40 fps, how difficult is it to implement?

You´re coming of as very rude and argumenative just for the sake of it. I have no interrest in spending any more time discussing this with you.

And you're coming across as someone who doesn't like it that I'm just not nodding my head and agreeing with you.

But I feel this thread has run its course and needs to closed as it's adding nothing to the forum, has gone way off course to the original topic about 40fps and game implementation and is providing nothing technical to talk about.

@BRiT

Well it's hard to be technical when the usual suspect flat panelist doesn't even get the difference between BFI or something rather apt for relative low refresh rates like continuous rolling update. Also plasma is quite a standout for relative low refresh because phosphor glow. So 48 would be preferred over 40 as it'd work in dim room with HDR off, but 30+VRR "won" .

Im not sure. Maybe more people pushing for 60 fps is because 30 looks like crap on their OLEDs, and that they arent aware of that its an OLED issue. They might just think they´re used to 60 fps now.
This is a very good question/observation.

It would certainly explain how there's something of a wild shift in console gamers who say '30fps is unplayable' nowadays when they had absolutely zero complaints about all the top tier PS4 exclusives that were basically all 30fps games just a couple years before. Standards can change of course, but as somebody who plays most games at 60fps+ on PC for a long time and can still finds 30fps entirely 'adequate' when need be for Playstation or Switch games or whatever, I dont think that's it.

Where's the proof of this? How amny OLED owners are un happy with it?
Tons of people notice this. I think OP is very over-sensitive to this compared to average person, but this is a well understood thing that has tons of complaints, especially for 24fps TV footage. Google "oled 24fps stutter" and "oled stutter panning" to see thousands and thousands of posts about this. If you buy an oled it's immediately surprisingly obvious how well they hold frames and suddenly jerk to new frames at low fps -- you obviously have to turn off motion smoothing modes, etc, that would be on in a store. This and the panel automatically darkening due to load if most of the screen is white are the two big "gotchas" about oled panels imo.

That said, I don't mind playing 30fps games on mine, it's still within the range of tolerable that I'll get used to it after a while.

This video has some slow motion side by side footage where you can see an oled vs a lcd.

Last edited:
Tons of people notice this. I think OP is very over-sensitive to this compared to average person, but this is a well understood thing that has tons of complaints, especially for 24fps TV footage. Google "oled 24fps stutter" and "oled stutter panning" to see thousands and thousands of posts about this. If you buy an oled it's immediately surprisingly obvious how well they hold frames and suddenly jerk to new frames at low fps -- you obviously have to turn off motion smoothing modes, etc, that would be on in a store. This and the panel automatically darkening due to load if most of the screen is white are the two big "gotchas" about oled panels imo.

That said, I don't mind playing 30fps games on mine, it's still within the range of tolerable that I'll get used to it after a while.

This video has some slow motion side by side footage where you can see an oled vs a lcd.
These kind of videos usually highlights the pros of OLEDs over LED/LCDs and this is why I got an OLED

I'm not and have never disputed that this stutter doesn't exit, I'm disputing how certain people are claiming it's a much bigger issue and more known than it actually is.

Before this thread I've never seen or heard anyone talking about it on any social media.

Looking at Google there's 25+ million OLED TV's in the world, so a few thousand people noticing stutter is an insanely small number for it to even be considered 'well known' as 250,000 people who are sensitive to it is still only 1% of OLED owners.

But if it's that bad and is spoiling the gaming experience so much then change it.

This thread is no longer about "40 fps, how difficult is it to implement?" as that was cleared up in the first page.

This thread is now an OLED owners group for people to moan and complain about stuttering so is no longer useful in the console technology section.

Last edited:
Response time of OLED is shockingly low compared to LED. I am just worried about OLED burn in

It's going to depend on your expectations.

If you're looking at it from the perspective of an almost disposable device that you'll be attentive to for 3 years or less, not really an issue.

If you're looking it at as some sort of care free device you want to keep for upwards of 10 years if not longer, no chance.

Where current displays actually fall into between those criteria is debatable without any real possible test data.

This is a very good question/observation.

It would certainly explain how there's something of a wild shift in console gamers who say '30fps is unplayable' nowadays when they had absolutely zero complaints about all the top tier PS4 exclusives that were basically all 30fps games just a couple years before. Standards can change of course, but as somebody who plays most games at 60fps+ on PC for a long time and can still finds 30fps entirely 'adequate' when need be for Playstation or Switch games or whatever, I dont think that's it.

Some one else pointed this out and it made sense to me. Its definently in line with my own experience.

It would be intressesting to know what percentage of people experience this. Im probably extra sensitive since even 40 fps on OLED gives me headache as well (tried horizon and miles morales yesterday). It looked smooth, but I still felt sick. I would like it if maybe the guys at rtings made some kind of test. Perheps a small sample size would give some idea of how common this is.

Back