All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2023 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

At least some people buy some PS4 game. It seems GoW sold 11 million on PS5 and 5.1 million on PS4. It took 9.6 billion to Sony last quarter. I wait confirmation because it looks crazy number.

EDIT: It seems this is an error.

Yes, if you look at their financial report. 1st party full game sales are up. From 11.3 million units to 20.8 million units. 3rd party full game sales are down. From 81.4 million units down to 65.7 million units.

Keep in mind this is during the all important Holiday shopping season when sales for game titles usually shoots up.

If you are cash constrained, are you going to be more willing to spend money on Sony's critically acclaimed titles or on a 3rd party title? Obviously it's different for each person, but where someone in the past might have chosen both, someone now might feel safer spending money on the 1st party title rather than the 3rd party title if they had to choose how to spend their money.

Regards,
SB

Yes, if you look at their financial report. 1st party full game sales are up. From 11.3 million units to 20.8 million units. 3rd party full game sales are down. From 81.4 million units down to 65.7 million units.

Keep in mind this is during the all important Holiday shopping season when sales for game titles usually shoots up.

If you are cash constrained, are you going to be more willing to spend money on Sony's critically acclaimed titles or on a 3rd party title? Obviously it's different for each person, but where someone in the past might have chosen both, someone now might feel safer spending money on the 1st party title rather than the 3rd party title if they had to choose how to spend their money.

Regards,
SB

Again what you are saying make no sense against what he is saying if there was 50 or 60 million PS5 it would make sense. Each PS5 player spend more on games and play more and the percentage of people PS plus subscriber is high. They sold less game because the people don't play PS4 games until having a PS5. I am the perfect example of this I let my PS plus subscription lapse and I don't buy cross gen games at all. I wait digital model will be widely available maybe if the rumored optional disk model appears and I will buy the game I want and subscribe to PS plus extra.

My PS4 Pro isn't broken I could buy Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok on it but no Ps5, no games and no PS plus.

EDIT: GAME offer 200 euros for a PS4 Pro. I will take the offer and take a PS5 digital when I want.

This 3rd 2023 week spanish console sales.

Respecto a la venta de hardware, PlayStation 5 fue la consola más vendida, y se empieza a notar la llegada de consolas al mercado:

• PS5: 8900 unidades (8800 de la versión de disco, 100 del modelo digital)
  • Nintendo Switch: 4250 unidades (2550 de la versión Oled)
  • Xbox Series: 550 unidades (Xbox Series S: 400 unidades; Xbox Series X 150 unidades)

On Amazon.es the digital version is so difficult to find the PS5 digital is more expensive than the PS5 BR. And the PS5 disk is only available via invitation.

FezuCGU.png

Last edited:
Why is Sony doing so well with barely any next gen games...well I guess they don't have to be next gen exclusive to be system sellers, but I would think that would be more attractive
Sony's home consoles have always sold really well, 3 of their first 4 have exceeded 100m units sold making it 3 of the 4 best selling home consoles of all time (it's roughly PS2 155m, Switch 120m, PS4 similar but slightly less, PS1 105m). Even the PS3 hit about 85m despite its very high price for the first few years, making it the 6th best selling of all time (very similar to the 360's total). For whatever reason it's like Sony has the "main" console for a lot of people, although the last 3 generations the competition has been doing far better overall than the first 2 where they barely existed relative to Sony which is good to see

Sony's home consoles have always sold really well, 3 of their first 4 have exceeded 100m units sold making it 3 of the 4 best selling home consoles of all time (it's roughly PS2 155m, Switch 120m, PS4 similar but slightly less, PS1 105m). Even the PS3 hit about 85m despite its very high price for the first few years, making it the 6th best selling of all time (very similar to the 360's total). For whatever reason it's like Sony has the "main" console for a lot of people, although the last 3 generations the competition has been doing far better overall than the first 2 where they barely existed relative to Sony which is good to see
I bought an Xbox last in the 6th gen era. Ps2, GameCube, then Xbox. Even so I really loved it and all the exclusives. In the 7th gen it was my first buy in 2006..I got turned off by Sony's assumption people should get second jobs to afford ps3s and 360 was cheaper and easier to find anyway, on top of stuff like halo 3 waiting in the wings that I was really hyped for.

They did such an amazing job on 360 and capitalized on Sony's issues in that generation to great effect, like how Sony did in the generation after.

Although series s doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves, it's my ticket back into the Xbox ecosystem after entirely skipping the Xbox one, so I personally will thank MS for that. It's real impulse buy territory

All kidding aside, God of War was definitely a VERY significant release.

It always surprises me to be reminded how even super popular titles on PlayStation and Xbox sell relative to the size of the platforms. Near the end of the 360 generation, Halo 3 has sold 14.5m against consoles sales of around 80m at the time (18%). It's an exceptional accomplishment if a title sells to 20% (one in five owners), then you look at Nintendo where many first party titles sell 40-50%.

I remember when Nintendo launched the Switch and they sold copies of Breath of the Wild for Switch than actual Switch consoles.

Just WTaF. :runaway:

It always surprises me to be reminded how even super popular titles on PlayStation and Xbox sell relative to the size of the platforms. Near the end of the 360 generation, Halo 3 has sold 14.5m against consoles sales of around 80m at the time (18%). It's an exceptional accomplishment if a title sells to 20% (one in five owners), then you look at Nintendo where many first party titles sell 40-50%.

I remember when Nintendo launched the Switch and they sold copies of Breath of the Wild for Switch than actual Switch consoles.

That's just par the course for the game industry at large. The amount many games sell on PC relative to the PC userbase is ridiculously small as well.

It's not everyone else that's weird, it's Nintendo that's weird with their first party dominance

That's just par the course for the game industry at large. The amount many games sell on PC relative to the PC userbase is ridiculously small as well.

It's not everyone else that's weird, it's Nintendo that's weird with their first party dominance
Nintendo has being improving their big IPs since decades ago. When you realize their latest Zelda is simply another iteration of their 1986 game and Mario Kard Switch is the latest improvement on their 1992 game. Each games they are polishing and improving the formula. What's difficult is obviously to find the right formula at the design phase, but they can still improve it later or ditch what doesn't work (for instance many of Zelda 2 systems).

Now God of War 2018 and Ragnarok are the latest iteration of their old god of war old games, improving the old formula, keeping what is working well and adding elements that worked in others recent games (TLOU, Tomb Raider). This is why it worked so well for them.

I wish others developers would do the same. For instance Housemarque should absolutely made a Resogun 2 as it's a shame that IP is now dead.

The number of PCs used for gaming is vastly outnumbered by the number of PCs used in an office, so that's not surprising.

The number of PCs used for gaming is vastly outnumbered by the number of PCs used in an office, so that's not surprising.
Even in the case of users who use PCs for gaming it's clearly a large disparity for many games on steam. Like I said it's not something I think is somehow bad. That's how every platform works outside of nintendo. The types of games people play are too different to have a crossover ratio where so many people who owns a machine for gaming will play the same game.

GTA5 has sold eleventy billion units and I still haven't played it yet, same with RDR2.

If you have a large fanbase that loves an IP. If you want to make absolutely gobs of sales and money. You continue refining games in the IP and keep giving them what they love and want.

Nintendo can do what most AAA developers can't do. They can make games the, IMO, "right way".
  1. Focus on gameplay gameplay gameplay gameplay.
  2. After you've nailed the gameplay, then do what you can with the graphics, but the graphics aren't that important because ... gameplay.
Most AAA developers focus on graphics first because you can take a screenshot of graphics, but you can't easily take a screenshot of gameplay. And once they do that, they've already consigned themselves to non-Nintendo like sales.

Sony developers have had the benefit of dipping into Sony's pockets for more development budget and more development time so that they can focus on graphics, story and then gameplay for their big story based games. And a lot of people really like a Movie like storyline wrapped up in a game. If you're going to go graphics first, then story is going to be very important to make people want to experience it with the added benefit that it'll also be a draw to more casual players.

But that said, as well as Sony does compared to other AAA developers, Nintendo does that compared to Sony. Gameplay and continuing to refine and reiterate on an beloved and established IP will generally do the best WRT sale but it's very difficult to consistently nail gameplay that is both fun, compelling and accessible. Most developers can get one of two of those but often mess up the first two when they chase accessibility.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Astonishing numbers all around, that means GTA 5 averaged about 1m sold per month the last 6 months (previously 169m sold as of august 2022) and RDR2's 50m sold means it's firmly in the top 10 best selling games of all time

This weeks Famitsu number's
Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

PlayStation 5 – 76,450 (2,343,017)
Switch OLED Model – 32,780 (3,849,141)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 16,576 (361,727)
Xbox Series S – 14,277 (244,155)
Switch – 12,415 (19,163,038)
Switch Lite – 10,541 (5,195,707)
PlayStation 4 – 953 (7,851,829)
Xbox Series X – 367 (173,885)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 70 (1,190,450)

Not sure what was up last week but both PlayStation and Xbox numbers were up. In PlayStation case way up.

Not sure what was up last week but both PlayStation and Xbox numbers were up. In PlayStation case way up.

More supply, more demand from a game release? I wonder if Harry Potter is popular in Japan, could be people biting next gen for Hogwart's Legacy.

More supply, more demand from a game release? I wonder if Harry Potter is popular in Japan, could be people biting next gen for Hogwart's Legacy.

Yes, it is. That might be it as there wasn't an accompanying spike in PS5 game sales in Japan. Hardware sales were way up but game sales were relatively flat. It'll be interesting to see how the new Harry Potter game does in Japan for its first week.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back