Tekken 8 [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Tag 2 was most feature rich game in the series and died too pitifully 😔
I loved tag 2 a lot too.
It had serious balance issues though which destroyed the competitive scene.
Most people couldnt quite get how to use the tag system properly because it was too complex for them, and the roaster was so large that it was almost impossible for average players to learn the play set ups of their opponents.
I am pretty sure a lot of anger and hate must have been expressed by a lot of players :LOL:

There was way too much launcher and juggle fest and too much strikes knocked you on the ground, which could lead to more juggles if you made the wrong wake up or recovery.

I got into Tekken on arcade machines, then PlayStation and PSP. I dipped into VF5 on PS3 and could not get into it, it was just too different.

I'm cautiously eyeing Tekken 8 to see if it's worth having a bash on a franchise I've not played for four generations.

I got into Tekken on arcade machines, then PlayStation and PSP. I dipped into VF5 on PS3 and could not get into it, it was just too different.

I'm cautiously eyeing Tekken 8 to see if it's worth having a bash on a franchise I've not played for four generations.
It's frickin fun as hell man

Succeeding? Since always. If your question is when it started looking like a clown, it begun slightly with 6, and became a clownfest with 7.

Oh come on, it was already clowny starting from the original arcade version. Kuma? Yoshimitsu? Armor King? Prototype Jack? Sure it wasn't quite as bad as some of the later entries, but it started with clown stuff and tons of anime stereotypes at its inception. I mean pretty much every single character in Tekken was an anime stereotype or playing off the popularity of popular martial arts actors (Jacky Chan, Bruce Lee, etc.). This was especially evident when you compare it to the VF games which had far more grounded characters, albeit still a few anime stereotypes.

I spent entirely too many quarters in the original in the arcades. :p

Regards,
SB

Oh come on, it was already clowny starting from the original arcade version. Kuma? Yoshimitsu? Armor King? Prototype Jack? Sure it wasn't quite as bad as some of the later entries, but it started with clown stuff and tons of anime stereotypes at its inception. I mean pretty much every single character in Tekken was an anime stereotype or playing off the popularity of popular martial arts actors (Jacky Chan, Bruce Lee, etc.). This was especially evident when you compare it to the VF games which had far more grounded characters, albeit still a few anime stereotypes.

I spent entirely too many quarters in the original in the arcades. :p

Regards,
SB
It was still 100 times more grounded than what we have now.
It was closer to being an homage to martial art movies and martial art character stereotypes and less trying to be a flashy generic supernatural anime type like Steeet Fighter.
It was trying to retain a sense of groundedness and realism within its videogame boundaries and the silliness was the cherry on a cake.

Now its closer to Streer Fighter, dragonball, Naruto and quite often cheap anime.

The series was grounded to a large degree up to Tekken 4 and maybe 5. Since 6 it went off the rails.

Last edited:
It was still 100 times more grounded than what we have now.
It was closer to being an homage to martial art movies and martial art character stereotypes and less trying to be a flashy generic supernatural anime type like Steeet Fighter.
It was trying to retain a sense of groundedness and realism within its videogame boundaries and the silliness was the cherry on a cake.

Now its closer to Streer Fighter, dragonball, Naruto and quite often cheap anime.

The series was grounded to a large degree up to Tekken 4 and maybe 5. Since 6 it went off the rails.

Heihachi and Devil have hair and character designs right out of Dragonball. Kuma is a bear. Jack would have been right at home in a Street Fighter game. King is right out of wrestling mangas and animes. Yoshimitsu is basically an anime character with a supernatural sword that absorbs souls. Etc. Etc.

Tekken is basically Virtua Fighter where every single character in Tekken was an Anime trope.

Regards,
SB

Heihachi and Devil have hair and character designs right out of Dragonball. Kuma is a bear. Jack would have been right at home in a Street Fighter game. King is right out of wrestling mangas and animes. Yoshimitsu is basically an anime character with a supernatural sword that absorbs souls. Etc. Etc.

Tekken is basically Virtua Fighter where every single character in Tekken was an Anime trope.

Regards,
SB
Minor cosmetic details. Jack was closer to Terminator and Universal Soldier. Yoshimitsu playstyle was grounded and was closer to Kage from VF. He wasnt all that supernatural and as flashy as he is now. Even king was closer to a real wrestler and Wolf from VF. Supernatural elements were reserved for the bosses mostly.
Movies were the basis and all martial art archetypes and even the weird characters were adapted to that. The fights didnt look like SF and characters were less chartoons but more like pseudo realistic renditions of these archetypes.
Its different to be inspired by Blade and another by Naruto.
Characters were representing martial arts one way or the other minus some cherries on a cake.
Now you get flashy dancers, vampires, magical characters, exorcists, animes, non existing martial art styles and monsters not based on anything as main introductions. Even 2D characters with 2D playstyles with meters and projectiles.

Just compare how TTT1's fights were and how T7's are.

Last edited:
The idea that Tekken was ever some grounded gritty fighting game series is silly. It's anime nonsense through and through

Yoshimitsu playstyle was grounded and was closer to Kage from VF.

Umm, did you play Yoshimitsu? He was my second most favorite character and his playstyle was anything but grounded. Although I guess his spinning crouch kicks where he spins around like a fidget spinner before falling over (if you keep mashing the button) is on the ground. :D Then there was, of course, the grounded stab yourself in the belly so you can stab the person behind you move. Ooof, that gritty realism. ;)

Regards,
SB

Umm, did you play Yoshimitsu? He was my second most favorite character and his playstyle was anything but grounded. Although I guess his spinning crouch kicks where he spins around like a fidget spinner before falling over (if you keep mashing the button) is on the ground. :D Then there was, of course, the grounded stab yourself in the belly so you can stab the person behind you move. Ooof, that gritty realism. ;)

Regards,
SB
That doesnt make it a flashy "anime". If that was the case, COD would have been considered a flashy "anime" because humans eat a shitload of bullets before they die.
Assassin's creed would have been considered a flashy "anime" because characters eat blades and knives on their bodies without limping or dying, your character heals by doing nothing, his bones dont break when he falls from 10 meters and there is some element from the supernatural. Regardless it is considered to be based on reality.
For comparison Kage in Virtua Fighter can jump 10 meters above and land with his head on the ground without turning his skull into a brain omelet. He can even throw his opponent 10 meters in the sky, jump in mid air, grab him, do a few flips before he lands him on the ground.
Yoshimitsu was presented how a mysterious Ninja Cyborg might have looked like in a movie. He felt like a convincing character and less of a cartoon. Even as a cyborg, Namco gave him realistic humorous undertones, that gave the impression that his abilities had believable limits. Spinning too much made him dizzy like a human even though he was a cyborg. Spinning too much on the ground made him lose balance and fall. That elevated his believability.
Terminator is sci fi but he feels grounded and believable compared to lets say, Guyver. Jack was like the former originally. Jack is literally an overblown anime character in Tekken 8 who can even summon/manifest machine attacks out of thin air. His design is just too much now.
Or lets take Alyssa who is literally looking like a waifu who can throw limps and heads and regrow them out of pure energy, She isnt based on any martial arts movie. She is clearly a character ripped straight out of an anime.

It all has to do with your presentation and knowing the perfect balance between gameplay, realism and fun. Tekken used to have a more grounded presentation, even with its not so realistic elements.
Tekken was all about the cliches and stereotypes of all the martial art movies including their serious and humorous undertones and at the same time knew it was a game. Now it is all the cliches and stereotypes of gen z anime.

Tekken was never Ergheiz, Street Fighter or Tobal.

Last edited:
I cannot even remember the last time I played a Tekken game. Must have been over a decade ago, as my sister and I did try TTT2. But survival horror has been my thing ever since the turn of the century. Although T2 was my very first PS1 game overall. Then I thought T3 was better, and TTT was my favorite, as it had a massive roster, and that bowling mode was fun.

Back