. I can understand this is for gameplay reasons, but it really sucks the immersion out of it.

And spoilers for first 5 hours;

- Initial rushed story segments. You're quickly teleported around story milestones without much details. Hop, you're in sorting ceremony. Hop, you're now teleported to your dormitory. Where is the sequences in between where headboys take the students to their room? The awe of seeing grand hall for the 1st game is reserved for casual exploring later. Why?

You don't actually feel like you're a fresh 5th grader student in a completely strange and unknown environment. Day 1 and your character acts as if they've been there for years. You dont even get to see what kind of a "1st night" your character gets. Like, what did she/he talk with people? How did they react? Proffessor Weasley drops yo tou your room and then you wake up next morning, as if you woke up to "just another day at hogwarts" instead of "your first magical day in hogwarts".

Although I have a lot of complaints, overall feel of Hogwarts is quite magical and I can see what it is quite liked. However there are a lot of things I don't like about the game. I know that Hogwarts is a troll school that actually has dangers for students but that was always because Harry Potter actively searched for them. In this game dangers exist solely without your active attempts. You can literally take a stroll near Hogwarts and there are poaches. Its a bit... too much.

We played about four hours last night and those hours flew by. We are playing on PS5 (40fps/120Hz Balanced mode) and it's a very nice looking game.

The only gameplay element we're not enjoying is the need to spam Revelio over and over to find things. Hopefully there is either a better spell for finding nearby things or they'll tweak the game so that the location of things (particularly Z-axis) is more prominently visually represented. We have heard the clear audio cue for something nearby so often but been able to visually locate it.

Combat feels super satisfying.

Game opened up quite nicely. Combat is good, spell variety is good enough. Tbh most side quests are filler-Ubisoft style. But at least the environment and combat makes it bearable/tolerable.
Story seems okay. Nothing great but its engaging enough.

I still wish the game had more mini games though. Wizard chess for starters, and maybe a spell/wizard based card game.Maybe trading cards? Beans? Some stuff could've been added. But it is fine the way it is, still.

Soooo I know you probably covered this but.. what mode do I choose? My TV supports 120/VRR. Do I do Balanced?
I started in Balanced (40fps @ 120Hz), then switched to Performance (60fps).
At the distance I am from the TV, I can only perceive the frame rate different.

The combat can get really frantic, so 30fps is off the table for me.

The Uncapped mode seems to be nice, and probably the mode I would use.

I read that disabling aim assist and turning up the sensitivity for controlls makes it a better experience too.

I read that disabling aim assist and turning up the sensitivity for controlls makes it a better experience too.

I'm not sure how that would work with a controller. I've reached winter and it's quite common to be surrounded by multiple targets and have to zip around the battlefield, while targeting and re-targetting as threats change, including shooting things off-screen.

I'm not sure how that would work with a controller. I've reached winter and it's quite common to be surrounded by multiple targets and have to zip around the battlefield, while targeting and re-targetting as threats change, including shooting things off-screen.
Oh, I may have jumbled acceleration with assist. Heres what was said after playing 30+ hours:

Turn off aim/camera acceleration and turn up sensitivity and the game feels farrrrrr better.

It just makes it feel smooth, the camera moves at the same speed and doesn’t ramp up. The system used here starts slow then goes real fast, so it feels laggy at first, if you turn this off it is a consistent and better feeling look speed.

Tried RT mode on PS5 (uncapped) and it was pretty bad, super choppy. Really need a DigiFoundry video here!
It's because they run rt mode in a 60hz container and the game runs less than 48 fps (less than ps5 threshold for vrr). Honestly all games should be running in a 120hz container for ps5 to allow proper LFC. Vrr is unusable on PS5 if game runs sub 48 fps in a 60hz container.

We finished it last night at 33 hours with a few side quests left to do, which we probably won't do as we've had our fill. :yes:

I started playing yesterday and had 5 crashes so far…… :mrgreen:

32GB system memory with 24GB video memory (4090 eh).

I did notice from Event Viewer that my crashes seem to be due to “low virtual memory condition”.

Once I removed my custom page file settings (small pagefile on OS drive; larger one on secondary) and let Windows manage it automatically, it seems to have stablised. So in my case, the game engine has probably malloc-ed giant spaces but without using them fully (yet), and when enough of them have stacked up, Windows decides to terminate the game because it fails to find reserve (under my old pagefile setting) the backing swap space needed to service them all under overcommitting + pressure from actual usage.

Last edited:
I started playing yesterday and had 5 crashes so far…… :mrgreen:

32GB system memory with 24GB video memory (4090 eh).

I did notice from Event Viewer that my crashes seem to be due to “low virtual memory condition”.

Once I removed my custom page file settings (small pagefile on OS drive; larger one on secondary) and let Windows manage it automatically, it seems to have stablised. So in my case, the game engine has probably malloc-ed giant spaces but without using them fully (yet), and when enough of them have stacked up, Windows decides to terminate the game because it fails to find reserve (under my old pagefile setting) the backing swap space needed to service them all under overcommitting + pressure from actual usage.
Yup, game is actually requesting/wanting 64 GB for settings that would fill a 24 GB video memory buffer.

This game is shaping up to be really great. Main story picked up its pace towards the final, and I've been more engaged with the story with some awe moments. Poppy and Sebastian side quests are of similar vain to Triss/Yen/Panam/Judy type of CDPR side quests. They're so greatly designed they might as well overshadow the main game's story. I really like the subplots going on with these two characters. Natsai feels a bit subpar, and Amit did not get any love, but its okay.

This game is magical. It promised magic and it delivers magic. Everything about HP universe bar quidditch has been integrated into the story and quests in a meaningful way. I really did not expect such a scale of events / things that we may across. And all of this happens with a huge Hogwarts castle filled with details and lore and ambiance... I'm not even delving into Hogsmeade, other small towns and vistas they've crafted across the highlands.

This game is a really strong GOTY contender. My initial complaints continue but thankfully I still see major effort and labor went into this game, and this made me appreciate it more.

I thought there was a thread for technical issues. Any chance we can keep the games thread about the game and not how shit PCs are for gaming? j/k. :)

Back