30 fps unplayable on OLED, alternatives?

Did I miss something? When did the definition of "judder" change? I thought it was an effect caused by a content's frame rate not dividing evenly with a TV's refresh rate.

Yah, I think in terms of video content the more correct term would just be stutter, but then that gets complicated when you talk about games because stutter means something else. Judder in video usually refers to what you're talking about, with 2:3 pulldown. Ultimately it's panning of the camera not looking smooth, which is extra apparent on OLEDs because the pixel response times are incredibly fast, so there's no panel ghosting to blur image transitions. You still have some motion blur because of sample and hold, but overall 24p video, or 30 fps gaming look far less smooth on an OLED than on an IPS, VA or TN panel.

I´m considering replacing my TV, but I dont really know what to get.

To get a LED TV whith similar picture quality as an OLED it apparently gets pretty expensive. And more expensive LEDs have faster pixel response time, which probably makes 30 fps less smooh. Samsungs have motion interpolation in game mode, how good does that work? Do other brands have this as well? Where is the sweet spot where pixel response time gets too fast?

Do anyone here know the guys at Digital Foundry or Vincent of HDTV test? It would be awesome if they could tests these things, "gaming TVs for people who experience 30 fps judder".

I´m considering replacing my TV, but I dont really know what to get.

To get a LED TV whith similar picture quality as an OLED it apparently gets pretty expensive. And more expensive LEDs have faster pixel response time, which probably makes 30 fps less smooh. Samsungs have motion interpolation in game mode, how good does that work? Do other brands have this as well? Where is the sweet spot where pixel response time gets too fast?

Do anyone here know the guys at Digital Foundry or Vincent of HDTV test? It would be awesome if they could tests these things, "gaming TVs for people who experience 30 fps judder".
motion interpolation doesn't work bad. It doesn't do much when rotating the camera, as it screams 30fps everywhere, but the games run smoother overall. I am playing more on my PC monitor as of late, but the experience is palatable.

Dunno on an OLED panel, but this video also covers that for both QLED and QD OLED TVs. There is also a section where the author compares 30fps with motion interpolation vs 60fps without motion interpolation.

Last edited:
Back