Hogwarts Legacy [PS4, 4PRO, PS5, XO, XOX, XBSX|S, PC]

image.png

Screenshot_20230206_130248_Chrome.jpg

Much better than Forspoken

Last edited:
Currently holding a Metacritic score of 88% on PS5 and XSX and 82% on PC.

The reviews seem to agree that the world is exceptionally recreated, and that the sound and music are great as are the variety of missions and characters, so it'll come down to whether folks are fans of the IP and of openworld, story-driven, exploring type games.

What do they mean by DLSS3 increasing memory requirements? I would have thought it would decrease since the rendered frame buffer is smaller. Or is that specific to Frame Generation? Is that increasing memory footprint?

Hogwarts Legacy | PS5 - Xbox Series S|X - PC | Graphics Comparison | Analista de Bits - YouTube

- PS5 and Xbox X Series have 5 display modes. The quality snot displays settings similar to High/Ultra on PC with an average resolution of 1800p at 30fps without ray-tracing.
- Ray-tracing mode is applied on shadows and reflections (except water).
- The PC version applies ray-tracing on the ambient occlusion of the character. However, RT by generates too much noise on some surfaces on consoles and PC.
- Ray-Tracing mode decreases drawing distance and texture quality on PS5 and Xbox Series X.
- Xbox Series S does not have Ray-Tracing. In this version we can choose between 3 display modes that prioritize graphic quality, framerate or balanced (the latter only with 120Hz screens). - Shorter loading times on PS5.
- Shadows in Quality (Fidelity) mode have a higher resolution on PS5 compared to Xbox Series X.
- We can unlock the framerate on consoles (except Xbox Series S).
- PS5 shows better performance in Ray-Tracing mode, but Xbox Series X framerate is higher in all other modes.
- Quality mode increases texture quality, draw distance, shadows, vegetation and lighting on consoles.
- All versions have stuttering problems inside the castle while advancing through the rooms. There will even be times when we get stuck in a doorway until the other room has finished loading.
- Xbox Series S has a lower NPC density.
- Balanced and Performance HFR modes can only be enabled on 120Hz compatible displays.
- On PC, Ray-Tracing is too demanding for what it delivers. This is another case of a game whose traditional lighting system is the clear basis of development and Ray-Tracing is a superfluous improvement.
- In the absence of some patches to correct the annoying stuttering, Hogwarts Legacy does a good job on all platforms and any version is enjoyable.

I say RT is busted on XSX

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 09.02.47.png

Hogwarts Legacy does a good job on all platforms and any version is enjoyable.
Has the guy even watched his own video with the awful RT mode on XSX? This mode is for now unplayable there. I wonder what's happening, lack of optimization? Others non-RT modes are performing pretty similar compared to this.

Has the guy even watched his own video with the awful RT mode on XSX? This mode is for now unplayable there. I wonder what's happening, lack of optimization? Others non-RT modes are performing pretty similar compared to this.
Lack of optimization is likely the issue here. I have a feeling it’s using RT code architected for PC as opposed specific to XSX.

Imo Sort of the pros and cons of sharing an API; makes it easy to move over, but you’re going to lose performance somewhere in there.

Lack of optimization is likely the issue here. I have a feeling it’s using RT code architected for PC as opposed specific to XSX.

Imo Sort of the pros and cons of sharing an API; makes it easy to move over, but you’re going to lose performance somewhere in there.
I'm also not surprised as I believe RT workload can stall the wave. So be better to be slimmer and faster than wider which would stall more ALU.
Especially if its good enough so why spend time trying to optimize further.

In their defense, the XSX has a good performance mode and fidelity mode (if you're into 30fps), so it's still a good version of the game.

As noted above and based on the footage from this video, the RT in this game is busted on all platforms.

It introduces noise and may not be best suited for the art design of this game. It kinda looks worse and shoehorned (for lack of better term) in.

What this game needs is a proper RTAO implementation and it doesn't seem to have one (even on PC).

As XSX performs better in every other mode I would suggest a CPU bottleneck.

DXR has it's issues with efficiency and a few devs have stated on Twitter that PS5's API is very friendly for RT and CPU use.

Watched some videos, why this game sometimes looks amazing and sometimes looks very dated?

I can't point my finger on what exactly the cause

Back