Windows 11 [2021]

We got updated to Win11 at work.

No ability to disable window grouping on taskbar ugh.
I've been progressively disabling that on our hundreds of servers since its on by default for some godawful reason, now I have to actually have it on my desktop.
It literally means twice as many clicks to switch windows as ungrouped windows! And a pause for thumbnails to draw/eyes to strain & brain to figure out which of the similar looking little File Explorer thumbnails is the one I want & then click.
Over a year its probably going to waste me hours cumulatively 🤬

Something I hadn't noticed before but really seals the deal on them slavishly copying Apple is the fact the taskbar icons do a little bounce when you open a new program. Just... aaargh.

Not all bad though, some stuff is at least not significantly wors or even an improvement.

Since it's work computers, you may not be allowed to install it, but I'd certainly recommend something like Valinet's Explorer Patcher. It's not perfect, but it does give you the option to restore the functionality of the Taskbar to how it worked in Windows 10.

I can't even imagine trying to get any work done productively with the crappy Apple style taskbar that Windows 11 comes with.

Regards,
SB

What? Actual GUI enhancements? 🤔
Are they going to give me ungrouped taskbar icons too?

Haven't asked about Explorer Patcher yet but its truly driving me barmy.
eg if I have an email I need to deal with I open it into a new window, then close it when dealt with, Windows11 taskbar looks like I have none open, it even hides the little stack thing unless you mouse over the icon & take a careful look.

Latest Win10 update put in a 'Please upgrade to Win11 22H2' nagger :nope:
Not.Until.You.Fix.The.Goddamned.GUI Microsoft.

That Tiny11 doesn't seem useful to me given the following (outside of academic curiosity):

Some moderately important things are missing, though. This OS install “is not serviceable,” notes NTDev. “.NET, drivers and security definition updates can still be installed from Windows Update,” so this isn’t an install which you can set and forget. Moreover, removing the Windows Component Store (WinSxS), which is responsible for a fair degree of Tiny11’s compactness, means that installing new features or languages isn’t possible. If you install and enjoy Tiny11, we guess you will have to look out for ISO updates as major feature revisions of Windows 11 arrive.

I have my old Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet with Atom Z3470D, 64GB EMMC and 2GB RAM on Win10. 2GB isn't much of an impediment. Sadly the thing can't run Win11 because that first gen Baytrail hardware is 32-bit UEFI.

I liked Windows 8.1 the most on it though. And I sort of wish MS had kept working on EdgeHTML instead of moving to Chromium.

Last edited:
Tiny11, a stripped down version of Windows 11 that runs on machines with 2GB of RAM.

What I like about this one is that it keeps the Microsoft Store, which allows you to use PC gamepass and stuff.

That's cool. I find a lot of these "de-bloat" images remove important features that people actually use.

That Tiny11 doesn't seem useful to me given the following (outside of academic curiosity):
well, I installed it. It worked fine, apparently, but then, when launching the PC gamepass Xbox app, I never signed in, I couldn't install nor launch any game, I had to reinstall a stable version of Windows 11, which is a shame, 'cos I was liking Tiny11. I was "actually" signed in, the games I own on PC gamepass, those that I purchased, were listed in My Library, but my nickname never appeared.

Also Windows update started downloading stuff then it said installing but it failed at some point with some important updates from Windows insider or W11 security stuff.

It was a totally clean installation so I completely wiped my 2TB NVMe, but now I have a 1GB fiber connection, unlike months ago when I had 20MB of Internet radio -oh those were the days...-, and I can get up to speed in no time and install games or apps quite fast. If I knew though I wouldn't dare to install it.

Cause that's what everyone needed...
Considering that you might need to install crappy 3rd party RGB software (let's be honest, they're all crappy) just to turn lights off, yes, that's definitely what everyone needs.

Fortunately lots of things have onboard flash to save a profile to and then the software is never needed again. If that's not a feature, back to the store it goes.

Last edited:

If it allows you to control screen synced lighting / ambilight then that'd be pretty awesome for me. I doubt it'll allow that though.

Use hdr toggle hotkey windows alt b
didnt know about that! Excellent stuff. I knew there is also a toggle now in the Game bar app which you can launch with Windows + G or with the large circular middle button on gamepads, but not this.

Back