Tekken 8 [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

That gameplay video could pass for MK11.
The fact that Tekken can finally look like one of the most visually impressive 2D fighting games on the market in a 3D environment is actually pretty crazy to me. Especially coming from Tekken 7 which wasn't a looker in any major respect, similar to street fighter 5. What a glow up for both franchises for their current entrees.

The fact that Tekken can finally look like one of the most visually impressive 2D fighting games on the market in a 3D environment is actually pretty crazy to me. Especially coming from Tekken 7 which wasn't a looker in any major respect, similar to street fighter 5. What a glow up for both franchises for their current entrees.
Whats so crazy about that?

It dosent look much better than Tekken 7 imo. The characters looks slightly more detailed than 7, stages are hit and miss imo. I am sure it’s gonna be good game but I am disappointed with graphics tbh.

It dosent look much better than Tekken 7 imo. The characters looks slightly more detailed than 7, stages are hit and miss imo. I am sure it’s gonna be good game but I am disappointed with graphics tbh.
Go back and play Tekken 7 again. It looks much better in terms of texture detail, character shading plus modeling, and especially lighting whereas in previous game lighting didn't even interact with the player.

The blues and reds playing off of Nina's leather coat realistically are so good looking 😁

Whats so crazy about that?
I can tell you netherrealm got an order of magnitude more budget for mortal Kombat 11 to look as good as it does. Probably way more than Tekken 7 and 8 combined. so the fact Tekken 8 looks comparable now is great

I can tell you netherrealm got an order of magnitude more budget for mortal Kombat 11 to look as good as it does. Probably way more than Tekken 7 and 8 combined. so the fact Tekken 8 looks comparable now is great
I doubt budget is a problem. It doesnt need MK's budget. MK put a lot on the story presentation, modes and the tech for those fatalities and xray sequences. Even as such Tekken is probably the most successfull fighting game franchise right now, making the approval of a good budget likely. But the problem is the whole gameplay and art direction of the game.

Oh and btw Tekken isnt supposed to be or play like a 2D fighting game. 3D movement was one of the franchises strongest elements, adding a layer of depth that Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter cant fathom to have. At its core it is one of the very few true 3D fighting games left

Tekken looks like a combination of MK, SF and Dragon Ball now.
It is hard to distinguish a clean art and personality.
Too much going on, too much special effects, very noisy, way too much over the top, and the introduction of guns in main moves in a martial arts video game is a total turn off.
Nina using uzis as if they are pellet guns on Lars doesnt fit well for Tekken.
I think TTT nailed the art best of all the series
How from this:

We got to this:

Its like the latest Tekken branched from a different game.

Reactions: snc
Your too hyperbolic. Tekken has had weapons from the beginning with yoshimitsu literally stabbing people. Why can't anyone else have them? Not only that but bonus weapons have been a thing since 6. Hell Nina herself has used guns directly in openings and endings of the various games, and it makes sense for her to use them. She's literally an assassin. The idea they can't introduce that to the gameplay doesn't make much sense.

Rage special effects aura has been a thing since Tekken 6, and you could put on permanent special auras and such on your character since Tekken 5. Over the top hit sparks and such have also been a thing since t1.

What im trying to say is, this is not a extreme change to the status quo, it's a kneejerk reaction to slight differences that isn't justified.

Hell they literally added a 2D fighting game character to the previous game that didn't play anything like the other characters in the game. That's a lot more of a change that anything in this game.

Last edited:
Your too hyperbolic. Tekken has had weapons from the beginning with yoshimitsu literally stabbing people. Why can't anyone else have them? Not only that but bonus weapons have been a thing since 6. Hell Nina herself has used guns directly in openings and endings of the various games, and it makes sense for her to use them. She's literally an assassin. The idea they can't introduce that to the gameplay doesn't make much sense.

Rage special effects aura has been a thing since Tekken 6, and you could put on permanent special auras and such on your character since Tekken 5. Over the top hit sparks and such have also been a thing since t1.

What im trying to say is, this is not a extreme change to the status quo, it's a kneejerk reaction to slight differences that isn't justified.
The only hyberbole is the game itself. Yoshimitsu had limited use of his weapons and he was a fitting exception.
Weapons in past tekkens were mostly impractical funny bonuses (since 6 if I recall), not main moves, hence why you never saw them in tournaments. Nina is routinely using them.
Effects like rage aura's were limited. Additional effects were bonuses. Tekken 7 was already showing worrying signs of weapons, meters and projectiles with guest characters hence many Tekken veterans were worried with 8's gameplay clips.
Now effects are all over the place and multipled by 100.

It is an extreme change in gameplay and visuals in all fronts. I have no idea how you can call that "slight differences".

Last edited:
It's a slight difference because it's just the natural progression. This is how I would expect a Tekken 8 to be like especially with the success of Tekken 7. It's not some major deviation from what has happened before but a doubling down on those ideas.

I'm not saying one has to like what Tekken 8 is or the features it has.

But if there are people who aren't with it, there are other fighting games out there to play. A lot people didn't like tekken 7 but it was the most popular Tekken game by far. So I have no incentive to cry about how it's not like Tekken 5 a game that came out almost 20 years ago

It's a slight difference because it's just the natural progression. This is how I would expect a Tekken 8 to be like especially with the success of Tekken 7. It's not some major deviation from what has happened before but a doubling down on those ideas.

I'm not saying one has to like what Tekken 8 is or the features it has.

But if there are people who aren't with it, there are other fighting games out there to play. A lot people didn't like tekken 7 but it was the most popular Tekken game by far. So I have no incentive to cry about how it's not like Tekken 5 a game that came out almost 20 years ago
Natural progression is very subjective.

Tekken 7 did a lot of things right with the gameplay and balancing and fledging out its main cast. This is why it kept me and many others with it, despite some unwelcome introductions, like Negan, Noctis, and 2D characters like Akuma, Eliza and Geaser.
Especially those 2D characters were destroying the game's flow, with 3D characters being forced to reduce their playstyle in Tournaments when facing them. A single mistake could eliminate your whole life bar.

A Tekken 8 could still be successful and develop where 7 left of, with less visual noise and Nina without Uzis in her main moves. The heat system made many professional's worried about the game's direction.

Surely if you want to talk purely from a businessman's standpoint, then changing the game fully using its brand name to appease a larger crowd of casuals that will bring in the money, that can be your argument too.
But that isnt an indication of the game getting better though.

As for "other fighting games to play" no all games are substitutes with each other and Tekken was a unique fighting game in it's own right. This isnt the same as having to choose between 2 driving sim or football games.

Last edited:

Cheung Lik aka Chang Li should be a custom fighter in this game, who uses the same fighting technique as Marshall and Forest Law. :p

He was great in Karado: The Hong Kong Flash.

Back