PlayStation 5 DualSense Edge Controllers

I had a DualShock 3 I bought that only charged once before needing it's battery replaced. Also, "normal people" don't replace batteries in Playstation controllers. They just buy a new controller.
What do you mean you bought a DS3 that you charged only once before needing it's battery replaced? :p

What do you mean you bought a DS3 that you charged only once before needing it's battery replaced? :p
Yes. My friend had one he bought and it pushed buttons by itself right out of the box. PS3 controllers are the worst.

Yes. My friend had one he bought and it pushed buttons by itself right out of the box. PS3 controllers are the worst.
Thats weird. I had like 4 PS3 controlers. The only thing I got was a drift on a stick on one of my controllers due to extensive use. Actually the stick itself got misaligned.
But yeah they do feel super cheap. I cant hold one in my hands anymore.

I had a DualShock 3 I bought that only charged once before needing it's battery replaced. Also, "normal people" don't replace batteries in Playstation controllers. They just buy a new controller.

Devices do occasionally shop with bad batteries. I'm not sure why you double-quoted 'normal people', is this some weird attack on people who cannot use google and a screwdriver? :???:

The prevalence of batteries on Amazon suggests that there are a lot of people who replace batteries in devices. I can only speak for myself, but if iFixit says a repair is ten minutes using standard tools then I would go the replacement route. People who cannot afford a new controller, or would use prefer to spend money on something else, will probably work out swapping the battery is an option.

Fixit's business model is predicated on a lot of people wanting to repair things, not replace them.

Devices do occasionally shop with bad batteries. I'm not sure why you double-quoted 'normal people', is this some weird attack on people who cannot use google and a screwdriver? :???:

The prevalence of batteries on Amazon suggests that there are a lot of people who replace batteries in devices. I can only speak for myself, but if iFixit says a repair is ten minutes using standard tools then I would go the replacement route. People who cannot afford a new controller, or would use prefer to spend money on something else, will probably work out swapping the battery is an option.

Fixit's business model is predicated on a lot of people wanting to repair things, not replace them.

I think he meant "average" and I agree. Your average gamer is not going to replace their batteries but rather the controller itself. Personally, the DS and the Elite controllers' form factors are not problematic. I think concerns for battery life in controllers are similar to the concerns for the SSDs' life span due to limited write capacity. On paper it looks bad but in the real world, its a much different story.

Lifespan stats for lithium ion batteries use to be 2-3 years and 500 recharges. Now its 3-5 years and 2000 recharges where end-of-life is a misnomer that simply refers to when a battery's capacity falls to 80%.

I've don't ever recall replacing a controller due to a bad battery. And I would bet that the life span of the batteries on most controllers are rated to outlast their thumbsticks.

I work at a mom and pop video game retailer that does repairs. I talk to normies all day that are amazed when I take a screw out of something. And not just grandmas and stuff. Like legit auto mechanics, people who tell me they build computers, guys that install showers, stuff like that. They look in awe and say things like "I can't believe how fast you got that apart". Trust me, most people who would self identify as normal aren't taking apart their PS3 controller to put in a new battery.

And yes. It's a weird attack. Because I'm using a screw driver. If it was a normal attack I would be using a butter knife or something more normal. But a screw driver is somehow magical and weird.

I've don't ever recall replacing a controller due to a bad battery. And I would bet that the life span of the batteries on most controllers are rated to outlast their thumbsticks.
That is absolutely true in my experience for PS4/XBO controllers. Stick drift is the most common thing with both of those. Bumpers and headphone jacks are common on Xbox controllers, and charge ports are probably the most common PS4 controller issue (after sticks), with face buttons and dpads being fairly regular as well. We are just starting to see batteries be a regular issue, but I suspect that's more from the earlier controllers or from abuse.

It's using the term 'normal' to identify statistical average people. The vast majority do not replace batteries in controllers by unscrewing and putting in a third party device as you suggest. It's not cash-strapped people but far and away most people. They'll only replace batteries if the device is designed that way (which they should be!). Check the viewing figures on those 'replace batteries' videos and compare them to the install base of the PS platforms. Check the number of Favourites and Completeds on iFixit's walkthrough. Look at the number of reviews on Amazon replacement batteries.

If your anecdotal evidence includes many associates who replace batteries unofficially, you keep very technically minded company.

Big pro - easily swappable analog stick assemblies.

Big drawback - small and non-easily swappable battery.

Small but significant drawback - only 2 paddle locations?

It's well designed other than I think there was an opportunity to redesign the chassis somewhat. The user replaceable analog sticks are likely to take up more internal space. Paddle locations are also going to take up internal space.

The leads to there being this weird compromise between needing space for the internal battery versus dedicating more space for another pair of paddle locations. And due to keeping the chassis as close to the standard Dualsense as possible we end up with an unsatisfactory (IMO) compromise for both the battery as well as number of paddles.

The battery issue could have also been at least mitigated if they allowed an easily replaceable battery via an externally accessible battery bay. If they designed the analog sticks to be easily swappable, why not go the extra mile and do the same for the battery via an easily accessible battery bay? At least then even if the battery life is shorter, swapping a new one in would be a piece of cake requiring just a few seconds. And here I'm not even necessarily talking about standard batteries (rechargeable or otherwise) but just an externally accessible LION battery pack.

Regards,
SB

Big pro - easily swappable analog stick assemblies.

Big drawback - small and non-easily swappable battery.

Small but significant drawback - only 2 paddle locations?

It's well designed other than I think there was an opportunity to redesign the chassis somewhat. The user replaceable analog sticks are likely to take up more internal space. Paddle locations are also going to take up internal space.

The leads to there being this weird compromise between needing space for the internal battery versus dedicating more space for another pair of paddle locations. And due to keeping the chassis as close to the standard Dualsense as possible we end up with an unsatisfactory (IMO) compromise for both the battery as well as number of paddles.

The battery issue could have also been at least mitigated if they allowed an easily replaceable battery via an externally accessible battery bay. If they designed the analog sticks to be easily swappable, why not go the extra mile and do the same for the battery via an easily accessible battery bay? At least then even if the battery life is shorter, swapping a new one in would be a piece of cake requiring just a few seconds. And here I'm not even necessarily talking about standard batteries (rechargeable or otherwise) but just an externally accessible LION battery pack.

Regards,
SB

It seems like a good attempt at a higher end controller. I am sure the second gen will be even better and hopefully fix some issues. perhaps Ms and sony can start stealing each others ideas and the elite 3 takes some stuff from this and then sony's next attempt take stuff from the elite 3.

I have not seen what playtime people are getting out of the new controller with the new battery? How bad is it compared to the old controller?

I have not seen what playtime people are getting out of the new controller with the new battery? How bad is it compared to the old controller?
Haven't seen playtime either, but the raw capacity is 67% of the DS, it's at 1050 mAh compared to 1560 mAh. Playtime should fall roughly in line with that, at best, with apples to apples comparison situations (same amount of rumble and haptics and speaker use).

Haven't seen playtime either, but the raw capacity is 67% of the DS, it's at 1050 mAh compared to 1560 mAh. Playtime should fall roughly in line with that, at best, with apples to apples comparison situations (same amount of rumble and haptics and speaker use).
Is it possible that the components in the new controller uses components that uses less power than in the old? I'd assume that would impact it somewhat, albeit maybe not a noticeable amount.

Then again, I am curious, since everybody and their dog can see the issue with the smaller battery, why did they do it? They dont care? Or they have data that says it does not matter across most of the user base?

Is it possible that the components in the new controller uses components that uses less power than in the old? I'd assume that would impact it somewhat, albeit maybe not a noticeable amount.

Then again, I am curious, since everybody and their dog can see the issue with the smaller battery, why did they do it? They dont care? Or they have data that says it does not matter across most of the user base?
They are likely relying on the fact that there are features on the controllers that people want more than better battery life. They can be correct since sony's controllers have always gotten pretty meh battery life.

Some people might not care about charging batteries after every play session.

They are likely relying on the fact that there are features on the controllers that people want more than better battery life. They can be correct since sony's controllers have always gotten pretty meh battery life.

Some people might not care about charging batteries after every play session.
That might be it, but if the controller battery runs down too fast its annoying.

Clearly any efficiency gains can't compensate for the smaller capacity since Sony have publicly stated that the Edge controller has a shorter run time.
As so why? We can only speculate but I do believe that sometimes companies make decisions based on form over function. In this case, I think Sony was keen on keeping to the original controllers physical dimensions. But personally, I would have liked a bigger battery and wireless charging.

That might be it, but if the controller battery runs down too fast its annoying.

I am sure Sony has more than enough data on what the average game time is for the majority of playstation players. I am sure that this new controller will likely have enough power for 1-2 play sessions. I dunno.

I think we will just have to see exactly what type of battery life these things get. I think the type of person buying a $200 controller will justify in their mind if it doesn't get great battery life however.

One of the selling points is a long braided USB cable!

Maybe the expectation is everyone wanting an Elite controller wants lowest latency wired connections anyway?

Back